Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Buried within this quarterly report from BlackBerry, is this bullet point under "Q2 Highlights":

Entered into a licensing agreement with telecom joint venture in Indonesia, BB Merah Putih, to manufacture, distribute and promote BlackBerry-branded devices running BlackBerry's secure Android software and applications
And in the Q2 Results, the CEO says:

The company plans to end all internal hardware development and will outsource that function to partners. This allows us to reduce capital requirements and enhance return on invested capital,
So, like Nokia they'll just be -- um -- writing quarterly reports instead of making phones. They've sure fallen a long way since the days they called BlackBerries "CrackBerries" because of their addictive nature, and we used such terms as "BlackBerry Prayer" for the posture users took in meetings when they were looking down at their screens just below the conference table instead of doing whatever business people are supposed to be pretending to do in meetings.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
There were quite a few devs here who left after Elopcalypse to go to develop for the Blackberry 10 OS. Wonder how they're feeling now, abandoned yet again.

Very sad day. Personally, I never understood the love for Blackberry, but many did and they provided an alternative. With them gone, there is no longer an option to buy a smartphone with a qwerty keyboard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, their outsourced Android devices would probably continue to have keyboards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
So, like Nokia they'll just be -- um -- writing quarterly reports instead of making phones.
Only 1/3 of blackberry's revenue is making hardware these days. New strategy will be to sell software/services.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, their outsourced Android devices would probably continue to have keyboards.
I don't think so. It was the internal Blackberry hardware team that made their devices with physical keyboards. No reference designs exist in China for keyboard devices, and I can't see anyone bothering to make one either. If we ever see a new Blackberry, it'll probably be a nasty cheapo yoke from Shenzhen with no keyboard.

Last edited by NokiaFanatic; 2016-09-28 at 15:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
As much as it would perhaps excite some portion of the membership here if that were true, most of their next designs seem to be of the standard-fare keyboardless variety.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Well... damn. Guess I need to rescind my prior comment. Looks like BlackBerry will continue to release devices with physical keyboards after all... Bundyo, buy lottery tickets. NOW.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That's nice, but why is that keyboard vertical?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's nice, but why is that keyboard vertical?
Are you not aware of the BlackBerry Priv?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I am. The question stands.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: