How many hours can you use the devices as a bike computer until you have to recharge the battery?

Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
"Fresh" for me is a positive word - meaning "latest" or "newest", but your use of "but" leads me to think you mean it as a negative" - meaning "rotten" perhaps?
No, I meant that the package is not in garage, as it shouldn't be. Apparently they have some ancient packaged version hanging there on the page.
The code in the garage svn repository is fresh. Just browse to the repository and see the code, if you like to see how it's coded (I sometimes browse projects to learn stuff).

How come that Maemo has these various different versions hanging about? Why not just the latest version?
It's not Maemo that has the versions hanging about, but the developers. eCoach like most software in garage is by community members. It would be nice for people to do occasional spring cleanings, but I guess they are busy developing new things

To see what is available in the repositories, use the Downloads section. That has the latest versions.

Originally Posted by Double Salamander View Post
How many hours can you use the devices as a bike computer until you have to recharge the battery?
Haven't tried for more than an hour yet, it's getting cold in this part of the world.
But I don't see much battery drain in that hour, so I guess three hours is doable with a full battery, with heart rate monitor on.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
If you want to get really outrageous, you could buy the $12 computer off Amazon and write an app to use the N900 camera to "screen scrape" the speed reading off the cheap computer. Seems about as reasonable as trying to hook it up to a magnetic sensor in any other way.

I plan on using the N900 as a bike computer, but hadn't even considered trying to hook it into a magnetic sensor because it's so far out there.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Again, where are you getting eCoach from? As I said earlier, it doesn't seem to be on Maemo Select and on Maemo Garage looks pretty old. (How were they developing an N900 app in May 2008?)
Hey

We will have download link for eCoach in Maemo-Select page with the next maemo.nokia.com site upgrade.

Maybe I should remove all eCoach packages from garage.maemo.org project page because i never remember to update them after new release and there is really no point keeping those packages there because application is distributed in extras-repositories anyway...

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Haven't tried for more than an hour yet, it's getting cold in this part of the world.
But I don't see much battery drain in that hour, so I guess three hours is doable with a full battery, with heart rate monitor on.
Yeah it's snowing here... not so good for the battery

I havent tested how long it will survive with full battery but i have got feedback from some of my testers that it lasts longer than Sports Tracker so Im fine with that

You have analog-to-digital converter in your phone (input jack for microphone). It is possible to cennect sensor directly to it and read information by analising sound signal. You can still listen to music, as far as playback is indeendant from record.

By the way. Magnet does not generate any current, especially sinusoidal. Instead dry reed is used. It conducts only when a magnet is near it. It costs about $0.3. So it is very easy and cheap to construct your own sensor, which could be connected to n900.
And if you connect several reeds in parallel and connect different resistors to these reeds serially, you still would be able to distinguish them. I don't know what for it can be used, but, may be for determining how often you rotate pedals.

Last edited by KiberGus; 2010-06-02 at 09:58.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
You have analog-to-digital converter in your phone (input jack for microphone). It is possible to cennect sensor directly to it and read information by analising sound signal. You can still listen to music, as far as playback is indeendant from record.
Are you saying that you've done that, or just that you think it's possible?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Are you saying that you've done that, or just that you think it's possible?
I haven't done that, but i definitely know, that it is possible. People have successfully used sound cards as oscillograph. Microphone input can register variable current under 2 volts (if i'm not shure about parameters, maximum allowed voltage and current should be investigated).
You should place magint like this on a wheel http://www.chip-dip.ru/product0/9000033861.aspx
Put dry reed (http://www.chip-dip.ru/product0/59097.aspx) on a fork. I was mistaken about price, it costs about $1.5, there are similar pieces for $0.2, but looks like they are out of stock. Then you need a battery to get a power and a resistor, which would adjust voltage and current to needed limits. When magnet is near reed, reed closes circuit and DAC in the phone would be able to detect it. You would also need a 3.5 mm jack nest ($0.8) to connect headphones (if you wish) and 3.5 mm 4pin jack to connect to phone (it's hard to find one, so cut one off from garniture, nokia gave you with the phone).
If you would listen recorded audio you would hear a "click" sound. Such click can be easily detected by software.