Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Well if yuo are using the cellular phone then that would be using the 3G!
BIG difference between "using 3G" and "using 3G with data connection active".

Lets not forget that data connections on the mobile network are PPP. That means it will always sap a little more CPU and bandwidth to keep the connection active compared to just cellular.

Personally, I wish they would hurry up and roll out a SINGLE data connection for everything so we can stop having these annoying layers upon layers of protocols. PPP was never designed for roaming, I am sure roaming performance would improve dramatically if they ditched PPP in favour of something more fit for purpose. They only use PPP as its an easy method for tunneling over various networks and accounting.

Surely with a custom designed protocol for voice and data, it would make establishing a data connection null and void, it would simply need to ask for more bandwidth rather than the current situation where while you have 3G voice you can't even be sure there is 3G data capacity available.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

bottom line is nokia could have used a better battery. i have the same battery n my 5800xm and it can barely run that let alone the n900.

Bottom line is that there is a bug or two causing many of the battery issues. I normally had a full day of battery life, but after installing Pidgin, even if I didnt have it running, I could only last for a few hours. It might be a coincidence, but once I uninstalled Pidgin, I was back to normal. Might have been something else though..

before i sent my n900 in for replacement , i downloaded the cpuload or w/e app that shows you the load on the cpu and memory and it seemed to improve the battery life . just a suggestion , might wanna try it . after you install it it should be where you check battery /change or disconnect interent connection etc . make sure the thing that looks like a webcam is turned off .

Hey guys..
Well I received my N900 yesterday and was afraid about battery life but I can't understand what people are saying about it. I was trying to get the battery to zero tu charge it, and it took an eternity. I didn't install extra-devels, 3g is always off since im in canada and the phone doesn't support our bands, wifi searches every 10 minutes, screen brightness is at 3, 30 seconds delay...... well anyway unplugged it at 20h00 yesterday and I'm still at 68%

Originally Posted by gtessier00 View Post
Hey guys..
Well I received my N900 yesterday and was afraid about battery life but I can't understand what people are saying about it. I was trying to get the battery to zero tu charge it, and it took an eternity. I didn't install extra-devels, 3g is always off since im in canada and the phone doesn't support our bands, wifi searches every 10 minutes, screen brightness is at 3, 30 seconds delay...... well anyway unplugged it at 20h00 yesterday and I'm still at 68%
People, please note that charging is different from average phones. This phone designed to run from battery even charging is plugged, so whenever you see the green light thats the battery started running even its plugged in with charger.

I put my phone fully offline during charge. The minute it's greenlighted I start browsing with 3G or WLAN. Just 10 mins and the battery already loses couple pixels from the statusbar. This awful battery life was a big suprise to me. Can't really do a thing with it if I want to stay connected in case someone calls me. But then again, I'm used to be using E90 and it's huge battery :/

Originally Posted by flux41 View Post
Also, I forgot to mention that after a week it seemed like the battery life got better regardless. I do not know how to explain this, but it just did.
Lithium battery life does get a bit better after the first few recharging cycles, I think?

hi guys
my nokia gives just may be 3 to 4 hrs of continious internet in 3g network and also slowly heats at the back side.
is it same for all or it's just me

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
yes, same here