Notices

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
vote for daemon, with easy start/stop and manual/auto update graphical controls (could be as widget).

The Following User Says Thank You to lidow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by ajack View Post
May I request a configurable daemon only instead? Just want something that updates my location on Google Latitude. Preferably with configurable intervals and types (GSM, GPS) of updates. Nothing more than that. The widget is for those that one a more visual result.
We've got that. A command line Google Latitude update that you can automate via the alarmed program. Latitude update scripts were first posted by MasterZap on page 17 of the following forum:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38542&page=17

Here are the instructions. If you like it, you can install alarmed from your application manager and set it to execute the latitude script at the desired intervals.

#1 install the google latitude python API. This is basically done by:

#1.1 Downloading it from the link:
http://code.google.com/p/google-api-...downloads/list

#1.2 Unzipping it to somewhere (doesn't matter, next step copies it to where it "should go")

#1.3 doing "python setup.py install" in that directory

#1.4 I think you can now delete the directory/file you downloaded, since step 1.3 copied files to some magical place in python package heaven

#2 make sure python-location is installed (If not, do "apt-get install python-location" but mine was already installed)

#3 Create /home/user/latitude and put my version of the script in it

#4 Run it once first to do the authorization magic. It will ask you to go to a link which you (unfortunately) have to cut-n-paste into your webbrowser

#5 Once done, the script should run. You can either sun it as is with "python zaps-latitude-updater.py", or put it into alarmed to be run e.g. every 15 minutes with the "--once" option, so it updates once and just exit, i.e. you can put in "python /home/user/latitude/zaps-latitude-updater.py --once" into AlarmeD

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
How about if i loose the map and instead show an address, a la the android widget? I think the google map uses too much battery anyway, it killed my phone this morning!

Just upoaded version 0.0.3. This should not enter an infinite loop when the position updates, and i removed the map and replaced it with an address like in the android widget. Im yet to try it on my phone, so im keen to see how it look myself!

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
For me it now displays 'Waiting for location'
Since I am indoors most of the time, and buildings in Europe don't pass GPS signals at all, I assume it tries only GPS fix.

Could you at least give an option to only do Cell tower positioning, and not GPS. Not using GPS also plays nicer with the battery

Or maybe team up with they Latitude daemon dev, his Google update code broke but his location code works fine...

Originally Posted by petur View Post
For me it now displays 'Waiting for location'
Since I am indoors most of the time, and buildings in Europe don't pass GPS signals at all, I assume it tries only GPS fix.

Could you at least give an option to only do Cell tower positioning, and not GPS. Not using GPS also plays nicer with the battery

Or maybe team up with they Latitude daemon dev, his Google update code broke but his location code works fine...
the code is supposed to use both gps and cell. It may be a bug in qtmobility, i'll try version 1.2 to see if it helps. I'll also adjust the widget size and add a message saying the web browser can be closed once authorized.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
I have now posted messages in the Power47 and CSSU threads regarding a GPS issue. It looks like something broke, as it takes ages to get a fix, so cell/a-gps may be broken. Nothing to do with your app.

Can you add an option to only use cell? I'm not interested in accurate latitude stats, so cell level is good enough for me.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by piggz View Post
...<snip>
I'll also adjust the widget size and add a message saying the web browser can be closed once authorized.
Hi, you could maybe check khweeteur's code. It also uses the oauth, parses the code and closes the window itself.

Hope it helps in some way.

Just uploaded version 0.0.4, the main change being settings for the positional method. Enjoy!

Hi! Nice app. Is it posible to pause it? (Well, removing widget is not good solution. ).

And, is it posible, that "Non Satelite" is still using gps?

Thx for your work.