Does anybody know if it possible to use N810 as a hands free device with a phone?
As far as I know it requires implementation of bluetooth HFP profile on the tablet size.
Is there any implementation of the profile for OS2008?
Or some open source solution which could be ported?
Thanks!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
bump, I'm also interested in this (for N800).

Originally Posted by vvv View Post
Does anybody know if it possible to use N810 as a hands free device with a phone?
As far as I know it requires implementation of bluetooth HFP profile on the tablet size.
Is there any implementation of the profile for OS2008?
Or some open source solution which could be ported?
Thanks!
Hi!
A bit of search in the forums would tell you that there is an on-going project called selfone, which is in maemo garage: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/selfone/
It seems that one of the developers managed to make it work in a PC environment, but there are no news about Maemo platform.
Good luck and keep in touch!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nickar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
Hi,

Thanks, I did come across that, but noticed it hasn't been updated in a while.

I think this would be a wicked program for the community, unfort I have no skill when it comes to making something like this.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
has anyone seen this or even tried to run or compile it for the tablets. looks very promising. Dunno if it works though http://nohands.sourceforge.net/

gaz

I agree with you Gaz, it does look promising. Also, I just checked on my N800, when I check the profiles it supports with my phone, HFP is there. It looks like it just requires the right software.

This reminds me of when I used a Samsung T10 for a short while. You can tether that to your phone through bluetooth, and it pauses your music when you have a call, and you can use it's built-in mic to use the thing itself as a phone! I found it pretty nifty. If that can do it, the tablet certainly can. Has anyone else used a T10 and knows what I'm on about?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
if you dig about on the mp3car.com forums, there are lots of posts involvoling this where various people have been able to get so far just with command line tools. Looks like it just needs something to tie it together.

I don't have a dev enviroment, otherwise I'd have a bash at downloading the svn and compiling.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Okay, i gave it a try compiling on maemo and it seems that most things work quite well.

I were able to start the hfpd daemon and the hfconsole program and connect to my mobile. I can also initiate a call from my N810, but then it fails transfering the voice. It seems that hfp is using either alsa or OSS to handle the sound and as far as i remember maemo doesn't.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about sound handling in maemo, so maybe some help is required here, but I think on the whole this looks very promising, and it feels as we were pretty close to get this thing working!

Here is a quick summary of things I did to get the hfp running:

First I needed to compile libspeexdsp (http://www.speex.org/ ), which was no problem at all.

Then, to be able to compile HFP, I needed to replace

Code:
dbus_watch_get_unix_fd(dbw)
with

Code:
dbus_watch_get_fd(dbw)
in lines 151 and 154 of ./hfpd/dbus.cpp.
(No, I did not know what I was doing )

After that you have to start hfpd and then hfconsole.
On the second time hfconsole gave me some error about some tooltip or something so I simply commented

Code:
but.set_tooltip_text(tip)
in line 426 of hfconsole (which just seems to be a python script).

Attached are some scrreenshots.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrWeasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
thanks for trying. I have always thought that it could be an awesome car hands free device. Listen to music, if calls come in you press a BIG finger button and answer. I think there are devices like the parrot for that, but hey, i already have my tablet.

Cool, thank you Mrweasel. I've been downloading the maemo sdk VM all weekend so I could have a crack at compiling this myself. In tghe same boat as you though, as I to am limited to poking the code with a stick and no idea!

This indicates that it is doable - looks great though. Hope someone with some experience comes on board as this would be really cool.