Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
There used to be CLI tools to send SMS using the web frontends. Then the CLI tools were blocked, and they started to mask as browser. Then the web frontends decided to use CAPTCHA, and I think that was the end of it.

For Windows Mobile there is a program called SMSoIP.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
i'll look into it probably tonight and see if saunasms could get ported. It is written as qt by a friend of mine. can be used with finnish operator saunalahti that has option of sending smses via their webpage with reasonable pricing. it means that if you are abroad and have wlan access, you get cheaper smses.

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Adelaide, Australia
My VOIP provider has a SOAP API for sending SMS messages. (See <https://www.pennytel.com/api.pdf>). So sending the message is quite straightforward.

It's integrating with Contacts that I'm not sure how to do. Basically I want to add an "SMS via Pennytel" option for any mobile phone number assigned to a contact. Similar to the existing "SIP audio" call option which appears when you have a SIP account enabled. Can anyone tell me where this is handled?

Please, can I ask you...is there some app for sending sms via web, i mean wifi or gprs?! i know WWW2SMS, but it's not finish...please help..thanks

with webtexter application, you can already send sms over voip. it supports all voip betamaxclients like voipbuster and the like. The app has conversations intergration.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ germany
I would also love to have well integrated web-sms. A lot of times I use sipgate for sending SMS (<8ct/SMS). Besides their web page they also have a well defined web-api (using xmlrpc) for their products. Programs interfacing with that api exist in python, perl, C, there's also a GPL'd Firefox-plugin.

My idea of a good implementation of this Brainstorm would be to hook directly into rtcomm like the telepathy plugins do. My dream implementation would least-cost-route SMS through the cheapest available channel with GSM as a fallback.

What we need is a "front-end" working somewhat like telepathy-haze: When you send an SMS this plug-in simply logs the message and gives it to the backend.

The backend should basically be a dbus service with a separate configuration-ui. If you didn't enter any accounts, it sends your message via GSM. Otherwise it should work much like WebTexter, integrating many online SMS services as plug-ins, optimally allowing you to set-up multiple accounts and chosing the cheapest one for sending your SMS.

I think WebTexter combined with more services (o2 germany seems to be provided by the package www2sms) is a very good starting point for our back-end.

Think a little, how are you going to support every VOIP providers differing SMS API?

There is already such apps to uses your free SMS from your operator.
It's called www2sms you can get it from extras-devel, see details here http://maemo.org/packages/view/www2sms/

Usual warning for installing apps from devel applies.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i'll look into it probably tonight and see if saunasms could get ported. It is written as qt by a friend of mine. can be used with finnish operator saunalahti that has option of sending smses via their webpage with reasonable pricing. it means that if you are abroad and have wlan access, you get cheaper smses.
That needs major rewriting with ui. progress is really slow.

It seems to work though but using it is really painful.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Uithoorn, Netherlands
I'm working with the www2sms developer, since I think it is a good proof-of-concept. We have support for another web provider added, and are looking at how to access the address book as well as log text messages.

Ultimately we should use the telepathy framework, which doesn't look that scary. My starting point will probably be here:

http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Python%20Example