Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
how does one create an exact backup of the entire filesystem to mmc card?

what I have is :
#mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /opt
#./mkfs.jffs2 -r /opt -o /media/mmc2/rootfs.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
/bin/sh: ./mkfs.jffs2: not found
The './' part tells it to search for command in current directory. mkfs.jffs2 is inside initfs_flasher/ directory of initfs flasher

These steps will make jffs2 image directly flashable by linux flasher over usb or by mtd-utils (flash_eraseall, nandwrite) when running from device.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I feel embarassed...
I knew this, yet failed to think about it.
Thanks for reminding me.

jffs2 image created successfully

problem: mmc boot, no applets, no programs open works perfectly.

As soon as I insert a media card that has
1) ~2000 ID3-tagged mp3 files
2) 128Mb swap created when it was used as internal mmc
3) that's it

at this point, the cpu jumps to 100% for at least 30min (I'll leave it overnight; tell you the results in a few hours)
As far as I see it- the use of the information stored on this sd card is not available while booting from mmc.
Any reasons why and what I might do to solve this?

Thank you

Ilia

UPDATE: only 7 hours! after this the CPU went back to normal, and the card was recognized correctly.

Last edited by iliaden; 2008-03-19 at 10:41.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lakeland, FL
I have a question/problem and searching doesn't seem to provide any simple solution. I flashed my N800 from OS2007 to the latest OS2008 (51-3 version). Using the nupgrade.sh scripts everything seemed to work OK- until I finished. Everytime I reboot, I get a popup message stating memory card is corrupt. File manager complains the card is not formatted and offers to format it- when I do so it complains that it's unable to and that I should use File Manager to format the card. In OS2007 and the first OS2008, I was able to edit the /usr/sbin/osso-mmc-umount.sh file and "turn on" the DOS partition, but the script is different in the latest version.

Did I miss a step somewhere or is my card truly corrupted? Windows can't find anything wrong with the card.

As soon as I insert a media card that has
1) ~2000 ID3-tagged mp3 files
at this point, the cpu jumps to 100% for at least 30min (I'll leave it overnight; tell you the results in a few hours)
It looks like the metalayer-crawler media indexing daemon has tough time with your media files. How long it takes when you boot from interrnal flash and do same thing? Do you use ext2 or ext3 filesystem on mmc boot partition? This is latest OS2008 firmware or OS2007?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-20 at 05:49.

sorry for omitting that info.

n800, OS2008, 1gb SD card to boot from; booting from ext2.

I thought it was doing this, but when I boot from flas, hand ask the load appelet to show me what processes are running, it shows me metalayer-crawler uses about 30-40%, and the cpu bar isn't at 100%. Oh, and it runs for no more than 5-10 minutes.

why would the boot from the mmc be so different?

Ilia

p.s. what would be the difference in this case between ext2 and ext3? doesn't it come to the same result?

why would the boot from the mmc be so different?
I've seen something similar but don't have so much media files on my card. Hard to say why exactly but the simple answer is that metalayer crawler is badly written or not optimized/tested for running from ext2 filesystem. I guess the problem is that /home/user containing metalayer crawler database is now on MMC and scanned media too so metalayer-crawler both reads and writes (different or even same) mmc card at the same time and the performance is poor because of this concurrent access. 7 hours vs 10 minutes is really pathological and needs fixing. Either it is some real bug or simply bad programming style that does not hurt with internal flash. I guess better write caching when updating the database should help a lot.

p.s. what would be the difference in this case between ext2 and ext3? doesn't it come to the same result?
I guess ext3 could be much slower in this case than ext2 so I hoped you're using ext3 and got those 7 hours.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-21 at 10:10.

Thanks for the guidelines... guess when i'll be using my n800 as a media player, i'll be booting from internal flash

I don't have any media files on internal flash card (except 3 mp3 tracks included into OS2008). Repeated the test with the same flash card - same result (~5-6 hours); tried with another card (~250 mp3 tracks); took me ~30-45 minutes.
Although, when the metalayer-crawler is working, I can play those media files (with canola at least)... so the process isn't mandatory. Yet when I kill it, it automatically restarts. Does any manual solution exist?

Thanks

Ilia

Although, when the metalayer-crawler is working, I can play those media files (with canola at least)... so the process isn't mandatory. Yet when I kill it, it automatically restarts. Does any manual solution exist?
You can disable it altogether if you don't use built-in media player. Search this forum for details, people do it for many reasons. You can remove or rename the /etc/rc2.d/S99metalayer-crawler0 startup script (as root) and reboot but beware that you won't see any media files in built-in player. You can still use it when opening files directly from File Manager.

BTW I have reported your experience in related bug here http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1842

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-25 at 09:37.

thanks.

Regarding the bug you submitted, I have a correction to add: the process does NOT consume extra RAM. Only CPU is drained to 100%; for the RAM, it reports a usage of ~ 3Mb. The device is not paralyzed, yet becomes incredibly slow.

Ilia