From this it seems even the porting of meego on to the N900 maybe in doubt as it seems not to have been confirmed at present?.

http://trac.tspre.org/meetbot/meego-...07.00.log.html

Although as work seems to have stopped on the nCDK, which I believe is the Medfield device hopefully work on the port to the N900 will continue but I assume that depends on Nokia intending releasing a meego handset at some point in the future?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Excuse me for dropping in like this, but since Nokia is cuddling with Microsoft, I wonder how support for the N900 will turn out in the long run.

Of course they will support the phone for the next 3 years, but how about the development of new or current applications? Will Maemo continue if Nokia would drop out? Just my 2 cents on the matter.

And I hope someone could tell if there is a way to mirror the current "N900" repo's (for example by using rsync on a RHEL/Fedora/CentOS based system) ??

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Actually, it's a car. They're part of the automobile consortium that's backing MeeGo, and they've been building the Nokia MeeGo car from the ground up. That's what's taking so long.
Makes sense. The tyre thing, and all.

Maybe they're gonna scrape that and produce windoze cars. Now that'd be something to give chills...

http://fhq.forumer.com/blogs/rsrikan...ill-gates.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Excuse me for dropping in like this, but since Nokia is cuddling with Microsoft, I wonder how support for the N900 will turn out in the long run.

Of course they will support the phone for the next 3 years, but how about the development of new or current applications? Will Maemo continue if Nokia would drop out? Just my 2 cents on the matter.

And I hope someone could tell if there is a way to mirror the current "N900" repo's (for example by using rsync on a RHEL/Fedora/CentOS based system) ??
What do you mean by "they will support the phone for the next 3 years" if you mean Nokia then you appear to have missed the fact that they are no longer supporting the N900 and so there will be no future firmware upgrades. However the Community have now taken over this aspect and so we should get upgrades as long as sufficent Developers/users are interested.

We may get a usable meego port this year but see my post a couple of posts further back on that subject.

Originally Posted by redman View Post
Of course they will support the phone for the next 3 years,
where did you get this idea from ?

n900 has effectively been EOLed by Nokia even before Elop's MS annoucement - thats why there is the community SSU.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by nephridium View Post
Before this surprise election last September who ever even heard of that guy Elop?
I remember him from the times when he gift-wrapped Macromedia and offered it on a silver plate to Adobe... I'm not insinuating anything...

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
I remember him from the times when he gift-wrapped Macromedia and offered it on a silver plate to Adobe... I'm not insinuating anything...
He did, didn't he? - According to the very terse CV on Wikipedia he worked for Macromedia for 7 years and after three months being CEO sold it. The next two jobs he held for one and two years respectively. Let's see how long he'll stay at Nokia...

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post

I mean the N900 can't compete with iOS and Android fart apps crap - it's an intelligent device for intelligent people, how many people using iOS and Android can say they know about openOffice 3.1, debian, ssh, samba? Not many, sure there are a few who do, but percentage-wise about 10% or less is my guess.
Hmm. From your description it sounds more like a device for snobs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Hmm. From your description it sounds more like a device for snobs.
or a device for nerds

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by pasih View Post
So, Jorma Ollila was in public yesterday explaining Nokia's situation. There really wasn't anything new he was saying, but here are some key points of his talk in tv and to the press.

1. He says that they had many options to choose from when thinking of the new OS, since during the last 6 months they've had many offers coming from different OS vendors, although he only mentioned Google and MS by name. He said that MS was the best choice. He also pointed out that it was Nokia who was calling the shots, and they chose MS.

2. They still have no idea how many people will lose their jobs in Finland, but that they'll find in coming weeks or months. I suppose that the amount of people getting kicked from MeeGo and Qt departments will probably really tell what's going to happen with MeeGo and Qt.

3. He says that during the last 9 months he has received zero pressure from any shareholders either in Finland or abroad on who to choose for the new CEO, but he said that he received some pressure to remove Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo on the spring of 2010. He didn't really comment on the rumours that he wanted to have Anssi Vanjoki as a CEO, but reading between the lines I'd say the rumours were not true.

4. He says that moving to MS software was a brave (and possibly one can translate it to risky as well) decision and that the shareholders have been very positive about it. It must be said that Nokia has made some drastic changes during its history, and Ollila clearly wanted to make this change to look as one, too.

5. He commented on Elop being a Trojan horse: "Nonsense".

6. He said that US has passed Finland and Europe on being on top of communication technology, and that Nokia couldn't offer the best overall experience when using a smartphone. Well, personally I can only say that Nokia itself fuqqed this one up, since they've used billions of euros on R'n'D but haven't really brought out innovation.

7. The interviewer did bring out the fact that Ollila has been the chairman of the board, and as such was partly responsible for Nokia's situation. Ollila practically said that iPhone changed the game with its user interface, and that overall the change in the smartphone industry has been exceptional and fast. He didn't really start blaming anyone, and said that there's no use of looking back, but that we should look into the future.

8. On Elop's burning platform analogue: he said that he's used that analogue himself earlier and that it's used to make the workers understand the need for change.

9. He said that Symbian will sell well during the time before Windows phones arrive. When he was asked why they had to tell about the Windows phone so much before the first one comes out he said that they had to tell it because cooperation between Nokia and MS will be so big that there was no choice (meaning probably that the word would come out pretty soon in any case).

10. And he said that one MeeGo-phone is going to be released. Unfortunately I don't think he really said anything more about MeeGo.

There possibly was more to his words, but this is what I remember. Ollila is pretty convincing, and I must personally admit that I'd wish he'd stayed as a CEO instead of Kallasvuod. But there's no denying that he's been chairman of the board during the last few years when Symbian was stagnating, and Nokia has been getting behind the competition.

But what can I say, Nokia is a corporation and Ollila is a shrewd businessman and Nokia is looking for a profit. In that sense I understand their MS-decision. On the other hand they could've achieved so much more during the last years, since I'm pretty sure their R'n'D has come up with great innovations in user interfaces and in the hardware. The shakeup was really needed but personally I wish they'd gone with MeeGo instead. It remains to be seen what happens with MeeGo.
This is a great post. He is a clever man. What happened at Nokia is no different than what happened at other companies content at their lead and unable to innovate. And he did the right thing of aligning with MS. Nokia is seriously fighting for survival and has become the butt of archaic OS jokes. To succeed they need a closed, and disciplined system that will generate profit. I have no doubt if successful, they will continue to support Meego and other projects. I dont think that the only beneficiary will be MS. I think that Nokia will continue to look for its own OS in the future, but they need to survive first.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org