Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
OMG What the hell is that ancient, dead language?
That made me Lulz out loud...

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Here's a quote from one of my Australian friends on Facebook:
Dan Ramos, hope weather is calmer hey i have had my Galaxy S2 for a few days and super love it. but i'm gonna have to read up on rooting it (pros and cons) as all that is new. but i will need to, to get rid of bloatware that has come attached from my new carrier.
So far, it's seems like a ringing endorsement from at least one of my friends who already glommed onto one and become a proud new owner.
The phone is quality, what can I say? If I were buying a phone today, there would be no other choice... Well, if that phone were available in Canada, there would be no other choice. It strikes the perfect chord of features without a huge deficit in a key area -- which is rare in any device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
To me the improvements from Samsung's grunty Hummingbird to the Exynos is small, and even smaller where there is nothing to take advantage of the new power (actually Mali400 is worse than sgx540 eg/textures).

If the SGSII came with a good quality keyboard I would make the change. But for now my options are kept open, and my current device loses value

Perhaps the SGS II "L" with an OMAP4430 ??

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is a rather cheeky vid by LG that pits its Optimus Black against the competition.
WARNING: this is not scientific in the least so skip if you are not willing to waste your time.
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGMyJ6hs7Ac

They use cute names for the competition:
Waffle's Ivan --> Apple iPhone
Samson's Gary S Jr --> Samsung Galaxy S II
Sonic's Archie --> Sony Xperia Arc
Hightech's Dwane --> HTC ???

Har har...
Hightech's Dwane --> HTC HD2 (see at 1:13, it has 5 buttons, not really a fair comparison in this test I say).
LG Optimus Black = Samuel L Jacksons penis (according to YouTube comment lol)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Here's another video of Shadowgun on the Tegra 2. Amazing graphics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TGlA5uihtA

Here are more Tegra 3 demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNxbbJgSMQ

The last demo (windmill) either looks as if it's using relief textures on the bricks, or a very high polygon count. Either way it's impressive as the former is a fine testament to the shader performance of Kal-el and the later would be a testament to the geometry performance.

Very, very nice...

I can't wait to see what the competition brings out!

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-06-04 at 14:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
To me the improvements from Samsung's grunty Hummingbird to the Exynos is small, and even smaller where there is nothing to take advantage of the new power (actually Mali400 is worse than sgx540 eg/textures).
What is that actually based on? I'm genuinely curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
After having watched the ShadowGun demo, I was thinking about First Person Shooters on tablets, and I think it can be done almost as well as with a keyboard/mouse.

Hear me out for a moment.

I have a long history of playing FPSs with a keyboard and mouse. In fact it's my preferred method of input. What feels awkward at first becomes very natural for controlling your character on screen and offers ground for amazing levels of precision. The mouse allows you to look around accurately and extremely quickly for split-second actions. I have not found the same level of proficiency with a console controller. It thus perplexes me that tablets would try to emulate the console controller.

On a tablet, most games use the tablet screen as a controller that you hold it with your hands and use your thumbs to hit virtual buttons. While this scheme works, I think it could be far more effective with an alternate control scheme (if only as an option).

Picture this: Instead of holding the tablet in your hands, you lay the tablet flat on a table.

LEFT HAND
On the left, your middle finger is free to drag around which controls your characters movement (forward, back, strafe-left, strafe-right). Your index finger on your left hand can quickly tap to make the character jump whilst moving. This is important as it makes it possible to move around without losing 'balance' while trying to jump with an unnatural gesture -- it should feel very natural.

Alternatively, the left part of the screen can mimic the keyboard with up/down/left/right targets, and a quick double-tap gesture to jump. This would mean that you lose analog movement, but would still be quite easy to get around.

RIGHT HAND
On the right, you use your middle finger to look around, or change the direction of your character. The sensitivity should be increased quite a bit. It should be possible to look around very quickly with a single swipe, rather than requiring 5 or 6. You can fire your weapon with a single tap of the index finger on your right hand -- as you may have guessed, holding down your index finger would allow you to continually shoot.

Your ring finger that would always fall right of the middle finger could control a different action altogether. It could be purposed as a crouch, or a generalized action button.

CONCLUSION
In this scheme, there is no searching for buttons, and you can move, jump, position, and shoot simultaneously and without losing balance.

The current 'console' scheme largely forces you to do only two things at once, as you're using your two thumbs to control the character. You can look around but not shoot. You can move around, but not jump, etc.

It think that with a scheme like this, a tablet can be as effective as a keyboard/mouse, and because of the touch screen can provide new ways to play (eg. NOVA mini puzzles on-screen).

If there was no Flash support on Android, we wouldn't be able to watch mild-mannered Canadians getting pranked....

Not in any way Android related.. It's a slow day...
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/1221.../ID=1965135497

While we're off-topic, enjoy this very entertaining CBC show about entrepreneur pitching their business ideas for venture-capital. Dragons Den:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/Drag.../ID=1753935964

Watch on your Android tablets!

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-06-04 at 15:04.

Something seems terribly amis with the battery and the battery metre on my Tab. If I am playing Drag Racing for example (which I highly highly highly recommend) I virtually need to keep the Tab plugged as it barely lasts an hour. Even with just basic browsing I can barely do a few hours. The battery metre also seems off cause it will be showing almost full charge and then a few minutes later I get battery critical message. When it dies a minute later and I switch it back on it comes on and shows about a quarter charge which shows the metre was off when it showed empty.

Any ideas how to fix these issues? Presumably an upgrade to Gingerbread would help but that doesn't seem to be an option as I can't connect in Kies mode and not even sure the update is available where I live (probably not).

Do I need to reformat the device? If I do is there a way to back up the whole device to PC for free?

Is there a background process that could be eating the battery? If so how do I find out?

Any ideas much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Something seems terribly amis with the battery and the battery metre on my Tab. If I am playing Drag Racing for example (which I highly highly highly recommend) I virtually need to keep the Tab plugged as it barely lasts an hour. Even with just basic browsing I can barely do a few hours. The battery metre also seems off cause it will be showing almost full charge and then a few minutes later I get battery critical message. When it dies a minute later and I switch it back on it comes on and shows about a quarter charge which shows the metre was off when it showed empty.

Any ideas how to fix these issues? Presumably an upgrade to Gingerbread would help but that doesn't seem to be an option as I can't connect in Kies mode and not even sure the update is available where I live (probably not).

Do I need to reformat the device? If I do is there a way to back up the whole device to PC for free?

Is there a background process that could be eating the battery? If so how do I find out?

Nice to see the thread's father return!

I would help if I could, but I wouldn't know where to start. My thoughts are that it could be a hardware issue (eg. the battery), or it could be a problem with an out-of-control task that's draining the battery.

My advice (FWIW) is to run tests that isolate only one variable and try to make a determination based on that before moving on to another test. For example, see how long the tablet will run down if you touch nothing, and note the drain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post

Have you tried to re-calibrate the battery? Apparently, flashing roms can screw up the battery calibration, and require re-calibration. Clockwork recovery can do it, there's also an app in the market to do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy