Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Anyone know if it'd be possible to setup a dyndns client on the N900, and then SSH into it remotely at will? I'm guessing there's probably no client at this point, but you can probably script something in bash to take care of updating your IP address. Of course I'd lock down SSH with public/private key pair and other security features to keep OpenSSH from being hacked, but I think it'd be slick to be able to SSH into your N900 no matter where you're at. That might open up some possibilities to launch VNC as well, and view the screen remotely or do other tunneling activites.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
On t-mobile's (USA) cheapest data plan, I can't seem to ssh back into my n900 by the IP. I'm thinking of having it ssh into my webhost and maintain a reverse ssh tunnel, so I can get into it that way. Also, it really shouldn't be hard to get the desktop linux dyndns client packaged. The only thing is having to use dbus-monitor or connler (both from maemo4, might need an update) to have the script run when the dbus message goes out that an inet connection was made.

-John

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Most dynamic DNS update client should be portable without too much trouble. However a device like the N900 is going to be behind NAT most of the time so even if you can locate it by hostname inbound SSH access won't be possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
The only thing is having to use dbus-monitor or connler (both from maemo4, might need an update) to have the script run when the dbus message goes out that an inet connection was made.
A script in /etc/network/if-up.d would be a much easier and more "natural" way to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
ez-ipupdate and autossh maybe?

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@lma: huh. For some reason I thought those didn't get run in all situations, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
I've been trying to get les to create a guide for us noobs on how to do the DYNDNS thing, since we can't learn how to do it if people are willing to teach us.

les mentioned something about using a dyndns site along with Apache ( what's that? ) on his N900 which would allow him to share his data via phone.

If anyone else want's to create a guide, I'm eager to learn.

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following User Says Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Anyone willing to write up a guide??

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Iowa, USA
There are hundreds of tutorials for setting up Apache. Google "apache web server debian" and you'll find a boatload of info.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
On t-mobile's (USA) cheapest data plan, I can't seem to ssh back into my n900 by the IP. I'm thinking of having it ssh into my webhost and maintain a reverse ssh tunnel, so I can get into it that way. Also, it really shouldn't be hard to get the desktop linux dyndns client packaged. The only thing is having to use dbus-monitor or connler (both from maemo4, might need an update) to have the script run when the dbus message goes out that an inet connection was made.

-John
Sounds like the way to go. I guess it didn't even cross my mind that the N900 on T-Mobile is probably NATed. Reverse SSH tunnel FTW. So honestly, dyndns isn't necessary on the N900, you're not going to connect to the N900 directly, but rather go through a webhost which would actually be the server needing a Dyndns client on it.