Hi I have been looking everywhere for info about attaching my ipod to n800 as a hdd but have found NOTHING on the subject. Not even a "you cant do that". I have hooked it up with the ipod cord and a usb female to usb mini adapter. I usb control in host mode and it does recognize it "BUs 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:1261 Apple Computer, Inc."
But then it says "unable to connect. No file system available". What do I need to make this work? As long as I can access the hdd feature of my ipod I will be extatic. I will just put my music folders directly to the hdd and wipe out my itunes.
I am a noob from hell, I realize this and the reason there is no info published might be because everybody knows you can't or something, but I successfully attached a 1tb hdd to the n800 and it worked fine, and the ipod has its own power source so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If anyone knows anything I would be eternally grateful for the knowledge. Thanks in advance, Jman

Should be exactly the same issues with the N8x0 as any other Linux machine; a brief google makes it look like it only works via libgpod, and that needs to be a pretty new version. No evidence that it even has a mass-storage mode, but that was just a quick glance.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by jman2udude View Post
... but I successfully attached a 1tb hdd to the n800 and it worked fine, and the ipod has its own power source so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If anyone knows anything I would be eternally grateful for the knowledge. Thanks in advance, Jman
More info on your 1tb hdd. brand/make/how long it last and how reliable etc.

Originally Posted by jman2udude View Post
... cannot connect, no file system available...
It means alot of thing. Very non specific. 1st come to mind, your USB is not able to refresh the system, i.e., it does not spin the ipod. Try the usual thing, reboot the system, hook and unhook the USB, similar project is going on here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23304.

bun

you need a powered usb hub- the n8xx will try to power up the ipod from its usb see this thread http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20525

The Following User Says Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
What If I took the power pins out of the ipod usb? I saw a diagram of the usb wires hooked to the pins and 2 of the 4 are for power. I opened up the insulation but there are no seperate wires for the ipod usb so I think I would have to remove the pins some how(any ideas how to do that without screwing the whole thing up?). If I did that, the ipod couldn't draw current from the n800,right? Would the usb still carry data between the two? What do you guys think?