Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
http://wmpoweruser.com/mainstream-su...eptember-2014/

Is this relevant?
I'd say yes. Shows how little WP8 will be supported. This is on the lines of the lack of support that MeeGo/Maemo got for their respective devices and we complained about that.

But WP7 and WP8 were supposed to be different.

So far, not as much it seems. Lack of sales is being supported by the ongoing feeling that Microsoft will leave your device in a state where it will not get updated and you have to buy a new device in under the time your subsidy - if subsidized that is in countries that offered it with that option.

Not cool at all.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
In which year?

Again, in which year? 2007, yes. 2012, no. 2011, still no. 2010, perhaps. So I ask for clarification on which year you're speaking on please.
Remember what happened Q1 2011? The inevitable decline of Symbian was obviously going to take Ovi down with it.

2010 Revenue:
NOKIA Ovi store $105 million (719% year-on-year growth)
Android Marketplace $102 million (861% year-on-year growth)

Also remember at that point Qt Creator/Qt Quick was only just out as beta so NOKIA's apps were being created with rather less pleasant development tools.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Elop's bull5h1t about 'differentiation' has been exposed for what it is too with every WPx phone manufacturer producing models that look the spitting image of NOKIA's Lumia devices (only cheaper).
Is that so? I think that the new Nokia Lumia range 520-920 really does stand out against the competition. The shapes and colors used fit the OS very well and the whole product really does look good and different imho.
Also the prices seem to be very competitive and attractive.

I don't any own any lumia devices (yet), so I can't speak from experience if they really are good, but I'm tempted to try one in the near future.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Is that so? I think that the new Nokia Lumia range 520-920 really does stand out against the competition. The shapes and colors used fit the OS very well and the whole product really does look good and different imho.

Snap!

^

Doesn't help, the OS looks still shitty. I had a very quick look at blackberry 10 today and I liked what I saw. Next to it was the Nokia 920, and wp8 looks like ****, sorry. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like it when things look like somebody put some effort in it.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
If they fired him now, what would they do?

WP is a failure.

Symbian is dead.

MeeGo/Harmattan is dead.

Getting another OS spun up would take how long for Nokia? They don't have the time, anyway. They certainly don't have the time to restart/update Symbian or MeeGo.

Elop sold the Board a bag of air, I suspect at this point they see where this is going, they have no viable alternatives, so they just ride it out til Nokia is completely irrelevant or dead. Hopefully they manage to extract every last cent or Euro for their own benefit before the end.

Originally Posted by fongo View Post

WP is a failure.

Symbian is dead.

MeeGo/Harmattan is dead.

Getting another OS spun up would take how long for Nokia? They don't have the time, anyway. They certainly don't have the time to restart/update Symbian or MeeGo.
Elop sold the Board a bag of air, I suspect at this point they see where this is going, they have no viable alternatives, so they just ride it out til Nokia is completely irrelevant or dead. Hopefully they
manage to extract every last cent or Euro for their own benefit before the end.
Meego harmattan is still better than wp8 or Android. Why not restart development.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by kike View Post
Meego harmattan is still better than wp8 or Android. Why not restart development.
They can't. Because they've lost all their engineers

Originally Posted by fongo View Post
WP is a failure.
Symbian is dead.
MeeGo/Harmattan is dead.

The people who created MeeGo are still active in the mobile industry and they're looking for licensees.

Canonical are looking for partners.

Firefox OS has a lot of backing.

Then, of course, there's Android.