Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
No no no, I'm sure it's because the one engineer who's supposed to talk to us is Qgil... and he already knows us.
Isn't Qgil supposed to be at Wikimedia Foundation not Jolla?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Isn't Qgil supposed to be at Wikimedia Foundation not Jolla?
A bit of self-deprecating sarcasm, lad.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I hate to say it, but I think Ubuntu has got their **** together far better than Sailfish/Jolla....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cpWHJDLsqTU
Sure their phone's not due till Q4 or Q1 2014, but everything is just far more organised/cohesive...
Their community's far more massive & better coordinated such that, by the time they do have it on their own hw, it'll be way more solid than Sailfish.
I reckon this time next year we'll hear about Ubuntu tracking quite well, but Sailfish/Jolla really starting to struggle, I hope I'm very wrong though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-10 at 09:06. Reason: typo

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
..and if yes, hopefully an compatible fork will be done. I don't "trust" / really want Canonical's stuff.

One has to give to Canonical - they can make good PR campaign. Jolla has still something to learn in this regard. PR however doesn't equate the good product and eventual success. But it wouldn't hurt for Jolla to build their public relations more solidly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I got a PM from stskeeps a few days ago that we should proceed with our original plans regardless...
As it's clear that the BoD's method of approach is quite different to what we'd originally planned/discussed.*
He said to just put it all in a PDF(s) & send it to press@jolla.com + CC two other addresses (I'll PM them to anyone who's interested in taking the reins).
I responded asking; "Isn't it best we go via BoD/Council?" but I've not had a response yet....

*Much of my PM discussion with timsamof I CC'd to stskeeps & the two main editors, but not the last several PM's.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-10 at 09:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I hate to say it, but I think Ubuntu has got their **** together far better than Sailfish/Jolla....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cpWHJDLsqTU
Sure their phone's not due till Q4 or Q1 2014, but everything is just far more organised/cohesive...
Their community's far more massive & better coordinated such that, by the time they do have it on their own hw, it'll be way more solid than Sailfish.
I reckon this time next year we'll hear about Ubuntu tracking quite well, but Sailfish/Jolla really starting to struggle, I hope I'm very wrong though.
They may have it a bit more 'together' than you even realize and may come far sooner than you think:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ubu...oid,20305.html
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I'd say if council will do it so slowly, we better send it as planned before. Jolla knows the situation in general, and they don't need too much formalities like communication through the council only.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
They may have it a bit more 'together' than you even realize and may come far sooner than you think:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ubu...oid,20305.html
Well yes it was already well-known that the images are coming very soon, I wasn't specifically referring to just that though, they "seem" more together for a whole raft of factors/reasons.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'd say if council will do it so slowly, we better send it as planned before. Jolla knows the situation in general, and they don't need too much formalities like communication through the council only.
So does anyone want to run with it? I thought I'd be a lot less busy at the start of this yr but it's not looking that way, I suspect I can't be much more than a spectator.
As we get answers (or at least clarifications) I'll move them from the docs to a Wiki*, time permitting, & assuming I haven't been beaten to that task!

*maemo.org wiki still foobared? If so then we may have to convince Sailfish to allow access to theirs.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-10 at 10:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Can I take the questions, modify them and send them?
If you think you can do a good job of it I'll give you access to finish-off:

*Removing duplicate/redundant content (if any) & improve clarity of existing content
*Moving answered content elsewhere (maybe dump it all into a Google doc until we have a suitable Wiki)
*Adding new content (if you can see anything that's missing)
*Converting the entire thing to 2 PDF's & sending them to 3 addresses (some leads on how to do that is here)

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-10 at 11:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open