Posts: 84 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Damascus Syria
hello guys

Since a couple of days ago, and after I downloaded KP50 ,I faced charging problem. Sometimes the charger starts charging after 20 seconds after I plug the charger in the device and sometimes it doesn't charge at all.
As I can see the usb port is still strong and not moving when I plug cable in it.
So I'm not sure but is this a typical usb problem that requires soldering to be solved??
or what the problem could be?
could it be the new KP that I downloaded?

And also when I try to connect the phone to the PC it start charging for 5 seconds and then it shows the notification "not charging" and the battery symbol in status area show that it's not charging the led also shows the same thing.
But the weird thing is that in status menu in the battery's bar there's written "charging"

Edit:
BTW the reason why I think it is a problem resulted from kernel power 50 is that when I try to charge my phone by connecting it to the PC- Motherboard's built-in USB ports it charges well.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Weird things like that happening can be signs that the usb problem is at hand. They can start intermittently and mislead users as to the cause, till they get worse.

It is sensible to take action against the usb problem before it shuts down your N900 rather than afterward.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Weird things like that happening can be signs that the usb problem is at hand. They can start intermittently and mislead users as to the cause, till they get worse.

It is sensible to take action against the usb problem before it shuts down your N900 rather than afterward.
Yes this is true, and almost true about everything with wires/mechanical stuff (Devices, engines etc....), for the most part you get these warnings, but the standard thing that people do is to ignore them as a glitch and then boom baby, your device fails...

So i would say the same as geneven, check it out to be sure, don't have to get you soldering iron, just open it up and preferentially look it over with a magnifying glass.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by AnasSyria View Post
And also when I try to connect the phone to the PC it start charging for 5 seconds and then it shows the notification "not charging" and the battery symbol in status area show that it's not charging the led also shows the same thing.
But the weird thing is that in status menu in the battery's bar there's written "charging"

Edit:
BTW the reason why I think it is a problem resulted from kernel power 50 is that when I try to charge my phone by connecting it to the PC- Motherboard's built-in USB ports it charges well.
You contradict yourself, does it or does it not charge well when connected to your PC?

In any case. the "Not charging" message is what you get when the N900 is using more power than the charger is supplying. Most (but not all) USB ports don't supply more than 500mA (@5V) and the N900 can easily use more than that in moderate to heavy use.

From what you describe, I'm not sure it is a problem with your N900s USB socket, but I wouldn't rule it out either, can you be sure it is not a problem with the cables or charger you are using?

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to reinforce the sides of the USB socket with solder before any problems arise, it is much easier doing it now than fixing it after it breaks.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Damascus Syria
@geneven, @dr_frost_dk

Thanks . Yes I should have soldered it before now . But I was just waiting to have the appropriate -smaller- tools as I still don't know how to remove the microsd softly/safely because Iast time I've put heavy pressure to remove it but I couldn't).

@retsaw

-Actually I meant that the USB ports that are directly compact with the motherboard give better quality power than those ports of the PC case's body (as you know the latter are not compact with MB's body but rather connected to it with wires).

-Regarding the cables and chargers, I'm pretty sure that they are in a good condition.

-Yes sometimes it shows notification that the phone using more power than what it's receiving.
(but evethough this problem happens in standby mode).

And this is the point that makes me consider the newly installed KP50 as a potential trigger for this problem as it could be using power excessively .
I tried to use maemo default kernel but the same problem happens?.

Could the battery be the weakest link?

Last edited by AnasSyria; 2012-04-08 at 13:12.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Hi Guys,
This is my another internal mod and again based on dr_frost_dk idea so big thanks to him!
This has been done to my second n900 which is kind of guinea pig. No worries though it hasn't been hurt and is happy as never before!

If you're into hi-res pictures these can be downloaded from here. There are 25 photos, so a few more than you can see below...

Hopefully someone will find it helpful. By the way I might be able to help less brave and able people in strengthening usb ports of their n900s. Usual terms and conditions apply.
Attached Images

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Nice one sEKI, i have added a link to your post in post #1

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Yes this is true, and almost true about everything with wires/mechanical stuff (Devices, engines etc....), for the most part you get these warnings, but the standard thing that people do is to ignore them as a glitch and then boom baby, your device fails...

So i would say the same as geneven, check it out to be sure, don't have to get you soldering iron, just open it up and preferentially look it over with a magnifying glass.
This basically means that I'm so gonna get fcked really hard in da butt. I dropped my N900 yesterday a distance of ~2m... while it was plugged to the charger. It fell off and was literally "hanged" by the charger cord, oh gosh such a scenery, reminded me of Braveheart :P

I can see that the port is certainly displaced a small distance downwards, the port is still working by all means although recently I have discovered that plugging the device into the charger does not work, I should re-do that at least twice until it starts charging.

Another one down, sadly though, I do not have the guts to open my N900 and solder it (had some pretty bad-as* experiences with similar operations on some mobos in the past...)

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Nice one sEKI, i have added a link to your post in post #1
Thanks, just learning from you... I'm honored to see my name in the first post. I can also cover USB strengthening in United Kingdom in my spare time if you're willing to add me to the list.

The Following User Says Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
ammyt You could just start by opening it and see if there are any visible damage to to USB, sEKI has a nice picture guide to dismantle and fix USB, it is a few posts back (else linked in post #1)
It is pretty easy to take your N900 apart, and will give you a sense of where to go from there.

sEKI You have been added to the contact list in post #1, covering UK