The "communication error" started to pop up about a year ago on my N900. It took about 2-3 weeks until the phone was completely unusable. I didnt think about repairing it as I thought the warranty was only 6 months. I got an Android phone instead and put the N900 away in my electronic scrap box.
Now as Android starts to annoy me more and more every day I picked up the N900 again, charged it and ... well ... "communication error" again. I went to the operator store and they told there are 2 years of warranty!
The phone is now on its way back to Nokia - hope they will fix it!

spoke with nokia today and they suggested reflashing. since im out of warranty they referred me to http://www.palcocellphonerepair.com/ for repairs and after speaking with palco it looks like it'll cost around $68 to fix.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by PHILzstift View Post
If you can find a Nokia Service Point they will send it to Nokia ... they did so in my case. They didn't want o see any inquiry or something.
But beware ... they could not repair it and they have no N900 so i got an E7. I'm now trying to contact amazon (i bought it there) but they also have no N900 ... :-(

Maybe I'll get an N9 .... ha ha ha ;-)
Same story here. Except my E7 is still on route.

@Millsy1 You don't need proof of purchase, you need the warranty card - it's a paper that states the date of purchase, the IMEI and the issuer of the card. It's not really a card, it's an A4 paper folded in two.

When I sent it to Nokia, they said I didn't need any of them, since all N900s were in warranty, seeing how it was released under 2 years. When I sent it it, they returned the invoice and adjacent papers, but they kept the warranty card. Since I'm not getting it back, it's OK.

The only option they gave me is to contact the seller and ask them for a replacement N900, and they would arrange the exchange. Unfortunately, I ordered it from the other side of the country, so I'm not going there. I took the E7.

Feels odd to go Symbian, but I'm low on alternatives.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England Uk
Sent N900 to nokia via ups courier last monday they just sent it back saying it was repaired but when open package they had sent Nokia N8 and no notes to say it had been swapped or anything, so i rang them up stating i want a N900 not this piece of crap N8 and after they told me i will have to wait for a call from the escualations dept.
Not impressed at all

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Similar thing has now happened to me. Having sent my N900 to Vodafone repair centre, with a detailed explanation of the problem and the methods that I have tried to resolve the error, Vodafone have now got back to me yesterday. They said that they were unable to repair my phone but would be happy to offer me a brand new Nokia N8 free of charge. Ha ha ha. That made me laugh that one. So I said no thank you, so they then told me that they would have to send it on to Nokia, and I would probably have to wait another week. I have a good idea of the next thing that I am going to be told. Well, I'll wait and see and let you know what happens. Not impressed so far.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England Uk
Got another call back from nokia escualations dept yesterday after first trying to offer me a N8 yet again
They then tryed offering me a E7 which i refused.
5 minutes later rang me and said they had sourced me a N900 which is being delivered tuesday

Originally Posted by Digicom View Post
Sent N900 to nokia via ups courier last monday they just sent it back saying it was repaired but when open package they had sent Nokia N8 and no notes to say it had been swapped or anything, so i rang them up stating i want a N900 not this piece of crap N8 and after they told me i will have to wait for a call from the escualations dept.
Not impressed at all

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Originally Posted by Digicom View Post
Got another call back from nokia escualations dept yesterday after first trying to offer me a N8 yet again
They then tryed offering me a E7 which i refused.
5 minutes later rang me and said they had sourced me a N900 which is being delivered tuesday
Glad to hear you have an N900 on the way. Hopefully they can "source" me one as well.

i resolve this problem by this :

1- download emmc the last one
2- download the last flasher software

do this and

1- install emmc flasher in your n900.. after that quickly & immediately install the last flasher software up on emmc

if the first time not doing will ... do it one or tow or three or more until it will don like this :

Sending and flashing rootfs image (185856 kB)...
100% (185856 of 185856 kB, avg. 11460 kB/s)
Finishing flashing... done
CMT flashing done
that is my story >> am swear its good for me
it will good for you too if you try it

am sorry ....
its work with me one day and the problem was return ...

what the hell problem in n900 ... i will born my mobile if the problem not fix ..

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello guys,

I have had the 'communication error' since today.
First i rebooted the device 5 times but the problem came back every time within 30 minutes.

Now i have removed the SIM card and applied some pressure on the circuit board. After that i used a small knife to bend the contacts that connect to the SIM card all a little upwards.

I do not know if it is a coincidence but now after booting the device i have not had the problem since.

Maybe this will work for you guys too.

Good luck.

Tags
antenna, communication, depressing, disabled, error, problem, telephony