Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
R-R, if you look at TI, Marvel, Qualcomm, Imagination, ARM and etc you will see that even if the visible business is to sell hardware, there is also business around drivers, patents, specifications, particular implementations...

It's a complicated world and, indeed, it's changing. The push of Intel to mobile hardware is part of that change as well, since they come with a different approach.

Going back to my point (Nokia is doing a lot pushing OSS and "gets it" quite well), you see that Maemo has already links with most of these players. If you see changes in the following years have no doubt that Nokia, Maemo, Symbian and Qt had got their contribution to the process.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
korbee... exactly 0 iPhone 'clones' run OSX. They run for example Windows CE. The cloning refers to the way the phone looks. The eye candy. No way, it refers to the features the phone provides. Many don't even have 3G! See this list for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
korbee... exactly 0 iPhone 'clones' run OSX. They run for example Windows CE. The cloning refers to the way the phone looks. The eye candy. No way, it refers to the features the phone provides. Many don't even have 3G! See this list for example.
I don't say they are OSX.
Where have you read this?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
same functionalities
Not even close.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
R-R, if you look at TI, Marvel, Qualcomm, Imagination, ARM and etc you will see that even if the visible business is to sell hardware, there is also business around drivers, patents, specifications, particular implementations...

It's a complicated world and, indeed, it's changing. The push of Intel to mobile hardware is part of that change as well, since they come with a different approach.
Well i guess I'll have to go read a bit more about all this :-)

Going back to my point (Nokia is doing a lot pushing OSS and "gets it" quite well), you see that Maemo has already links with most of these players. If you see changes in the following years have no doubt that Nokia, Maemo, Symbian and Qt had got their contribution to the process.
Yep, I'm glad we've had this discussion, I get the feeling Nokia is going in the right direction somehow!

Cheers! :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Dammit.. where can I get these Chinese iPhones made with macodity parts??

first off it is spelt open sauce and not open source -the sauce is obtained at low cost and used primarily to make the hardware more tasty while keeping the cost factor down-this dubious marketing stratergy is doomed because the sauce cannot keep pace with hardware development and rapid technology advancement leading to hardware using software that is defective -hardware companies escape crititism because it is after all "open sauce"

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
first off it is spelt open sauce and not open source -the sauce is obtained at low cost and used primarily to make the hardware more tasty while keeping the cost factor down-this dubious marketing stratergy is doomed because the sauce cannot keep pace with hardware development and rapid technology advancement leading to hardware using software that is defective -hardware companies escape crititism because it is after all "open sauce"
I sometime wish this forum had a rating system like slashdot so we could mod such comments as a boring redundant uneducated flamebait...
At least try trolling cleverly

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Indeed, the hardware level is a different world. As to Intel, they are embracing open source in several areas (and I think the Nokia/Intel cooperation will be a big ++ for advancing handheld computing), but I don't know that they are doing so in the hw adaptation layer (If they are). Not a criticism of Intel at all, it just seems that your comment implied that (or does "different approach" mean something else?)

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
A small but very good article by Glyn Moody to read carefully.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-09-28 at 19:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here