Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
If you would like to use it as a small comp I would not bother myself for changing UI... As I said before that is not a problem; at least you would not gain enough "power" or memory with that. And it is not as straightforward as on a desktop OS (Linux). Maybe with Leste it is different...

As for youtube... I don't know... Stock Python on Maemo5 is 2.5 and its support is over... I do not think that youtube-dl would run on Maemo 5. Every newer stuff I use my kali chroot environment on n900...

So yeah... Maybe Leste would be a/the solution for you. Especially if you are thinking about projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Sorry, where is ArchLinux for N900? Never seen it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
I do not think that youtube-dl would run on Maemo 5.
I had it running: https://dt.iki.fi/nokia-n900-resurrect-applications#c12
Please note that more changes are necessary than lined out in that chapter.
Probably best to go through the whole shebang, see my signature.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Of course it's not a N900, but I thought this could illustrate why running i3 on a phone is not stupid, it's actually quite convenient with a keyboard and the possibilities are endless: https://dev.lemmy.ml/post/37471

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-07-14 at 12:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Nobody said it was stupid afaics.
But consider that in your video, i3 runs _inside_ SailfishOS. Replacing hildon-desktop with i3 would not be recommendable I think, because a lot of important functionality is tied to hildon.
And I don't know if the N900 is up to running GUIs in containers...

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I didn't claim anyone said it was stupid. But yes, I think the best balance is to have it running inside SFOS, alongside SFOS applications. A multiboot option would be another good alternative. But on a N900, if the OP wants to use it more as a mini computer than a phone, that could work too. It's not far from what PostmarketOS is doing based on Alpine.

The N900 can run DE inside chroot with Easydebian, I remember it worked decently some years ago, but some heavy apps or browser were pushing it a bit too far. I have never tried it with a tiling WM though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
About JRE, it may be possible to build OpenJDK (or even produce Quarkus binaries for specific applications of interest) but you should first Oracle JRE for arm32 that is expect to work as it only depends on glibc and x11. It was far enough for me to run some JavaME applications on MicroEmu like Opera Mini for instance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post: