Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
random android phone and sometimes in my bag I have jp1, n9...

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Still on the N900, quite worried since this is my last working one. Since 2009 I encountered the following issues:
1x cellular problem / modem not working
1x digitizer
1x screen
1x GPS
1x keyboard
1x speaker
1x cellular antenna
1x USB connector
Scavenged them many times for building a working one, I currently have three retired. Last time a couple of days ago, it took me less than 15 minutes to replace the mainboard due to a non working keyboard.
My path had been:
N900
Lumia 920 (Winphone)
XperiaX with Sailfish
N900
If the Pyra makes it on time, next one will be a IP67 dumbphone. Otherwise... I really don't know!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
It’s also been many years since I was active on here. Been attracted back lately by the noise around the Communicator/Pro1/Librem5/Pine/etc.

I’ve been using an iPhone for years now. I tried Sailfish but just didn’t like it. I’m just disappointed.

I’ve given this a lot of thought. I would be willing to pay between $3k and $5k USD for a modern phone running a modern Maemo. But there’s no one to give the money to.

The Pro1 says “run the OS you want” but the only fully functional OS is android. The Communicator supposedly runs many distros but they only claim support for android. Other devices/OSes are just developmental.

Hate to be negative but I’m tired of chasing ghosts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Give it a another year or 2, it would seem that maemo-leste will be upto the task by then. Also by then pine phone and librem5 will hopefully reach a full functioning state in hardware and software will be on a second level of refinement.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
It’s also been many years since I was active on here. Been attracted back lately by the noise around the Communicator/Pro1/Librem5/Pine/etc.

I’ve been using an iPhone for years now. I tried Sailfish but just didn’t like it. I’m just disappointed.

I’ve given this a lot of thought. I would be willing to pay between $3k and $5k USD for a modern phone running a modern Maemo. But there’s no one to give the money to.

The Pro1 says “run the OS you want” but the only fully functional OS is android. The Communicator supposedly runs many distros but they only claim support for android. Other devices/OSes are just developmental.

Hate to be negative but I’m tired of chasing ghosts.
Sailfish OS on Fxtec Pro1 is functional, where phone calls (quiet for me, loud for somebody else? quirky) and SMS and camera and alarm clock and music playing (not perfect GUI, but I am spoiled by Maemo) are concerned. Haven't figured out eMail/Calendar/Telepathy yet, but that's because I haven't got a Jolla account yet - hence no default jolla-apps?

Don't know about Cosmo Communicator. They are seemingly working on Linux-ready firmware?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
For me... the list is quite short...
I used an ancient Alcatel OT 300 for 8 years when I bought my n900 in 2010. I used this beast for 9 years. Well, almost. The one that I bought first fell down and so the usb port broke. It was 8 and a half years old but still usable My second n900 is in perfect condition (I bought it from another forum's member in my country - it is original and almost as new as a brand new device) so I used it until... Until my family life reached the point when popular apps are needed to communicate with each other, get things done, etc (at least I tried to set syncing Maemo calendar with Google's but without success)... So I bought my brother's iPhone 6 (in 2019 april or may). Then I cooked its CPU... Hahahaha... It was simply overheated in the car during navigation... It cannot be fixed. So I started to use my wife's Samsung Galaxy A5 (2015) and bought her another Samsung (XCover 4).
I'm using the A5 since then. There is a Sailfish port available for it but never tried that... Since I bought a Samsung smartwatch I need Samsung's OS on it. I used LineageOS for a while but then I found a custom rom that is built on Samsung's one (Xtreme OS - based on Android 7.1.1) so I'm using this at the moment.
My n900 is still in use for some hacking, listening to music in car (I really miss that fm transmitter...) but it is manly turned off and sits on a shelf...

I'm waiting for Leste now or maybe Sailfish. But I really need apps that at least could communicate the ones available for Android/iOS. I cannot tell my whole family to use other apps... And I would like to use my (or another) smartwatch. So that would be cool

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
When I used iPhone my thinking went "people are using something; if my phone is not able to that something is wrong with the phone". After I changed to N900 my thinking has changed: "If N900 can't do something people are doing, then something is wrong with other people, never in my device". Iteresting to notice. N900 is a new absolut and measure.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
"If N900 can't do something people are doing, then something is wrong with other people, never in my device". Iteresting to notice.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking for years too. But now... Maybe I'm getting old(er)... Some feature is quite useful for me... Sending money to my wife with instant message or just log in to my bank account in the middle of nowhere to do the same... Or just see our shared calendar to know what our day would look like (pick up children and my wife, visit grandma', go shopping...) With n900 I could not do that. And I still not feel that something is wrong with me... And I cannot say to my grandmother (86 years old) that "Hey, something is wrong with you using videochat to see your great-grand children"... Interesting

Edit:// My point is - you have to learn your manner of using technologies, even if it is "smart" or modern or anything. There was a picture I saw lately with a sentence that was written on a wall of a house (it was a graffity): "Only dead fish swims with the stream". For me it says: you can swim against but you have to learn how. You have to live with (and in) the stream.

Last edited by justmemory; 2020-02-11 at 08:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Still using a N900 as my primary, though at this point it is less smart as web2.0 forward has ruined the usefullness of too many devices in exchange for tracking users across websites amd I guess some mobile customizations.
I have to bring a LineageOS w/microG device slaved to my N900(bluetooth tethering) to use NFC transit card and browse transit websites as well as managing my Pebble watch though I get full use function of the Pebble on the N900 with Maebble.
Until yesterday I had a working tablet-ized S4 mini, a nice pocket sized slave device, but botched the LCD connector when replacing the auto-firing home button. Tablet-ized as I disconnected the telephony antenna connector and ran
Code:
su
Code:
setprop persist.radio.noril 1
to disable attempts to use the cellular radio, sadly this also leaves the GPS unpowered but the N900 has nav and I can transfer the stationary coordinates to the fakeGPS app if I need it on the Samsung, I might even have figured out a bluetooth-serial bridge and script had I not damaged that device and needed that function.
I will probably go back to my (Kingston early emmc death now repaired) larger Nexus7 (flo) as my slave device though I miss having a pocket sized tablet with removable battery and SD card.
The one downside to a tablet-ized and LineageOS w/microG S4 mini is that it requires at a hardware level external power or a modified pin connector to do USB OTG.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
biketool, I though I remember someone playing with this libpebble, https://github.com/Hexxeh/libpebble

To get thing done with your pebble.

Anyway your situation seem a bit challenging.

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post: