Also, Jolla have some MeeGo patents.

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-gifts...rtup-10237812/

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
How to pronounce Jolla (+how to sound like a laconic finnish male).
http://www.forvo.com/word/jolla/#fi

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Mer's vendor focused, yes, but honestly, there's not terribly much difference between what a commercial contributor and a passionate hobbyist is doing, in practical output.
Indeed. The main difference is that you can't easily attract the hobbyist unless he has an itch to scratch (== available and hackable devices). It will be fantastic if Jolla can provide that.

Agreed, but at least it's possible to properly participate on this level now. Even the stuff in base is areas that people end up touching somehow.
How do you see that working? Let's say I buy a Jolla device in a few months and discover that some core feature I want is missing (let's say IPv6 as a contrived example if it helps). How would I go about trying to convince Mer to add it, contributing patches and/or packages, and making sure the fruits of all that end up on my device in a reasonable timeframe?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Openness and freedom is a dream we all longing for. However even in the most open system. There is always someone else that de decide what will be included.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
Also, Jolla have some MeeGo patents.

Thats just Slashgear Google translating finnish article. The linked original article in ITviikko says that Nokia sometimes gives patents for layed off people who start their own busineses, but it does not say that this has been the case with Jolla.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Wow, there is many articles coming in Finland Sorry for these wall of textes! Is there a possibility to do spoiler-tags so I could hide some text inside them?

This article is from Finnish newspaper called Uusi Suomi

http://www.uusisuomi.fi/raha/51905-j...koinen-tilanne

Jolla can become a bitter pill to Nokia: "Special situation"

"Well this is a special situation", admits Jussi Harmola. He is the CEO of the mobile phone company called Jolla, which came to public last weekend. He worked with his team at Nokia in february 2011 developing MeeGo -operating system and smart phones based to that OS.

Then came the day (11th of February 2011) and the turn, that afterwards closed down the entire MeeGo team at Nokia. CEO Stephen Elop firstly crushed MeeGo project because it was too slow and after that announced that Nokia will go with Microsoft and its Windows Phone.

Jussi Hurmiolas career at Nokia ended in March 2012.

"The whole MeeGo-organization just disappeared. Half of the people in Jolla is from Nokia and major part is the ones who got fired", says Hurmola to Uusi Suomi (another Finnish newspaper)

Jolla was founded within Nokias Bridge program, which Nokia created to support the redundant workers re-employment and entrepreneurship. Now the former Nokia MeeGo team members are developing Jolla MeeGo-based smart phone to Nokia Windows phones as a competitor.

"Nokia developed something great - the world's best smartphone product. It deserves a successor", Jolla announced during the weekend.

Jollas possible success would not benefit Nokia, as MeeGo is an open source software. It is managed by the Linux Foundation, and the software is free to be developed and used.

"After all, this is an unusual situation, but this is how open source software works", Hurmola says.

Hurmola does not want to comment on Nokia's solution to push MeeGo, developed with high expectations, aside.

"None of us at Nokia was at a level that we would know reasons for the decision", he says.

"We are grateful for Nokias Bridge program."

Equally polite Nokia welcomed yesterday Jolla to the smart phone field.

Jolla has a tough goal: the first smartphone to be announced as early as this year. What makes this challenging project easier is the fact that the operating system is familiar.

"We've already done this a couple of times", Hurmola says, referring to Nokia's so far the only MeeGo phone, N9-model.

"We are not starting from scratch."

The designing of the new phone was started already last year. The manufacturing of the device will be done by external partner, Hurmola says. Jolla is responsible for equipment design and operating system.

"There will be more news after a while. Our partner is an international, large company", Hurmola reveals little bit more to open.

About the features of the upcoming smartphone Hurmola remains silent.

"At the time of the anouncement, the company will explain in more detail what this device is and what it has eaten", Hurmola says.

"But what we are doing, is a new interface and new user experience. That is why we chose MeeGo so that we are able to lead and make new things by ourselves. [Apple's] iPhone and [Google] Android operating systems are great, but people have already seen them and may want something new. You can learn from these operating systems.

Hurmola has announced the company's goal to develop tens of millions of phones as a seller. He is asked about the big talking and he has to specify that it is not a goal but a strategy.

"In this area, it is difficult to be a small player. If you want to be in this area, one needs to be big."

"Our goal is to generate a wave that will swing this market, and ride on top of the wave with Jolla-based telephones.

According to Hurmola, the company is currently having the foundation money for the first part which is the designation of the product. The donors are private investors.

"After the weekend there has been contacts from institutional investors. But we want to go with private investors might, so that we can manage our project better."

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Aegis, and it's wrong reasons-to-be has (justifiably) created a huge hatred against security frameworks. On the other hand the basis of it's implementation (fine-grained permissions system) not only is correct, it is in my opinion needed in any modern smartphone with so much personal data stored in it. We are now protected by obscurity, but if I publish tomorrow a dancingbunny_8.32_armel.deb on devel and I promise android app compatibilty I can just upload all of MyDocs of the poor guys that installed it to my server and then wipe their N900 with the init script on next reboot. (or even flash zeros to the kernel area, overclock to death and other nice things).

I'm writing this in this thread because it has to do with community involvement (a "bad" security system can hinder community support (aegis) while a "good" one can boost it, especially now that we are nowhere safe, see Carrier IQ, Apple GPS tracking etc.)

A current smart device, phone whatever, must have the user in full control. A control panel applet should be enough to allow realtime granting and revoking privileges to apps. Thus we need a security framework, with the roles reversed, and the human the only one with full caps.

PS. Apple and MS has tried to solve this with the dreaded isolated storage, which forces all the apps to contain half-baked versions of other apps in order to work ok, definitely not the linux way
Google asks the user for permissions during install however with no possibility to revoke them. Thus most apps ask for many more permissions than they require and nobody pays any attention to that dialog box.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-07-10 at 11:14.

Nokia to give Jolla some patents

source : http://www.itviikko.fi/teknologia/20...us/201233217/7

Last edited by clovis86; 2012-07-10 at 10:47. Reason: add source

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I'm writing this in this thread because it has to do with community involvement (a "bad" security system can hinder community support (aegis) while a "good" one can boost it, especially now that we are nowhere safe, see Carrier IQ, Apple GPS tracking etc.)
I think the main question is who the security system is trying to protect: the owner of the device, or 3rd parties like the copyright mafia.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post

Nokia to give Jolla some patents

source : http://www.itviikko.fi/teknologia/20...us/201233217/7
FWIW, the original source does not say that at all. I'm amazed to see what people can cook out of bad google translations.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla