Originally Posted by lma View Post
Or a website even. What's up with this twitter/linkedin/facebook thing?
Yep, that's annoying. Too many make an assumption that everyone uses them. I don't for example.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
I'd have to say that the separation of developers (meego.org) and users/contributors (talk.maemo.org) was a very bad thing, imho for the N9.

People were rewarded here, talked about their exploits there and if you didn't follow both, you got only half the story, if that.

The downloads, the development news, the company line(s) of communication and forum participation all need to be under one roof.

Same level of banter will happen there, or should happen as it does here at ITT/TMO. Through those discussions, "a-ha" moments have arisen where the developers feed off of the needs of the users. Separate that and you end up with a sterile environment where things are offered and nobody really wanted it.

Keep the karma system. Kill all karma in the discussion areas that veer into off-topic. Allow heated discussions like the mods do here - they're rather transparent but effective.

Have some explanations of the pieces - they're not understood of how Mer + Jolla + Nokia + Qt + whatever else adds up unless they're more than just a casual user. Lower the entry point, talk about the freedom of what that above combination would be. Have activity, sans attitude, of XDA. Love the forums, love the output, sometimes can't stand the holier than thou attitude at times.

Finally... keep the faith of the user by communicating from the company to the users. Not at the user. Tonality is a key issue that needs to be addressed early on.

That's my take. I want a place like TMO. I know what's new for downloads, what's happening in the forum, I can check to see who's karma is worth a damn, I can see the community council statements and movements, I can chat with folks of like (or dislike) minds and can witness what the company or movement is doing first hand and I can test out things.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
from it tweets it does seen they want to work closely with the community, i guess it's a bit early now, but they promised to show and release more information soon

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
About specs...
I want good (IPS or Amoled like in N9) screen no larger than N9's. Dual-core CPU, 1-2GB RAM, dedicated camera button, good audio chip.
+1 to all of that. N9 size is good. Also decent camera would be nice, as my phone is my camera.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I hope to see a much bigger screen..Stylus or pen would be nice.. But above all I want to see some strange design and not as the thin as possible style. More like n900 than n9, but bigger.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I hope to see a much bigger screen..Stylus or pen would be nice.. But above all I want to see some strange design and not as the thin as possible style. More like n900 than n9, but bigger.
Then it's not really a smart phone, but smart device! I want something i can put in my pocket with ease and also take it out of my pocket. I guess i would still live with a phone a tiny bit bigger than N9

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I simply don't think they can launch a smartphone that can compete on the thinest, fastest smartest. So instead create a geek devices with strange features and compete within their own arena.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
Thanks for asking!

Here's from a consumer point-of-view:

Please take TMO as a good example. One and only one place to discuss, find software, see the news -with the right name: jolla.org. Please include a wiki. Ubuntu, gentoo, Archlinux are all good examples.

Please be as open as possible about what you are working on. Have someone participate actively in the discussions, as it will efficiently make people feel comfortable. Make speculating totally unnecessary. Ask people in the forum for opinnions and make us think you consider our feedback. It feels good to know(think) someone is listening.

Please make us beleive you want to make devices that work, last and get support for more than 2 years. It will sell itself.

Please avoid political statements and PR-BS. Let us know the truth and admit mistakes. It will give us the feeling that things will get fixed up.

I'm looking forward to byuing your device, even if it isn't amazing.

If I can get a full blown GNU/Linux device that fits in my pocket I'll live with any hardware design, even if it's as bonkers as the X7 I'll take it.

I think gerbick and maakoi hit the nail on the head with regards to the community.

I know a few of us are already jumping in with feature requests but I'd like to float the idea of embracing Kivy , it's open source, offers some good looking widgets and it compiles Python modules using Cython (and packages them for easy installation too).

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dietyyli View Post
Jussi Hurmola interview in finnish.

http://www.nelonen.fi/uutiset/videot...deo&vid=260201

(disable adblock)
Not much new there but here is a short summary for non-Finnish speakers:
-They have about 50 workers at the moment, half of them are ex-Nokia
-They have engineers, designers and software developers in the company

About history of MeeGo:
-Before it ceased many companies were interested to release devices based on it
-People working on MeeGo at Nokia "were spiritually, emotionally and careerwise committed to MeeGo"

Why MeeGo:
-They investigated other possibilities such as Android as well but they "want to lead, not follow"
-Open nature of MeeGo allows them to integrate functionality in the operating system "instead of having applications around the phone"

Timeline:
-Jolla was founded in 10/2011
-Five founders
-They will come public with a device this year. However, he did not say when the device will be available.

My personal thoughts about this:
-50 (probably highly paid since they work in Finland...) engineers on company means that they must have some serious financial backing alreary. They must be already burning a couple of million euros yearly on salaries only. This is not a small startup.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla