Active Topics

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
As someone who straddles the line between "general consumer" and "linux power user", I'd like it if the Jolla community (Forums, resources, KM, user participation, apps) was molded in a way that is easily consumable by someone who doesn't *have* to hack their phone if they don't want to, but contains the depth and resources for those that do if they want to push boundaries.

In other words, I hope the organization of any new community doesn't imply Linux guru skills by default in order to participate (I hope it's as commercially viable to as many people as possible and not geek niche). That means when in doubt, don't assume knowledge but make things as simple as possible by default, and provide a path to heavy duty Linux guru stuff for those that enjoy that.

I wish I had more specific examples. I suppose if I had to try to resummarize even further, I hope this community is as accessible and useful to the layman as it is the power users/devs and I think it's easier to build with those different audiences in mind from the start then it is to start advanced-niche and then try to shoe-horn in the common user later.

For tablets they should join with PlasmaActive. Otherwise it'll be another efforts spreading. For handsets however they'll be making something new!

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
Harmattan was too fragmented, but maybe a split between dev+user makes sense.

developer.nokia felt like the wrong place for Qt/QML questions since the change of Nokia's focus to WP. But a dev.jolla and a talk.jolla might both be useful (as would blog.jolla with info from both official and community sources)

A community OBS would be handy but I wouldn't be too interested in a garage.jolla, using gitorious (or github) would make sense for a company that will need to pull in as big a community as it can.

The best thing is to create Mer targeted community, that will create releases to different Mer derivatives.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by inean View Post
Is PySide working with Qt5? I suspect that those packages works with Qt 4.8...
I'm monitoring the PySide mailing list and nothing so far. I think they are waiting for a stable Qt5 release.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
What if Nokia created Jolla to work outside the company because they are obligated to Microsoft that they are not going to develope/produce linux (or any other that aren't WP - symbian excluded) phones? Just a thought

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Germany
We have Maemo5, Maemo6, Tizen, MeeGo... I think, thats all great OS, but they have no chane against the big, widely used OS iOS, Android, WinPhone...
We need a free Linux based OS, that combines the best of Maemo5, Maemo6, Tizen, MeeGo... it should be done and not everyone do their own thing!!!

Sorry, my english is very bad...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't partly what made the N900 and the N9 so great was the "OMAP processor"? What ever Jolla does has to include an OMAP chip. Wouldn't that attract the best "developers/hackers/tinkerers"?

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
I was thinking that there should be a subscription base repo model
ie, $5pm which then can be split to dev/host.
Per download stats for the month?

Then devs can choose to make it free, non-free and still be open.
Ie non-free get latest release/fixes and free gets them 1-6months later...

Anyway.. That's how i would do it... Something for something is win win

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't partly what made the N900 and the N9 so great was the "OMAP processor"? What ever Jolla does has to include an OMAP chip. Wouldn't that attract the best "developers/hackers/tinkerers"?
yeah i really hope its ARM based product and not Intel... And if I remember correct MER has fokus on ARM toolchains?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla