Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I'm getting started using the N810 as an email application (funny, I've had it for two months soon and I've used it for all but emails) and got some questions on the built-in email application (this is what is called modest mail right?):

I have what may seem like a cumbersome setup but it works for me (so far).

I got 3-4 gmail accounts and one AOL account (a left-over since 1995). I never really go to gmail or AOL to check my mail but rather I have them all go to Mozilla's Thunderbird application.

I probably got about 4-5,000 emails in each of the inboxes in my gmail accounts.
The first time I synced modestmail to the gmail accounts it brought all of them to the mailfolders in the N810.

a) I am a little bit hesitant to using both Thunderbird and modest on N810 as I can't really e how it will be able to sync emails to two places. What I think I will do is to leave Thunderbird setup so that it goes back and updates the gmail severs and set the N810 to not do that. BUT..does that mean that if I first open up my mail on my PC and then later in the evening open my mail on my N810 I won't get the emails that Thunderbird, on the PC, already have read?
Hmmm....aarggh....

b) Is there any way to have the email sync be bi-directional in a way that if I delete an email on the N810 it will delete it on the gmail account as well?

How are you people using modestmail in situations like this?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

This is what IMAP is all about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superbondbond For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
This is what IMAP is all about.
Ahhh....yes..of course, POP wouldn't do that.
I'll go play with IMAP (IMAPD?) on a test email-account.

Thanks for the brain nudge.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
The nice thing about Gmail and IMAP is that if you delete an email (from Thunderbird or Modest) it doesn't actually get deleted. It gets placed in the Archive folder in the online Gmail account.