Apparently there is an app for the iPhone that shares the 3G connections over wifi. Which means if you have an iPhone and an NIT, you've got tethering. Suddenly, re-uping my contract with ATT doesn't look so bad.

Apple removed NetShare ($10) off AppStore and today it re-appeared.

I can't have it work with the NIT though since the the proxies tab in Connection Setup does not have SOCKS support. Anyone know how to set this manually?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Apparently there is an app for the iPhone that shares the 3G connections over wifi. Which means if you have an iPhone and an NIT, you've got tethering. Suddenly, re-uping my contract with ATT doesn't look so bad.
I don't know anything about the iPhone, but with my Nokia N95-3 and the software JoikuSpot my N95 becomes a WiFi HotSpot and my Nokia N800 connects via it to the internet at 3G speeds. Works real well!

It is fun having ones own personal mobile WiFi HotSpot at 3G speeds, $30 for 6GB per month, with one where ever one goes with the N800 in hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to SkwrHdz For This Useful Post:
hmmmm...never considered that part.

Suddenly it's not available for the US store.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Any Windows Mobile 5/6 Mobile can install an app, name alludes me, that does the same thing.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
its called WMWifiRouter and its free.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ A Corunha Ghalisia
ITs can also do that?
vía iptables and wireless-tools?

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Use Wi-Fi and 3G same time?) How long will it last, 30 minutes I suppose?)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
from what i understand, current symbian have a limitation that makes the wifi unable to go into AP mode (even if the chipset is able to). it can only do ad-hoc...

dont know about iphone, but wm do not have that limitation.

as for the tablets. didnt someone look into it and found the proprietary driver to me a limitation?

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of a new program called Netshare (when available). I know it calls for Sockets proxy to be used. I also noticed that The Nokia N800 has no such option. Is there any hope there? Is there perhaps an app that one can download that will allow the N800 to add this feature? any comments or input will be highly appreciated. It will be just awesome to add this feature as the Iphone (as many know) has a few limitations..... Thanks in advance.
Wizcas

Tags
iphone, netshare, tethering