Active Topics

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I have made a wiki page here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/Closed_Packages
which is intended to be a place to collect a list of the closed packages on the N900 and figure out what to do with them (keep them as-is, drop them altogether, clone them, whatever)
[s]I think you've already seen that, but just for the record - is your list compatible with http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages ? In other words: are you sure that all packages from that wiki article are somehow covered in yours?[/s]

Little rant from me :P It would be nice if you made links to wiki pages (like there are for many packages on the other page) with more detailed descriptions of each closed package I would do that myself, but my free time is too limited till the end of September

edit: Just seen you actually started from that page, sorry Leaving my litte rant nonetheless

Last edited by misiak; 2013-09-12 at 22:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Yes, everything on Fremantle Closed Packages is on my list.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Added thoughts here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/GPS
on how to handle the GPS in the ports.
The way I describe means all the programs that use GPS (including nokia-maps) will continue to work as they do now without changes.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Added thoughts here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/Cellular_Modem
on how to handle the Cellular stack.
Should enable the dialer, messaging app and other cellular bits to continue working without changes.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
been wondering the last few days if it is worth doing another task whilst porting.

For the n900, armel packages are obviously available and armhf drivers via MeegoCE and MER. Is it worth taking this into consideration here for the Neo900. As the process is going to involve replacing some of the remaining closed packages, it should in the future, say a maemo5.5 (can't really use 6), allow us to build entire base for armhf for a possible performance increase.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
This might be OT sensu stricto but it is relevant to the neo900 enterprise. Given jonwil's lists, how many part-time devs would it take to get a working fremantle on the neo900 in 6 months? I appreciate that this may be guesswork but the issue has me wondering....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
been wondering the last few days if it is worth doing another task whilst porting.

For the n900, armel packages are obviously available and armhf drivers via MeegoCE and MER. Is it worth taking this into consideration here for the Neo900. As the process is going to involve replacing some of the remaining closed packages, it should in the future, say a maemo5.5 (can't really use 6), allow us to build entire base for armhf for a possible performance increase.
see https://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23ma...09-14T22:55:07 - in short: No, not worth it.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
This might be OT sensu stricto but it is relevant to the neo900 enterprise. Given jonwil's lists, how many part-time devs would it take to get a working fremantle on the neo900 in 6 months? I appreciate that this may be guesswork but the issue has me wondering....
[2013-09-14 11:30:23] <jonwil> I think the # of packages that will need stuff done to them for the Neo900 is not as big as I thought it would be
[2013-09-14 11:31:20] <jonwil> The hardest part will be the cellular modem stuff
[2013-09-14 13:37:07] <DocScrutinizer05> ((<jonwil> ... # of packages that will need stuff done...not as big. The hardest part will be the cellular modem stuff)) I'm really happy to see you are 100% in line with my own estimation regarding this :-) \o/

[2013-09-14 13:53:59] <jonwil> DocScrutinuizer05: The GPS will be the other hard part
[2013-09-14 13:54:14] <jonwil> And a few smaller parts like MCE
[2013-09-14 13:54:24] <DocScrutinizer05> yep, exactly
[2013-09-14 13:55:00] <DocScrutinizer05> GPS is low prio, MCE is a MUST HAVE
[2013-09-14 13:56:52] <DocScrutinizer05> IOW GPS we can make all FOSS apps work, even when switching to completely different API
[2013-09-14 13:57:21] <DocScrutinizer05> (though that's not really the idea behind FP)
[2013-09-14 13:59:25] <jonwil> btw it is my view that we should set the goal of doing things such that we dont need to touch telepathy-ring, rtcom-call-ui or rtcom-messaging-ui at all.
[2013-09-14 13:59:41] <DocScrutinizer05> but we can jerry-build sth that kinda works, even with a thin compatibility layer above gypsy
[2013-09-14 14:00:10] <DocScrutinizer05> yes, absolutely

[edit] such GPS compatibility layer would make all GPS applications work - more or less - as usual, but first approach it leaves the Nokia bits broken: system status GPS icon and system menu resp settings "GPS"
For GSM/modem we can worst case use a dialer from SHR based on FSO, until the csd* bits are ported. Such stuff exists for GTA04 already, working - of course zero integration into maemo, like call log, contacts, whatnot else.
Likewise for GPRS data maemo already works with arbitrary internet access via e.g. USB tethering to PC. Same would of course work with arbitrary built-in modem as long as driver (from FSO) does the network access. Just maemo integration into automatic connection switching between WLAN and GPRS will again not be that simple. With csd* bits adaption this will change.

from: http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-ssu-irclog/%2...09-14T14:37:07

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-14 at 21:19.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
see https://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23ma...09-14T22:55:07 - in short: No, not worth it.
As i said, only an idea, but thanks for looking in to it. I just remembered Debian providing a armhf build and multilib support.

When it happens, I suggest6 to put a link to "legal discussion topic" in first post. After 30 pages or so, I bet you will get concerns like that from other people, or maybe even question from devs, sometime.

Also, it wouldn't leave the impression, that you're trying to "hide" some concerns from may-be-interested devs. while I agree with your argumentation and don't believe any *successful* legal threating could happen against anything related to Neo900, there is always probability of some corporate idiot getting mad ideas, and some lawyer wanting to profit on them.

So, devs interested in working on this should be aware that *some* people are afraid of legal troubles (as well as your answer on those concerns). Thus, while separate thread is OK, I think putting link to it in OP (with note that this thread here is *not* place for such discussions) would be elegant think to do, to say at least.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
freejamesbrown, freemantle, freemantlegordn, fremantlegordon, neo900, the fptf