Active Topics

Too bad we dont have documentation for other dbus interfaces in the way that we do for com.nokia.csd.gprs and com.nokia.phone.net

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
i guess if any of you have the gta04 board, how much would it take to be able to atleast flash the original firmware on the board? changed emmc?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Too bad we dont have documentation for other dbus interfaces in the way that we do for com.nokia.csd.gprs and com.nokia.phone.net
Maybe some friendly ex-Nokia soul will come and do some friendly anonymous upload?

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
i guess if any of you have the gta04 board, how much would it take to be able to atleast flash the original firmware on the board? changed emmc?
It shouldn't be that hard, there was already some success with getting Fremantle to work on non-N900 platforms, see http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/Maemo_Getting_Started

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
I have just begun a thread intended to document the architecture and as much as possible of the details of the Cellular Services Daemon in Maemo. Posting as a separate thread since people other than just Neo900 guys might be interested in the information.

The thread is here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91313

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
I know the hardware side is tight dollar wise.. but will any portion of sales from neo900 be donated to maemo.org?
I mean it will be running maemo?

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
first of all, it doesn't seem to be related to porting Maemo to Neo900 - Neo900 thread itself sound like better place to ask such question.

Now, I don't really see such thing necessary. Consider price range of Neo900, we can expect that majority of people buying it are already much involved into Maemo community (or going to be involved soon ), be it as volunteer work for keeping Maemo infra up, cash donations, or working hard on Maemo-related projects.

I don't think that rising price just to *force* every Neo900 buyer to make a donation is good idea.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
first of all, it doesn't seem to be related to porting Maemo to Neo900 - Neo900 thread itself sound like better place to ask such question.

Now, I don't really see such thing necessary. Consider price range of Neo900, we can expect that majority of people buying it are already much involved into Maemo community (or going to be involved soon ), be it as volunteer work for keeping Maemo infra up, cash donations, or working hard on Maemo-related projects.

I don't think that rising price just to *force* every Neo900 buyer to make a donation is good idea.

/Estel
Thanks, I thought that thread was for hardware ideas and this for software.. anyway if admin wants it move/delete feel free.

PS, I don't agree.
maemo was pimped out to jolla (ie support/advertising/facebook etc for what return? nothing!).. and now this... i don't agree.

I don't know how the finance side is going on maemo.org but if it's not supported financially then there's a chance we'll have no forum/repos for N900/neo900.

I was thinking even a tockenistic gesture.. ie 10USD or 1% ..
i think it's a small price to pay to show support, give credit for our HW and SW (maemo.org).

Anyway

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
don't worry, maemo.org infra is rather stable at the moment. :-) What we need for infra are volunteers, raw manpower, not donations tbh.
And for this porting effort we need even more
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-09 at 10:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
maemo was pimped out to jolla (ie support/advertising/facebook etc for what return? nothing!).
With this I agree, and frankly, some heads should be rolling for that (but we know, that they never will). Anyway, putting old things aside, you see "subtle" difference between Jolla and Neo900, don't you? As per plans, Neo900 is going to be "our" device - born by cooperation between ~openmoko& friends and Maemo, with open hardware, and as open software as we like to port.

Now, Jolla is purely "mainstream" commercial effort with (probably) UI closed by design harmattan way, mostly closed hardware, etc. I say "probably" and "mostly" as, like all self-respecting mainstream commerce (irony intended), they're presenting us with constant marketing BS, instead of hard facts about device, interfaces, software licenses... With Neo900, we know what we're going for even before actual work from "Maemo side" started (it can only get better if possible, not worse, than was presented).

Last but not least, unlike failure with putting adverts for Jolla - where no one asked if it's really what Community want to do, for free - I don't see anything like that happening for Neo900. There are 2 threads for it, and there is task force forming, interested to port Maemo to Neo900 - all volunteer work, no one from Maemo "forced" anyone to work on this. Maemo isn't corporation, where "leaders" can re-assign manpower - only people interested themselves (and able to) are going to work on Maemo implementation for Neo900, and they're going to do it by own, independent decision.
---

summing it up, I just don't see any comparison. If someone want to port Debian to any random platform he is creating, he should be obliged to donate part of his income to Debian project? Absurd! He *may* want to do so, alongside further users of his hardware, but forcing to do so would be almost M$ way. what you're proposing is de facto licensing use of Fremantle (which isn't even our copyright, BTW).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I have made a wiki page here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/Closed_Packages
which is intended to be a place to collect a list of the closed packages on the N900 and figure out what to do with them (keep them as-is, drop them altogether, clone them, whatever)

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:

Tags
freejamesbrown, freemantle, freemantlegordn, fremantlegordon, neo900, the fptf