Active Topics

Same problem. Same symptoms. About the time I installed Personal Launcher. Hmm?

Work around: Open sketch. Draw vertical lines near the left and right edges of the drawing area. Observe the offset. The offset on the left was zero. On the right, 1/8 inch. Draw horizontal lines at the top and the bottom of the drawing area. Observe. The top was right on. The bottom offset was 1/16 inch.

Next I launched the calibration software. For point 1, I touched the center of the bullseye. Point 2: 1/8 inch to the right. Point 3: 1/8 inch to the right and 1/16 inch down. Point 4: 1/16 inch down from the center of the bullseye.

After two iterations, I was satisfied with the calibration.

Good luck

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
Yep, the intentional "wrong" calibration helps, at least to the extent of making it usable for much of the screen area.

FWIW, I know exactly when my problems started. I'd had my device for about 9 months and had never calibrated the screen (never needed to). One day, I was contemplating how to make the perfect even more perfect, and went through a calibration -- not because it was out of whack, but just because it was something I'd never done.

That was the moment the problem started.

My n800 is doing something similar...

It clicks when I touch the touchscreen the first time, but then no more clicks or touches are registered.

I also had the uncalibrated screen effect going on for a while and It somehow came right a month back. Now however, its completely unusable as I can't even start applications!

I've tried reflashing various firmware's and it hasn't helped at all. I've also checked, and I can't see anything stuck under the rim of the screen that would be creating pressure on the touch screen. I'd dearly love a fix, or I'll have to go buy a standalone GPS next week and probably throw out my N800.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Re: Touchscreen calibration.

I am wondering how durable the screen is.

In another thread some members have told how they carry their IT in a pocket.
( I have myself damaged two screens in my pantīs side pocket. 1) A Handera PDA, the lid was not stiff enough and the screen got burned from behind if pushed inwards the slightest. 2) A pocket camera screen, although it had a stiff protection. )

>> Could to much occasional squeezing of the screen influence it enough to change the calibration, or even make the screen response nonlinear ?

And: The screen calibration in the N810 with only 4 corner points presumes a linear screen.
Some of the described screen resonse problems would need 5 (or 9) points to calibrate a more or less nonlinear screen !

( My own N810 screen: After a few momths of use the stylus response was about 2 mm off, restored by recalibration. )

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
I'm on my third N810 (repaired two times already from nokia) and I've had this problem on all three. I'm hesitant to send it back again so I'm just waiting on the next tablet now . As for now, I've pinned the problem down to the ribbon cable that attaches the sliding panel to the main body, some defect in it causes any disturbance at all to manipulate the screen functions. I was able to fix it by going into the tablet and moving the cable around but as soon as I put it back together, within a few hours, the calibration was back to where it was before.... offset a half centimeter on the left. So as for now, I've built a touchscreen calibration tool that allows me to click right on the targets (5 targets, one in the center) and will not reject my clicks even if the hardware says it is off.

This works perfectly so far... until the ribbon cable shifts again.

I'll see if I can fix up the calibration tool so you don't have to rboot to have it take effect and post it up sometime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Firebird8 View Post
So as for now, I've built a touchscreen calibration tool that allows me to click right on the targets (5 targets, one in the center) and will not reject my clicks even if the hardware says it is off.

This works perfectly so far... until the ribbon cable shifts again.

I'll see if I can fix up the calibration tool so you don't have to rboot to have it take effect and post it up sometime.
Hi - I'm struggling with this problem still (on N800): no other suggested solutions have worked for me (reflashing, removing/replacing battery, removing memory cards). The standard recalibrate tool won't even recognise the first calibration point. So ... did you ever post your custom tool or can you point me at anywhere to find it?

Many thanks!