Has anyone had any luck getting Virtualbox Guest Additions to work?

After installing the GA's it just goes to black screen. With 3D acceleration enabled in machine settings for the VM it spews out VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW message in another VT, without its just black.

Edit: reverted to stock image. First boot fails to start X, second seems to work ok. Not going to try GA's yet.

Last edited by Android_808; 2018-02-08 at 19:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
The Limbo app has even settings for the N800 and the N810

Edit: There are a lot of settings to choose from, couldn't get it to work

Is there also a Kernel and Initrd available?

Edit2: Ok got it to work using the amd64 build
I hope to see some arm builds will show up
Limbo....eh?
hm..
Wonder if this app is any relation at all to the programming language for Inferno os ...which also runs on the n8x0.
3rd step-cousin twice removed ?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@wicket - We'll definitely appreciate your help, there are tasks that need more thinking than coding (fixing the spaghetti fremantle boot process is for example), so even if you lack time to do programming, your experience will help a lot.
As you've probably already noticed, I've been adding comments to the GitHub issues where I feel I my input might be useful. The spaghetti Fremantle boot process might be interesting. I'll take a look at what Leste is currently doing to bring up Hildon and get back to you on that one.

Not sure what your vision about free mobile linux is, however what we aim is a device independent distro, to the extent that's possible given that usually each device needs it's own kernel. Though that seems to change with DT. And by device independent, we don't only aim ARM world - actually most of the development so far was done in amd64 VM that boots to hildon-desktop in exactly the same way n900 or allwinner does.

Having such a base we can strip lots of fat, in terms of scratchbox for example.
My vision of free mobile Linux is to start off with a solid base. By this I mean build off mainline Linux and build on top of an existing mainstream distro. When starting out small, it's the only sustainable way of keeping it up to date and to ensure that security fixes are delivered in a timely manner. Leste is the first mobile Linux to get this right. postmarketOS half got it right but it's more focused on being an after-market OS for Android devices where mainline Linux is a secondary goal.

I'm actually less concerned about the GUI. Hildon is obviously a welcome addition. We need a GUI anyway.

I wanted to create a device independent mobile Linux base, based the above ideas. My plan was to create a free version and a non-free version. The non-free version would be something somewhat similar to Leste and would include blobs needed to make it as functional as possible. The free version would obviously be less functional but in the case of the N900 for example, all that would be missing would be video acceleration, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

I think there is a need for a mobile OS that can be 100% vetted and this can only be done with free software. The US has virtually complete control all mobile operating systems and I'm surprised this sits well with most countries. I often wonder what kind of mobile phones are issued by non-US governments to their officials. It seems that only the Russians were smart enough to realise the problem. They funded some ex-Nokia employees to make a certain OS well known to this forum . Unfortunately they don't want to share all of it with the rest of the world and most ports are stuck with Android kernel forks.

You've seen my list of mainline Linux devices. My next list will be of SoCs used in modern phones which already have mainline support but no device support other than dev/evaluation boards. A lot of people are unaware how much work has already been done in mainline. Like I said in my previous post, I want too try to encourage contributions and it might help if more people knew they would not need to start from scratch.

That's the basis of my vision. I could elaborate more but that's a discussion for another day.

Wizzup can elaborate on the the build system (jenkins) , but I think it is more or less functional and stable.
I found the image-builder and jenkins-integration repos on GitHub so I'll see if I can figure it out.

So, please join ##fptf-private, at least to see how is the cooperation going on .
I've not had a chance to talk on Freenode yet, I can probably get on there tomorrow.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
Cool, nice list of devices with mainline support, we could try to extend our support for some of those devices given time and demand. Freemangordon has hildon-desktop, mce, dsme and all the other things on an Allwinner A33 tablet - similar to Q8 tablets I think.

Parazyd is doing the actual image building (also for Devuan, he's a devuan dev), and I've worked with him in setting up the Jenkins (auto)building and repository generation. It would be useful to see your scripts and see if/how we can use them to extend our builds.

Would love to join forces. I don't have either a N9 or N950, so that'd be a great addition. I'm "Wizzup" on Freenode, but we're also in #maemo-leste and ##fptf-private - our dev channel (might move all of it to #maemo-leste or #maemo at some point, just takes time to sort these things )
I'm looking forward to working together! Once I'm familiar with how your images are built, we can discuss what can be done to extend your builds. I think I covered the rest in my reply to freemangordon.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
As you've probably already noticed, I've been adding comments to the GitHub issues where I feel I my input might be useful. The spaghetti Fremantle boot process might be interesting. I'll take a look at what Leste is currently doing to bring up Hildon and get back to you on that one.

My vision of free mobile Linux is to start off with a solid base. By this I mean build off mainline Linux and build on top of an existing mainstream distro. When starting out small, it's the only sustainable way of keeping it up to date and to ensure that security fixes are delivered in a timely manner. Leste is the first mobile Linux to get this right. postmarketOS half got it right but it's more focused on being an after-market OS for Android devices where mainline Linux is a secondary goal.

I'm actually less concerned about the GUI. Hildon is obviously a welcome addition. We need a GUI anyway.

I wanted to create a device independent mobile Linux base, based the above ideas. My plan was to create a free version and a non-free version. The non-free version would be something somewhat similar to Leste and would include blobs needed to make it as functional as possible. The free version would obviously be less functional but in the case of the N900 for example, all that would be missing would be video acceleration, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

I think there is a need for a mobile OS that can be 100% vetted and this can only be done with free software. The US has virtually complete control all mobile operating systems and I'm surprised this sits well with most countries. I often wonder what kind of mobile phones are issued by non-US governments to their officials. It seems that only the Russians were smart enough to realise the problem. They funded some ex-Nokia employees to make a certain OS well known to this forum . Unfortunately they don't want to share all of it with the rest of the world and most ports are stuck with Android kernel forks.

You've seen my list of mainline Linux devices. My next list will be of SoCs used in modern phones which already have mainline support but no device support other than dev/evaluation boards. A lot of people are unaware how much work has already been done in mainline. Like I said in my previous post, I want too try to encourage contributions and it might help if more people knew they would not need to start from scratch.

That's the basis of my vision. I could elaborate more but that's a discussion for another day.
So we can have a functional Maemo Leste with some blobs, and then with Maemo Libre™ being a deblobbed version of Maemo Leste?

Agreed on the whole base discussion. We have similar ideas/thoughts.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I found the image-builder and jenkins-integration repos on GitHub so I'll see if I can figure it out.

I've not had a chance to talk on Freenode yet, I can probably get on there tomorrow.
Just to clarify -- we use Jenkins to build packages for the repo. I don't think it makes sense to for everyone to set up their own Jenkins instance. What I and freemangordon usually do is to develop on a amd64 VM or just on the device itself (this is what I do most of the time) and then build & test. When it's done, commit and have someone (currently, me or parazyd) rebuild the package in Jenkins.

We can definitely give some people access to Jenkins. From the UI one can rebuild packages easily.

Adding packages to Jenkins requires shell access to the jenkins account.

As for the building the image, I think it's completely separate -- I think it's a debootstrap on steriods + kernel building + other stacking scripts. You can just use our repos when doing that.

Right now most open tasks don't require one to set up their own Jenkins or build their own image, I think. When I help parazyd with debugging an image, I just test the image, fix that needs to be fixed (kernel params, packages missing, wrong versions, missing scripts, config) and then let him know. And then makes a new image - repeat.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Messed around a bit with usb applet and battery applet.

Neither are functional yet, have to replace the hal parts, but getting there.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Edits/updates in blue...

I finally got around to trying Leste last night. I tried the N900 armel build (maemo-leste-1.0-armel-n900-20180207.img.xz) and I have a few observations...

It failed to complete initialisation. Xorg failed to start and then it shut down the OS automatically. It looks like there are some missing shared libraries. Here's my Xorg.0.log:

Code:
[    62.738]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           [3/504]
X.Org X Server 1.19.2
Release Date: 2017-03-02
[    62.752] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[    62.757] Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-4-armmp-lpae armv7l Debian
[    62.762] Current Operating System: Linux devuan 4.15.0-rc6+ #1 PREEMPT Wed Feb 7 15:47:47 CET 2018 armv7l
[    62.763] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootwait ro console=tty0 vram=12M ubi.mtd=5
[    62.773] Build Date: 16 October 2017  09:52:58AM
[    62.778] xorg-server 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u2 (https://www.debian.org/support) 
[    62.783] Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
[    62.794]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
[    62.794] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    62.813] (++) Log file: "/tmp/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan  1 00:01:02 1970
[    62.828] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    62.834] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    62.842] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[    62.842] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[    62.842] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[    62.842] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    62.851] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
        Using a default monitor configuration.
[    62.851] (==) Automatically adding devices
[    62.851] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[    62.851] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[    62.852] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[    62.874] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[    62.874]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    62.874] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[    62.875]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    62.875] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[    62.875] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1" does not exist.
[    62.875] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[    62.875] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[    62.876]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    62.876] (==) FontPath set to:
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
        built-ins
[    62.876] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[    62.876] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[    62.886] (--) using VT number 2

[    62.887] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration
[    62.888] (II) no primary bus or device found
[    62.896] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[    62.907] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[    62.907] (II) Unloading glx
[    62.908] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
[    62.908] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 0
[    62.908] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 1
[    62.908] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[    62.911] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[    62.919] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    62.919]    compiled for 1.19.2, module version = 1.19.2
[    62.921] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[    62.935] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so: libpvr2d.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[    62.935] (II) Unloading fbdev
[    62.936] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (loader failed, 7)
[    62.936] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[    62.936] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: setpgid failed: Operation not permitted
[    62.936] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: setsid failed: Operation not permitted
[    62.957] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    62.958] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    62.958] (EE) No devices detected.
[    62.958] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    62.959] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[    62.959] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[    62.959] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/tmp/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    62.960] (EE) 
[    62.987] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
As per fmg's recommendation, Hard FP works fine and boots into Hildon.

I haven't what looked to see what triggers the automatic shutdown but I think it would be better to roll back to the previous run level with a console login prompt instead completely shutting down.
There appears to be a bug (watchdog kicks in perhaps?) which causes a complete shutdown when switching run levels. Fremantle also had this quirk. I'll file this on the bug tracker soon, after I've done more testing.

I noticed that the image uses a separate vfat /boot slice. Is there any particular reason for using vfat? U-Boot can boot off ext4 directly without any issues. I frequently test on an SD card with multiple slices, each with a different OS install. To accommodate this, I had to manually copy the zImage and uImage to the root slice and edit /etc/fstab. I can see this becoming annoying if I have to do this every time I test an image. If there are no objections, I'd like to move it all to single ext4 slice. I don't mind fixing this myself.
Never mind about this. I found the tarball which is easy enough to unpack to a single slice. Although it still might be worth removing the /boot line from the fstab, at least for the tarball, as it's not needed.

I'm not sure why, but I couldn't mount the Leste ext4 slice on my SD card under Fremantle (kernel power). I've never had a problem with ext4 before and I can still mount other ext4 slices under Fremantle. The same slice mounts without any problems under Devuan on my N900. Not critical, just an observation. We can let this one go if you like.
Wizzup pointed out that this relates to new ext4 features. I guess these are incompatible with kernel-power's ext4 support.

This one's not a problem, I'm just curious. I noticed that it's running OpenRC. Is that something specific to Leste or is OpenRC now the default in Devuan Ascii (Devuan Jessie didn't use it)?
Found that the openrc package it explicitly added to the Leste image build. Good choice in my opinion. Also found out that is installable using the expert install path in Ascii.

In DebiaN900, I create a "run once" SysV init RC script which runs interactive commands to configure things like passwords, locale and timezone on first boot. Do we need something similar in Leste?
I'll probably integrate this soon. In the long term, we may want to set up these things in Hildon on its first run. Fremantle does something similar.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

Last edited by wicket; 2018-02-19 at 19:07.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@wicket - try armhf image, it should work

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Or better - enumerate input devices on such device added/removed and show the cursor if there is at least one device of type mouse.

EDIT: I think they did something similar in cordia, we can just reuse it.

EDIT2: this
Would be neat to be able to see cursor even if event comes from touchscreen. If multiple cursors are supported, such as finger at touchscreen and external mouse, at the same time, then different cursors (round circle for touch, usual arrow pointer for mouse)? If it is possible, of course. Makes for more interesting video screenshots if cursors can be seen.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Taking the same code snippet from Cordia, you could check a setting for touchscreen cursor visibility and set it to selected cursor. Other than needing a section in Hildon control panel, pretty straightforward.

For screen recording, at least regarding N900, I would use a desktop and make use of the click animation in the desktop software, if it works with VMs. For that reason, I would leave the touch cursor for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7