Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Comercial gps receivers probably refuse to work over 60k ft altitude (wouldn't want 50 dollar components usable for ballistic navigation etc)
Actually, ballistic systems don't really navigate (in that phase). When they finish acceleration, it's all momentum+gravity (hence the name ballistic). Thus, I wouldnt make it a security issue when there are plenty of simpler tech reasons for it to stop working (like good old overflows, visibility of high number/below horizon satellites, etc).

Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
in the end, you're basically throwing away a tablet, GPS receiver, cell phone, and solar panel, right?
Since it has a GPS and phone, it knows it's location, and if properly programmed, can use the phone to tell him about it. Then it can be found. Sounds like a fun geocaching end to the experiment

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by 987687 View Post
Since it has a GPS and phone, it knows it's location, and if properly programmed, can use the phone to tell him about it. Then it can be found. Sounds like a fun geocaching end to the experiment
Easy to say, hard to track It can land anywhere within a good 100km radius. And that's a quite literal anywhere. Depending on where you launch, that's sea, river, tree branches, mountaintop, private/state/company property, building top/sides, really, the possibilities are endless, firemen are at an advantage here And if it lands in a populated area, add the speed factor to retrieve it before somebody else does - the race factor

True... I live in rural middle-of-nowhere-ville in the woods, so I was only thinking about the trees getting in the way. And kinda thinking about the fact that there isn't much cell coverage near me.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
iirc gsm has a range limit somewhere around 30km, not in signal but due to signaling... Comercial gps receivers probably refuse to work over 60k ft altitude (wouldn't want 50 dollar components usable for ballistic navigation etc)

You can start by making it all work in your freezer for 24 hours
Actually I recently flew to Dallas and was able to get a gps fix by holding the N810 to the window of the plane. Clocked the speed @ 484MPH @ 27000Ft before losing satellite fix. I believe the difficulty in maintaining a fix was due to the aluminum skin of the plane rather than hardware limitations. The unit seemed to be confused as to exactly "where" I was but my guess is this is due to the difference in time dilation between 484MPH & 30,000Ft and sea level (give or take a few thousand feet) and traveling 70MPH on the ground GPS systems have to take into account that clocks on GPS satellites run a bit slower than clocks on Earth in order to get an accurate location fix. So you are most likely correct in that you may mot get accurate data unless you could figure out how to modify the gps software.

Originally Posted by lantz View Post
The unit seemed to be confused as to exactly "where" I was but my guess is this is due to the difference in time dilation between 484MPH & 30,000Ft and sea level (give or take a few thousand feet) and traveling 70MPH on the ground GPS systems have to take into account that clocks on GPS satellites run a bit slower than clocks on Earth in order to get an accurate location fix.
[digs engineering hat from the closet and puts it on]

um, no...relativistic effects have nothing to do with it with regards to the speed or altitude of the plane. If you were able to calculate both an altitude and a speed, the system knew exactly where you were. Accurate altitude determination requires a solid 4-sat fix minimum (4 unknowns require 4 equations/satellites) though due to geometric issues altitude determination will have a larger error bar. By accurate, I mean within the limitations of the CA code and use case. With a 3-sat fix you can get a good approximation of altitude (especially if stationary where you can average out errors to increase accuracy) depending on how clever the programmer was.

And speed requires that such a fix is maintained over time to get the deltas in position over time.The software you were using might not have properly displayed that information for some reason (intentional or otherwise), but that's a display issue and not a calculation one.

However, all that said....thanks for the observation It's always interesting to see people doing novel things with these tablets

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
[digs engineering hat from the closet and puts it on]

um, no...relativistic effects have nothing to do with it with regards to the speed or altitude of the plane. If you were able to calculate both an altitude and a speed, the system knew exactly where you were. Accurate altitude determination requires a solid 4-sat fix minimum (4 unknowns require 4 equations/satellites) though due to geometric issues altitude determination will have a larger error bar. By accurate, I mean within the limitations of the CA code and use case. With a 3-sat fix you can get a good approximation of altitude (especially if stationary where you can average out errors to increase accuracy) depending on how clever the programmer was.

And speed requires that such a fix is maintained over time to get the deltas in position over time.The software you were using might not have properly displayed that information for some reason (intentional or otherwise), but that's a display issue and not a calculation one.

However, all that said....thanks for the observation It's always interesting to see people doing novel things with these tablets
Thanks T
By accurate I meant that it was not able to display the streets on the map. Might have been moving too fast for the display to keep up... Not sure...
Anyway it was still cool. Not sure what the crew would have done had they known I was using the gps. In retrospect it might not have been too pleasant. LOL

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Accurate altitude determination requires a solid 4-sat fix minimum (4 unknowns require 4 equations/satellites) though due to geometric issues altitude determination will have a larger error bar.
I would think the unknowns are 3 (i.e. x,y,z) but the fourth satellite might be needed to reduce errors from timing, approximations used in the algorithms to make the calculations faster or something similar.

Basically, my question is what's the fourth unknown?

Thanks.

Anyone notice this?:
http://space.1337arts.com
$150 to produce this:

Hehe, a very cool idea, but tricky to pull off. also if you were to have it take pictures, resolution could be an issue? i mean, if you want the pictures to be of 'globe-worthy' quality :P
Also: technically i think it may count as launching a satellite? which requires permission from the government, but i may be wrong!

Tags
n800 in space