Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
That Dell streak is 379 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200283

Here is meego, somewhat running on it
http://codex.xiaoka.com/wiki/meego:streak

Some promising progress with ubuntu
http://tomasz.sterna.tv/2010/09/runn...n-dell-streak/

Its got the speed and ram and its booting linux, seems already 1/2 done to me? I would really like to find the same thing for about 200$, it would make me feel a little better about wasting money to see what may come of it. Of course if the community were to get behind a device I would be less worried about spending 400$

This place, this talk, this forum still belongs to us, the community. Maybe ITT's time for the community to set its own direction.
I agree with this post so much it's sickening. I think our site is on the edge of being what it could be -- a really independent force. Most of us don't really care about Nokia, we just want a good little computer.

Fortunately, this site has permitted a lot of independence. The giant Android thread, for example -- even the overclocking thread basically established overclocking as a standard, despite the fierce opposition of most of the best and brightest here on the site. There is quite a bit of freedom here, if we can take advantage of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Sadly it looks like Nokia's days as an innovator are over. Leaks today suggest MeeGo won't be a future disruption, instead a mere current disruption until mid-2012 when they ditch it.

Apple has 'created' a market for the iPad, but Nokia had already carved out it's own niche with it's range of tablets and phone that reached out to the real geek community. As the OS movement grows and matures, they would've been well-placed to reap the dividends with a mature release of products ie an n900 replacement phone and maybe a tablet alongside too - obviously these would have to run maemo, but so what, it's nearly there right now.

It's almost funny. Yesterday there was an article in The Guardian about Sony's tardy entrance into the tablet market. The article goes on to discuss the parallels with Sony's response to the iPod. Sony the great pioneer that gave the world the Walkman couldn't create an iPod killer that Apple feared because it no longer had the software expertise having already 'caved in to using Microsoft's Windows for its PCs - seeing in them the volume it wanted, and not realising that PC manufacturing would be a cut-throat pit where Sony's greatest strengths, industrial design and innovation, would count for nothing.'

See where I'm going? Here we have a company that produces great hardware (n900 micro-usb port aside), which did produce great software, give it all up.

At least before they did they helped to conceive the beautiful MeeGo idea. Hopefully there is enough wind in it's sails to allow other manufacturers to jump aboard and provide us with what we want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
It's interesting how most people seem to want a larger screen smartphone today than a separate "pocketable" tablet. I use a basic "flip phone" for calls because my phone plan averages $40 per month. Although my Dell Steak 5 inch tablet could also be used as a phone, Verizon would charge me $30 more per month. These days, WiFi seems to be everywhere. Even the city in which I live has city-wide free WiFi. If anything, I will get an even cheaper phone plan with less minutes, and utilize the Voip Apps on my tablet.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Sevastopol, Cremea, Ukraine
we need smartphone like n900 but on harmattan and with new hardware.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Speaking of WiFi being widely available -- I frequently take Amtrak from the far edge of LA County to San Diego and back and noticed that free WiFi was available, though the signal was weak.

I think that the smart way to go for poor people is not to pay for mobile net connections and stick to wireless.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Sadly it looks like Nokia's days as an innovator are over. Leaks today suggest MeeGo won't be a future disruption, instead a mere current disruption until mid-2012 when they ditch it.

Apple has 'created' a market for the iPad, but Nokia had already carved out it's own niche with it's range of tablets and phone that reached out to the real geek community. As the OS movement grows and matures, they would've been well-placed to reap the dividends with a mature release of products ie an n900 replacement phone and maybe a tablet alongside too - obviously these would have to run maemo, but so what, it's nearly there right now.

It's almost funny. Yesterday there was an article in The Guardian about Sony's tardy entrance into the tablet market. The article goes on to discuss the parallels with Sony's response to the iPod. Sony the great pioneer that gave the world the Walkman couldn't create an iPod killer that Apple feared because it no longer had the software expertise having already 'caved in to using Microsoft's Windows for its PCs - seeing in them the volume it wanted, and not realising that PC manufacturing would be a cut-throat pit where Sony's greatest strengths, industrial design and innovation, would count for nothing.'

See where I'm going? Here we have a company that produces great hardware (n900 micro-usb port aside), which did produce great software, give it all up.

At least before they did they helped to conceive the beautiful MeeGo idea. Hopefully there is enough wind in it's sails to allow other manufacturers to jump aboard and provide us with what we want.

If you read that register story carefull knowing that Meltemi project is something about Linux it sounds better for the future. I'm expectin something with meltemi next summer or spring.