I have just received ny N810 and I have immediately flashed it to Diablo before making anything else.

Now I begin to install applications from the Downloads section of the Maemo site..

Everything works fine until I install "USB Control". The installer begins working and after a few seconds says that "the installation is impossible" !!

Desiderius

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Howabout forget the prog and use a shortcut instead?

you have to have becomeroot installed, get it here, http://eko.one.pl/maemo
bora
user

xterm
sudo gainroot

make your shortcuts (see below).

draw your shortcut, say uh, you are host; or when finished; draw your shortcut uu, you are unhost (OTG). You can keep doing it for fun. works on chinook and diablo.

USB host
uh: echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

USB unhost/OTG
uu: echo otg > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=20997&page=7, thread #63.

I just found out that there is 2 ways one can set the HWR speed, and I am NOT sure which one takes precedent. You can either go into Control panel>Text input settings or Menu>Tools>Settings. I set them both to the minimum, to have the fastest interpretation.

Menu>Tools>Settings>Handwriting speed set to the lowest. This is the biggest counter intuition Nokia has done. minus means fast, the interpretation is eye-blinking fast, while plus means slow, the interpretation takes forever. I believe most people complaining about the handwritten recognition is poor because they probably set this damn thing to a 5+ and thinking that is the fastest! Anyhow, set it to the lowest, you would be surprise the handwritten recogn is better than palm! This is the biggest counter intuition I have ever seen.

Now you are ready to program your shortcuts for repetitive typings. There are at least Shortcuts (Western) and Shortcuts (Greek) and a 16 shortcuts each for a total of 32! You can have your tablets to remember 32 typings you always use, OMG!
Menu>Tools>Teach handwriting:
Input type: choose Shortcuts(Western),
Phrase> Edit: type the phrase you use repetitively, say, "Why are you so difficult?". Just type the phrase, no quotations
Pattern>Edit: draw anything you want except it CANNOT be similar to patterns that already exist, say draw a dumb triangle.

Bingo. From now on, everytime you draw that pattern, a dumb triangle, the phrase comes up nicely, be it xterm, web address, gnumeric or even maemo mapper!
__________________________________________________ ________

Much more shortcuts info in the above threads. I got so attached to shortcuts, that it is the 2nd thing I made after becomeroot in any of my flash upgrade, it is just way too convenient. There is NOTHING you cannot shortcut, some of the commands are like 3 lines 80 words long command, you shortcut it! HA!
That also works for long bookmarks.
Please post how you like it, TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-05 at 11:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Becomeroot can't be installed on my N810 with Diablo. So any other way?

@Bunanson: I'm very newbie in Linux OS.. So can you explain to me in very simple way how to input script to improve or modified the Maemo/App installed?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Becomeroot can't be installed on my N810 with Diablo. So any other way?

@Bunanson: I'm very newbie in Linux OS.. So can you explain to me in very simple way how to input script to improve or modified the Maemo/App installed?
There are many way to get root. I use becomeroot; watchout, it is bora, not chinook or diablo, type the exact repo at the beginning of this thread, the eko repo. They should get you installed. I just tried it, and it work.

A script is a drawing. there is no tricks to it. Say your Maemo/App requires you to enter asdfghjklzxcvbnm, then you made a drawing for that under Tools>Handwriting recognition>Input type and choose Shortcuts. Edit your Phrase asdfghjklzxcvbnm and Edit Pattern, say draw a triangle.

Then everytime you need to input the phrase asdfghjklzxcvbnm, you just draw a triangle instead. Much more discussion here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...189#post192189, thread #1, #10, #63

On the other thread, the shortcuts thread, I listed quite some shortcuts for most average user. And some small utilities progs here too, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21651, this one has USB host button on the desktop. Did you get your usb device working yet?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-08 at 13:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Bard;

There are lots of ways to get root. I like EasyRoot. Look Here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189373#post189373

Regarding scripts; I think of a script as being like a .bat file in windows... a bunch of commands executed by the shell interpreter. Bunanson described what I call handwriting shortcuts, which I use all the time.

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
I just know that to become root on diablo really easy. I don't know if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere here i just need to input "sudo gainroot" on X-Terminal to do that. Or maybe it need some app/file installed, before it works, but it works on my N810, maybe because I already install quite many app/file from application manager

About USB Control, I really dumb! it already installed on my N810, I just realize I installed it via app manager-installable app. the one app I miss is just USB OTG. I search on garage.maemo I found USB OTG plugin. Once I install it, USB Control works very good!!

Last edited by Bard; 2008-07-12 at 06:35.