Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
A lot of us, the diehard (or hard-to-die?) itT forum browsers has complainted bitterly about difficulty in browsing the itT forum on the tablet. That includes bunanson too! With the launching of diablo. It is no longer true. If you have NOT browsed the forum on your tablet because of past bad experience, fear NO MORE, go take a test drive after your diablo upgrade. You do not need to change to different mode, classic, mobile, ..., nay, just use the black skin default, n810 v2?. No need for special .css plug in, dont have to go to school . Just browse the itT forum, it works. No more crashing, freezing, stuck etc.

And for the first time in my life, I was able to search the forum from my tablet. Yes, I was able to search, albeit, not very straight foreward though, but it works. Click the search button, as usual, the search field dodged away (Is that a Linux behavior when confronted with problems ?). Dont worry, just finish typing in your search criteria, and click the search button the second time. This time, your search criteria has been pretyped/filled-in, you click the button "GO", OMG, your search results in front of your tablet, BINGO! Well, not quite, see below post. It returns with some sceen control characters. So just click the search the 3rd time, it will then take you to advance search and you can see and type your search criteria, and the results are acceptable. See screenshots below. Sure, you can always go directly to the advance search page by just looking around.

Just want to re-visit the issue of 'unfriendly' itT browsing from the tablet: it is no longer true, go enjoy browsing itT from your table as much as you would like to

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-04 at 20:53.

I've been browsing the itT forum in Chinook/Diablo fine in Classic Mode for forever now. Classic Mode is really much better to see, too.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I've been browsing the itT forum in Chinook/Diablo fine in Classic Mode for forever now. Classic Mode is really much better to see, too.
Me too. I have to resorted to classic mode on chinnook. However, there is a catch. You have to avoid the itT home page by going directly into itT forum. There is NO classic mode for itT home page. To take a quich look of what is active in the forum, you still need to go to the home page and of course, it crashed under chinook. It is NOW possible with diablo, you go any page you want. Works.

bun

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
<snip>
And for the first time in my life, I was able to search the forum from my tablet. Yes, I was able to search, albeit, not very straight foreward though, but it works. Click the search button, as usual, the search field dodged away (Is that a Linux behavior when confronted with problems ?). Dont worry, just finish typing in your search criteria, and click the search button the second time. This time, your search criteria has been pretyped/filled-in, you click the button "GO", OMG, your search results in front of your tablet, BINGO!

<snip>
Is that the google search or regular search? Because if it's the regular search it's still useless.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
I use Diablo. I go directly to the Forums, in classic.Fit Width to view is off.

Things are still horribly slow, pages take 20-30 seconds to load in Classic. This is why I use mobile I for the majority of my ITT tablet browsing. Mobile I would be perfect if it just had all the options that are only available in Classic. ... please, Reggie? All we need is a version of Classic - lets call it Tablet Optimized - that loads NO graphics, but has every feature of Classic.

Yes, some things are a little better in Diablo - the "Thread tools' popup does not appear in a random place.

But, there is a new problem! Fun! Try this in Classic from an n810 with the keyboard out:
* Goto Members list, pick a letter
* Click on search
* Note how the window pops up; very nice
* Tap the entry area of the window. Note how it disappears, very annoying
* Type your query into the window blindly, even though you can't see anything. Press enter.
* Observe the odd search result
* Find the entry window (you will have to try hard - it will be in a random place)
* Observe the neat effect of your search term being there in reverse!

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Is that the google search or regular search? Because if it's the regular search it's still useless.
Yes. I am talking about the regular search, the cutie little icon between New Posts and Quick Links. I am NOT commenting about the capablity of the search engine. That is the itT web site's business. I am commenting that under diablo, the tablet does not crash any more, and one can actually use the search, albeit, one has to do it twice as explained above. Whereas the search capability, we know, it is still less optimum

bun

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
...there is a new problem!
No, that's an old, well known problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
It is really NOT that useless. The first search command made the search window disappear. Pressing the 'GO' button has it come back but with come control characters, so you still cannot use it, but click the same search the 3rd time will take you to advance search page and you can see and edit your query criteria, and here is the screenshot for the result, it is NOT 100% useless. I agree, it is subpar though.

Dont get me wrong, I am NOT saying everything is fine, and telling Reggie can now go fishing. I am trying to re-address the issue, that people had bad experience in the past, and avoid it like plaque, can now go and test drive after diablo upgrade, and do not need .css/reconfig/different themes/tricks, and the current situation is quite tolerable. I mean tolerable, not fantastic.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-04 at 22:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
I'm very tired of having to wear dual-microscopes on my face to use my tablet. I need to set the zoom to 150%. Problem is, at that level, I'm constantly having to scroll left-right. Fit width to view works great with almost every site except ITT. With FWTV on - unless one uses Mobile - all the graphics explode to huge size. This does not hapen in Mobile.

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
I'm very tired of having to wear dual-microscopes on my face to use my tablet. I need to set the zoom to 150%. Problem is, at that level, I'm constantly having to scroll left-right. Fit width to view works great with almost every site except ITT. With FWTV on - unless one uses Mobile - all the graphics explode to huge size. This does not hapen in Mobile.

Steve
Just set a minimum font size. Use search function how to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post: