Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
After getting a 3d Printed other half i started looking onto NFC tags and adding my own to my Other Half and even learning some coding so I can use the Developers kit to do something with Ambiances.

However this got me to thinking....

Basic tags can be had for less than 50p (UK) and even keyrings and wristbands are available for under a £1.

It would be useful to have a tag on my desk at work that would put my phone into my office ambiance, then one in my car to do similar including turning BT on. Then one at home on my bedside table to put the phone on silent and set an alarm, and.....

The opportunities are endless, BUT how strong the is the NFC receiver? I know it is low powered and now appears to only be enables briefly when an other half is clipped on. Can it handle what I want to do with it?
Many thanks
John

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Toulouse, France
What I understand is that NFC is only used on Jolla when an other half is installed.

Therefore I am afraid it is not possible to use NFC "the regular way" as it can be done with android or N9. It's a shame because I was using NFC tags a lot with my N9 and profilematic to do exactly what you want to do.

I hope that regular NFC will be available in future sailfish updates and it is not a limitation from the HW.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tigre-bleu For This Useful Post:
see if the ambience is properly extended by jolla to include features like this, it would really become a massive money maker

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tigre-bleu View Post
I hope that regular NFC will be available in future sailfish updates and it is not a limitation from the HW.
Unfortunately it is limited by the Hardware.

The official statement by Jolla is:

Originally Posted by jolla
NFC hardware antenna has limited range reserved for TOH only. But you can create own seperate NFC TOH backcover with own HFC chipset and use i2c as communication channel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
what happens if you remove the TOH and just hold the NFC sticker close to the receiver??

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by fip View Post
what happens if you remove the TOH and just hold the NFC sticker close to the receiver??

phone reads the nfc chip when the other-half trigger is activated (that pin halfway on your otherhalf)

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
It should be possible make it work if turn off tohd and replace it with another daemon that polls NFC lets say 2- 4 times/second when phones is active mode. Anyway, that means battery drains faster. But it should definitivly be off when phone not in use.

Or wait... if I remember right tohd has dbus API and maybe you can trigger read tag by looping API call? That way you don't need a sepate daemon.

Can't test on my jolla since it still on service But check with qdbus:

Code:
qdbus --system com.jolla.tohd /com/jolla/tohd
if I remember correct. Above will list API:s and invoke call by:

Code:
qdbus --system com.jolla.tohd /com/jolla/tohd functionname

or just call qdbus without args (except --system) it will list all dbus API:s on the phone.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-18 at 19:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
maybe (at least this didn't give errors)

Code:
/usr/lib/qt5/bin/qdbus --system com.jolla.tohd /com/jolla/tohd  com.jolla.tohd.simulation.AttachCover
can't test, all my TOHs and NFCs are at office

Last edited by kimmoli; 2014-02-18 at 20:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Before the tohd power drainage bug was fixed, I put my N9 and my Nexus7 on the backside (with other half removed). Both detected my Jolla but with nothing to interact with.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Before the tohd power drainage bug was fixed, I put my N9 and my Nexus7 on the backside (with other half removed). Both detected my Jolla but with nothing to interact with.
I added my contact info to the NFC sticker on TOH using N9 after the fix, had to remove the back cover for the N9 to detect the sticker on the back cover.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: