Active Topics

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I was disappointed with moblin 2.1 on my fujitsu u820 (z530 atom based), the first couple of times I tried to install it barfed part way, eventually it installed but video was borked.
Then I tried the IVI version with the GMA500 that someone rolled for the Vaio P, but the xorg settings didn't work and I got a weird display.

So, I am now trying the meego-preview to see if it's any better.

Anyone else tried meego on their laptop/netook/umpc and care to share their experiences?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
First, please read the official news, and if it's not clear, this post.

However, you can download it here.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Then I tried the IVI version with the GMA500 that someone rolled for the Vaio P, but the xorg settings didn't work and I got a weird display.
GMA500 is a bit of a difficult one, it's our old friend PowerVR (try look around Wikipedia for it), so licensing is horrid..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I was disappointed with moblin 2.1 on my fujitsu u820 (z530 atom based), the first couple of times I tried to install it barfed part way, eventually it installed but video was borked.

So, I am now trying the meego-preview to see if it's any better.

Anyone else tried meego on their laptop/netook/umpc and care to share their experiences?
What??

This is just a first code drop (developer preview) for MeeGo. There is no GUI at all. Only terminal (meant for ninjas).
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT install it in your laptop/netbook/umpc whatever yet. I am sure this release is not for you. Not for me too.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
don't panic, all my computers, even my U820, are multi-boot (disk space is free, right, so just leave a few partitions spare)...

anyway, yeah, it's badly broken
* the install option hung
* it will boot and give me a login prompt (u root, pw meego).
* It found the wired network adaptor but "ifconfig" errors with "Input/output error", and there's no iwconfig command so no chance of attempting to use wireless.
* I can then run "yum update" and it starts downloading x11 stuff, though there's not much point given it only runs in "live" mode.
* I can't run ping or netstat without errors
* even ctrl-alt-del or hitting power results in "INIT: cannot execute /sbin/shutdown" - but "init 0" did work.

they shouldn't have called it preview, they should have called it pre-alpha-kernel-test-only :-0

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
GMA500 is a bit of a difficult one, it's our old friend PowerVR (try look around Wikipedia for it), so licensing is horrid..
yes, I know, but I got ubuntu NR-9.10 working just fine as someone put a lot of effort into getting the US15/poulsbo/GMA500 accelerator stuff to install with a relatively simple script.