Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Oh boy.. what a sensationalist thread. I bet if you could put some blink tags and LOL-cats in the topic you would do it...

Anyway, I will believe when I see it. Before that I take it from the bad press coverage. Like in the case of CNET.

Another thing, do you really think that if Nokia would "slip" or let everyone know about one of their major release in many years they would let some dodgy reporter(?!) steal their thunder? Sorry pal, but I am not convinced.
I am not trying to convice anyone, pal... I started the thread just because I tought it could be good news, but after further researching I got suspicius as well. But about Nokia sliping news I don't think it would be impossible, public relations is certainly not their strongest department...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Fortunately though, MeeGo seems to have a logo now.
Or a wordmark, at least.

Nokia has invested in several fronts to maintain the lead in the global mobile phone market. In addition to the app store online service to sell music and launches high-end models, the manufacturer also chooses Meego, operating system, developed in partnership with Intel and released earlier this year at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Except Meego hasn't yet been developed, and wasn't released earlier this year, just announced.

sorry, but I don't think this is quite the public confirmation of Meego coming to the N900 that it could have been.

As someone has already stated, we know that Meego is coming to the N900, but that it will be a "developer" version rather than a "consumer" one.

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
Except Meego hasn't yet been developed, and wasn't released earlier this year, just announced.
About that I have my suspicious... since Intel and Nokia announced a partnership about 1 year ago, they could be developing Maemo 6 based on a pre-defined Meego architecture, considering the merging of Maemo and Moblin was being planned since for a while, instead of being a impulsive decision from Nokia and Intel CEOs.

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
sorry, but I don't think this is quite the public confirmation of Meego coming to the N900 that it could have been.
As someone has already stated, we know that Meego is coming to the N900, but that it will be a "developer" version rather than a "consumer" one.
I agree... so I sent a question to the journalist who wrote this article, and I've just got an answer a few minutes ago. He confirmed that Anssi Vanjoki indeed said during the press conference that "N900 will be the first Meego device on Brazil"... and he also got in touch with Nokia Brazil to confirm that.

I am trying my best to ask everyone I can if this is really true. Now I sent another email to the company who does PR for Nokia Brazil, asking them to confirm as well...

Just the time will tell us, but if Anssi Vanjoki did confirm N900 with Meego for Brazil market we can assume it is a Nokia supported version instead of a community one, don't you agree?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Probably the N900 will be capable of running both Maemo and MeeGo giving users the option to choose what they prefer. Atleast that's how i see it.

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Probably the N900 will be capable of running both Maemo and MeeGo giving users the option to choose what they prefer. Atleast that's how i see it.
If you are right probably this will happen only for N900 owners before Meego release, and Nokia would probably incentive everybody to migrate, so they could avoid supporting two different O.S.

One issue is that the MeeGo name is very overloaded.

There's the upcoming MeeGo dsitribution, which device makers can use as base for operating system on their devices.

There's the MeeGo API, which app developers can develop for and their apps will run on everything MeeGo branded.

We know that Maemo 6/Harmattan will be a hybrid between Maemo and MeeGo dsitribution, and will fully support the MeeGo API, and indeed will be branded and sold as MeeGo.

We know that through PR1.2 Maemo 5 will get the same version of QT as MeeGo, and thus Maemo 5 PR 1.2 will also probablyh provide the MeeGo API for app developers, and could be called MeeGo if same criteria as for Harmattan are used..

So in conclusion, due to "MeeGo" meaning many things, even if Anssi had originally said something very specific, the journalists probably failed to pick up and comprehend the nuances, and just simplified it to "N900 with MeeGo", which in the end tells us nothing new that we already did not know.