Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Meran, Italy
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
Anyone else having problem updating to v52 for "boot image for U-Boot" package using the application manager (HAM)? I'm trying to upgrade from v51r1 to v52 but can't due to a conflict (no details available) with the "settings and overclock" package. Don't know if it would work to uninstall the "settings and overclock" package, update to v52 and then try reinstall the settings package.
Dear sowwhatyoureap,

Yes I have the same problem. Please try to see if it is the same that I reported in this message of the thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...40#post1347540

If it is the same problem, you have a workaround here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...79#post1354279

Please let us know, because in the case we should ask pali to manage for a solution.

Thanks for your feedback.
pkz

The Following User Says Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@sowwhatyoureap: you can without problem uninstall "settings & overclock" package and then install it again. If you have still problems try to update kernel via apt
Ok thanks, it seems to have worked -- uninstalled the settings package, updated kernel-power-bootimg to v52 successfully and then reinstalled settings package. However, during reinstallation of kernel-power-settings, I noticed it has a depedency on the kernel-power package (via , but gave it a go hoping it wouldn't autoflash the kernel over U-Boot. It came to the confirmation message to flash the kernel, but I canceled the dialog (clicking the "blurred area" above) causing it to show a message that the installation failed.

Despite this, it seems to have managed to install the relevant parts of kernel-power-settings as I'm able to run kernel-config properly. It shows up in the uninstall section of HAM as well.

Originally Posted by pkz View Post
Dear sowwhatyoureap,

Yes I have the same problem. Please try to see if it is the same that I reported in this message of the thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...40#post1347540

If it is the same problem, you have a workaround here:

Please let us know, because in the case we should ask pali to manage for a solution.

Thanks for your feedback.
pkz
I'm not really sure what the conflict was that caused the update to complain -- HAM just said "conflict" sadly -- so I can't really confirm that it's the same issue that you linked. Didn't mess around with apt-get as the reinstallation of kernel-power-settings via HAM was sufficiently successful (see above). It may however be related to a dependency issue with kernel-power (via kernel-feature-overclock or kernel-feature-smartreflex?) as mentioned above.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@Freddie: I can enable other modules, but I need to know which modules and if there are users who can use it.
I've been followin up on this, and found it has been raised 8 time by different users, though I don't know if there's someone already using it. I can't advice on the modules Pali as I have no experiece on them. here was a post on the request,
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89613&highlight=DVB-H

It'd be a great feature esp over wifi/usb as I think the missing connection is tha app to run it (which is already available for Windows, Linux and Symbian)

yeah

Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
I'm not really sure what the conflict was that caused the update to complain -- HAM just said "conflict" sadly -- so I can't really confirm that it's the same issue that you linked. Didn't mess around with apt-get as the reinstallation of kernel-power-settings via HAM was sufficiently successful (see above). It may however be related to a dependency issue with kernel-power (via kernel-feature-overclock or kernel-feature-smartreflex?) as mentioned above.
You could show your current status of the installation with the following command:

Code:
dpkg -l kernel*|less -S
Then You could easily reveal if it is a dependency problem just with this simple command:

Code:
sudo apt-get -s upgrade
This command is safe since the -s option tells apt-get to only simulate the upgrade, so that it only shows what should have to be done. Then give us feed back about the output...

pkz

PS: in order to generate the files to send as feedback use:
Code:
dpkg -l kernel* > config.status.txt
sudo apt-get -s upgrade > reveal.dependency.txt 2>&1

Last edited by pkz; 2013-09-06 at 08:41. Reason: Configuration status detection added

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Alright, here's my output from dpkg -l kernel*:

Code:
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                                Version                                    Description
+++-===================================================-==========================================-============================================
ii  kernel                                              2.6.28-20103103+0m5                        Flashable Linux kernel
un  kernel-feature-automounter                          <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-battery                              <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-block2mtd                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-bridge                               <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-charger                              <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-cifs                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-crypto                               <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-dmloop                               <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-errata-430973-workaround             <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-ext4                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-framebuffer                          <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-ioacct                               <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-ipv6                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-joikuspot                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-kexec                                <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-mousejoy                             <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-netfilter                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-ntfs-read                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-overclock                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-packet-injection                     <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-ppp                                  <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-pptp                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-qos                                  <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-radiords                             <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-reiserfs                             <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-rx51-battery                         <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-sigmask                              <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-slip                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-smartreflex                          <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-squashfs                             <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-udf                                  <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-unionfs                              <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-usbhost                              <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-usbhost-new                          <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-usbip                                <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-utf8                                 <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-video720p                            <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-wlan-monitor                         <none>                                     (no description available)
un  kernel-feature-xfs                                  <none>                                     (no description available)
ii  kernel-flasher                                      2.6.28-20103103+0m5                        Linux kernel updater
iU  kernel-maemo                                        2.6.28-maemo19                             Flashable Linux kernel
ii  kernel-modules                                      2.6.28-20103103+0m5                        Linux kernel modules
iU  kernel-modules-maemo                                2.6.28-maemo19                             Linux kernel modules
ii  kernel-power                                        1:2.6.28-10power52                         Flashable Linux kernel (kernel power 2.6.28.
ii  kernel-power-bootimg                                1:2.6.28-10power52                         Linux kernel boot image (kernel power 2.6.28
in  kernel-power-flasher                                <none>                                     (no description available)
ii  kernel-power-modules                                1:2.6.28-10power52                         Linux kernel modules (kernel power 2.6.28.10
iU  kernel-power-settings                               0.17                                       Tools for the customization and overclock Li
and here's from the simulated (didn't know you could do that, thx :-) ) apt-get upgrade:

Code:
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  kernel-power-settings: Depends: kernel-feature-smartreflex
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
This would suggest that the dependency problem lies with smartreflex, I assume?

Run as root:
$ apt-get install kernel-power-flasher

@sowwhatyoureap: AFAIK, from my point of view yes, there is a dependency problem, the same I mentioned before.

One question: are You trying to run the power kernel from U-boot or are You going to install it as a unique kernel in Your system?

If the answer was yes, i.e. You are going to launch the kernel power throughout U-boot, then two questions would rise into my mind for pali:

@pali: if one wants to use the kernel power throughout U-boot, is it necessary to install kernel-power-flasher? I am asking that because I (probably erroneously) think that kernel-power-flasher will ask to flash the kernel power into the nand, to substitute the Nokia stock kernel.
And in general, question number two, which is the minimum set of packages needed for this kind of configuration? I'm gonna try to guess, and please, let me know where I am wrong:

* kernel: yes because it is needed by U-boot?
* kernel-bootimg: no because U-boot is launched into this kernel "session"
* kernel-flasher: yes but it is substituted by u-boot-flasher, and it can be removed if U-boot has to remain installed
* kernel-modules: yes
* u-boot-flasher: ??? needed for installing U-boot; would it be possible to remove i after flash?
* u-boot-for-power-kernel: not necessary, obsolete package?
* u-boot-tools: yes
* uboot-mkimage: not necessary, obsolete package?
* uboot-power: not necessary, obsolete package?
* uboot-pr13: not necessary, obsolete package?
* kernel-power: not needed?
* kernel-power-bootimg: yes, needed by U-boot to launch the kernel power
* kernel-power-flasher: no if one use U-boot?
* kernel-power-modules: yes

Thanks in advance.

pkz

The Following User Says Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
@pali: if one wants to use the kernel power throughout U-boot, is it necessary to install kernel-power-flasher? I am asking that because I (probably erroneously) think that kernel-power-flasher will ask to flash the kernel power into the nand, to substitute the Nokia stock kernel.
Yes kernel-power-flasher is needed. But if you have u-boot already installed, kernel-power-flasher will ask you if you want to flash kernel power into nand or not.

And in general, question number two, which is the minimum set of packages needed for this kind of configuration? I'm gonna try to guess, and please, let me know where I am wrong:

* kernel: yes because it is needed by U-boot?
* kernel-flasher: yes but it is substituted by u-boot-flasher, and it can be removed if U-boot has to remain installed
* kernel-modules: yes
All these packages are needed for stock kernel. And because u-boot has attached stock kernel, all those packages must be installed.

* kernel-bootimg: no because U-boot is launched into this kernel "session"
This is optional package, contains bootimg of stock kernel. It was used to create uboot combined image (uboot+kernel)

* u-boot-flasher: ??? needed for installing U-boot; would it be possible to remove i after flash?
* u-boot-tools: yes
Both packages must be installed if you want u-boot.

* u-boot-for-power-kernel: not necessary, obsolete package?
* uboot-mkimage: not necessary, obsolete package?
* uboot-power: not necessary, obsolete package?
* uboot-pr13: not necessary, obsolete package?
All these packages are really obsolated and should not be installed (conflicts with u-boot-flasher).

* kernel-power: not needed?
* kernel-power-flasher: no if one use U-boot?
* kernel-power-modules: yes
All these packages must be installed if you want kernel-power in device (both u-boot or flashable version)

* kernel-power-bootimg: yes, needed by U-boot to launch the kernel power
This package is needed if you want to boot kernel-power from u-boot

Thanks in advance.

pkz

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
@pali: thanks for Your answer, however I am wondering why HAM (or FAM or apt-get) got stuck in a unconfigured situation like the one described by sowwhatyoureap.

I mean: after his first tentative, he was not able to install the new kernel (KP52), and then, after Your suggestion, the installation process with HAM was not able to automatically complete the configuration of kernel-power-settings, because kernel-power-flasher was missing, and apt was not able to recognize that kernel-power-flasher had to be installed too.

In my case, a similar situation arose when I moved from multiboot and KP 51r2 to U-boot and KP 52: the fact that kernel-power-bootimg does not provide any more all the KP features leaded me in the same situation: I coudn't install kernel-power-settings. At present, I managed the situation as reported in

and precisely I do not have kernel-power-flasher installed, and I continuously reboot changing from KP and stock kernel, without big problems (sometimes, when i boot with KP, I need to retry 2 or 3 times before the KP starts).

In any case, it seems that the dependency declared into the control files of the KP and kernel-power-settings packages are not sufficient to let apt-get or Ham to automatically complete the process.

What do You think about it? And if You agree, could we re-think the structure of the dependencies?

Thanks in advance.

pkz

I cannot add features back to -bootimg package because it breaking new clean installation of kernel power (search threads for more info). HAM and FAM are broken by design.

But you can fix it by installing kernel-power-flasher package (Linux kernel for power user) via HAM too.

See installation instructions again from first post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
kernel, kernel-power, kernel-power52