Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Australia
Hi,

Does anyone know if the N900 supports Nokia's SU-8W Bluetooth Keyboard in the same way the N810 presently supports it?

Cheers,

HID (the bluetooth protocal for input devices like keyboards) is disabled. Though I think it just takes a quick edit to the text file to enable it and then a reboot.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Can someone with one of the demo units please test this and work up a set of instructions? I have one of these keyboards, but I am sure a lot of people will be interested in bluetooth HID devices in general. I am very curious about mouse/keyboard support, what with Quake 3 demos showing up all over the place

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Probably, given HID works. If it won't work I'll post about it here as I have a SU-8W.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Australia
Thanks for all the replies. It's reassuring to know that it should be supported.

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Hi,

See the Maemo wiki : Fremantle Unsupported Bluetooth Profiles, on how to enable the bluetoothhd input plugin (HID host).
In order to use a Bluetooth Keyboard.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WilliePre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The SU-8W was so poorly supported on the N810 that it was almost unusable. I believe it was a driver issue and not the keyboard itself. The bug was reported by a number of users and a fix was promised in Fremantle. I'd want to verify it works before dumping $100 on an unusable keyboard. The fact that you need a hack to use the keyboard isn't very promising. Also that keyboard has special function keys for Nokia phones which weren't supported on the N810. I love my N810 but the whole bluetooth keyboard thing was a major disappointment. I've ordered a small USB keyboard to use with the N810 but am unsure if that option is really available on the N900.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

It's not necessarily a hack to use the keyboard, it's more the fact that HID as a bluetooth protocal is just disabled in general through a simple text file (why I have no idea since it seems to work just fine for people who have tried it). Maybe it was for security reasons, who knows.

But after you just delete HID from the line and restart the bluetooth service (either via command) or a restart and it should work.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
I activated HID and tried to SU-8W. The results are not very good as the modifier keys do not work so one cannot input numbers etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jukkar For This Useful Post:
Does anybody know if other Bluetooth wireless keyboards, such as a HP would work with the N900? Is the Bluetooth protocol enough for them "to understand and talk to one another, or a special dedicated driver would be necessary?

The Following User Says Thank You to george8 For This Useful Post: