Active Topics

I get to start using my N900 tomorrow.

I'm figuring out which email clients are better/worse (will probably configure all) [use with gmail]

* IMAP -- The N900's doesn;t support IMAP IDLE right. Annoying omission really. IMAP IDLE is perfect for these devices!
* nokia messaging - Had bad experiences with reliability on S60. Hopefully maemo better. Formatting was the best though
* Exchange sync - I used this with google on S60 and whilst simpler, it was very reliable

nokia messaging works well with gmail on the n900 - low battery load and instant message delivery.

Nokia messaging has the same reliability as s60 ==> "unreliable"

You'll have no idea when it will go down next, but it will..

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
Exchange works quite well after the firmware update :-)

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
I've been using the N900 with a IMAP server (dovecot) since I got it. My inbox isn't huge though, and I have about 20 folders. I try and sort things as much as possible. Thus far the N900 has been perfect. I've been able to check email, reply, etc. And it roams off the WiFi onto the 2G network (AT&T) and I've yet to have the email stall or fail to pickup any new emails that have arrived. Granted everyone has had different experiences, but mine has been top notch. I don't see myself switching to anything else.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
nokia messaging works well with gmail on the n900 - low battery load and instant message delivery.
That's good to hear, although it seems experiences vary. In theory this *should* work the best if well implemented as otherwise why do your own client (and specifically use a custom protocol) rather than use IMAP or exchange. Only if it adds value

Of course that's the theory. Somehow I think I'll be configuring all mechanisms

Mailbox is large (it's gmail, around 1Gb), although "inbox" fairly controlled (<100)

IMAP worked perfectly for me using the built-in mail client (modest) and my own IMAP server, though at the moment I find it a lot nicer to run mutt in an xterm, just like I do on my laptop.

Originally Posted by josh View Post
IMAP worked perfectly for me using the built-in mail client (modest) and my own IMAP server, though at the moment I find it a lot nicer to run mutt in an xterm, just like I do on my laptop.
Care to fill us in on how to set that up and run it? Id like to learn more about linux and thats as good a place as any. There is that custom command widget that I think I can plug the xterm commands into and it may be a really good mail system replacement.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by josh View Post
built in client still has the problem\bug that sent messages are saved locally and not in imap sent folder, right?

Mine still has that bug... I'm on the newest firmware too.