Hi folks,

Got my 770 a few hours ago - what can I say, it's a damn nice toy, and I just might get something useful done with it as well! Lying on the couch while surfing the web is a rare luxury, and finally I can read my email anywhere in the house. My two year old son was very excited about the sharp and clear puppy-pics we watched together on the tablet. Now he seems to think it belongs to him...guess I have to buy another one!

Now, the problems. I wasn't very pleased with the email reader. I have two different mailboxes to watch, one from my Internet provider (a POP-account, username zup1) and an IMAP-account at my office (username zup2). Naturally my outgoing mail goes through my Internet provider's SMTP-server. The office account is my main account, and the POP-account is there just because it is there.

There was no problem in setting up the two different accounts. Unfortunately, the email client does not display the folders in my IMAP-account - it simply downloads the headers into the local Inbox folder. This means that both accounts share the same Inbox-folder. That's not the way I like it - I want to remotely browse my IMAP-folder.

Also, when you create an account you cannot specify one username for the incoming mail and another for the outgoing. My default mailbox should be my IMAP-account, having the username zup1. But then I can't send mail through my Internet provider's SMTP-server, since I'm zup2 at that one. So I have to define my POP account as the default mailbox, and separately check for mail at my IMAP-account.

Minor problems - maybe. But they irritate me a bit. Any chance of having a Thunderbird-port for the 770 in the near future?

Cheers sez

Zup

The Imap support is lacking in a number of areas:

1. Where are my folders
2. Why aren't the messages I deleted on my laptop removed when I synch my e-mail

These seem to me to be a couple of fairly major omissions for an Imap client

There needs to be separate representations for different accounts really, like in Thunderbird...

I'm sure someone will write a better client.

sylpheed or evolution (it's more "gnome")

I don't have the tablet with me at the moment, but I could have sworn that there is an option to choose whether download headers only or the whole message...

Originally Posted by gadget1974
I don't have the tablet with me at the moment, but I could have sworn that there is an option to choose whether download headers only or the whole message...
There is. it's in the advanced settings, Retrieval Tab. Options are Headers, Messages and Messages and attachments.

Yeah, but that won't sync the folders which is what we are asking (unless it's a very bizarrely named option).

Originally Posted by Smiley Dan
There needs to be separate representations for different accounts really, like in Thunderbird...
Yes, and a username-password combination for the outgoing mail that is independent of the incoming mail accounts.

So speaks

Zup

I'm probably going to port my IMAP client to the 770 at some point, if there's interest - it'll be a spare time project, so I can't really give a release date. It should address the problems, and it'll also include support for the IETF's IMAP extensions for mobile devices (in other words, LEMONADE). It'll be open source, GPL licensed, etc.

Originally Posted by dwd
I'm probably going to port my IMAP client to the 770 at some point, if there's interest - it'll be a spare time project, so I can't really give a release date. It should address the problems, and it'll also include support for the IETF's IMAP extensions for mobile devices (in other words, LEMONADE). It'll be open source, GPL licensed, etc.
Well, yes, I'd say there's a clear interest, at least on my part. The more I use the email client, the less I like it. One tends to get spoiled when using such flexible and versatile tools as Thunderbird.

sez

zup