Just introducing myself. I came to this site since I purchased the Nokia N800 a couple of days ago. Still trying to figure out how to get online with it via my motorola Q with a SERO plan. But alas, Im sure it's on here somewhere. People here seem cool so Im looking forward to looking around.

Hi turbopro!

I don't know the Motorola Q or the SERO plan, but here's some stuff about getting the tablet to connect through a phone:

The important feature any phone has to have is support for the Bluetooth profile called DUN (aka dial-up networking). If your phone has this then it will probably work with the tablet. You can find out what profiles your phone has from its official tech specs which are usually available on the manufacturer's page and many unofficial sites.

The second thing you have to take into account is that some phone network operators, especially those in America, may block people from using their phone as a modem. They do this because they want people to pay extra to unblock this feature. If you phone your network operator they will be able to give you more details.

Sweet, thanks for the help. Yeah, I figured that sprint blocked this service somehow. I do believe that I am running windows mobile 5 and not six, which uses DUN. I'll just have to do some further research. Again, thanks for your help, and I'll update this thread with my success with the Motorola Q with the unlimited data SERO plan on the Nokia N800.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey dude, welcome. I've been here about 2 years and this is the place for tablet info. I've only got two pieces of advice... take your time because all of this can seem overwhelming at first... and have fun.

Thanks for the welcome. I have found out that sprint charges 15 dollars a month to use the phone as a modem. I originally bought the N800 to surf the web via my cell, but if I have to pay a monthly fee to do that on top of my current monthly cell charge, Im gonna have to return the N800 since that is its primary function(for me that is).

Turbo, how much does sprint charge you monthly anyway?

30 bucks a month for unlimited data, 500 anytime minutes, and unlimited nights starting at 7 and unlimted weekends.

If you have a Mobile Broandband unlimited data plan via sprint then you can teather. Sprint really means UNLIMITED. But you might not have the EVDO Mobile Broadband Unlimited data plan...that is the only plan which allows teathering.

Many people think they have an MBB plan but they don't they have a web access type plan. Yeah it's unlimited but only via the phone and that means not a lot of data really.

You could also get a USB or Express Card modem with an EVDO wifi router if for some reason your phone does not work.

I am with Millenicom, a new small ISP that offers MBB over Sprint's network. I pay $49.99 w/o a contract and they give me the modem. Of couse if you cancel you have to return the modem with ALL the original materials, box and everything. After a year I understand it your modem.

But if you want it you should be able to ADD the MBB via your SERO plan. I forget the price but it's around $50/mo (but something tells me it's less) with a 2-yr deal but they offer a full 30-day trial.

You can snoop around http://www.evdoforums.com and find oodles of info...just don't ask questions about any ISP other then Sprint or Verizon or they will smack you down as the site is just a place to push products from the 3gstore. They are pretty afraid of competition I guess.

Well, I got it to work and it works pretty flawlessly. I had to download pdanet, but it was worth it. Sprint Charges 15 dollars a month to use the phone as a modem, so I just paid the 34.95 dollar fee to use PDAnet and surfing the web is pretty damn fast and easy.

So it leads me to this, I probably don't really need the tablet now that I have seen it in action on my laptop. It works just as well and there are apps on my laptop that I just can't use on my N800. I got the unit for $179, so I guess I'll just return it.