Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Houston
OK. I was a little lazy on this one. I always use 'tab' for the paths and I just went ahead and issued the command gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY and it worked. I now have a DEFAULT listed in the 'connection manager'. Now, I tried to pair the phone again but I still get the same error message. I also went back to run the 'btup' script from the earlier post and I get a permission denied as 'user' and 'root'. Maybe a chmod? Strange because I didn't get a permission denied before....

Update -- $btup = my up script -- did a chmod 777 btup and reissued the script and

Nokia770-39:/home/user# chmod 777 btup
Nokia770-39:/home/user# ./btup
./btup: 2: use: not found
Using /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/bnep.ko
Waiting 60 secs for bnep0............................................. ..........
Error: bnep0 not available.
Nokia770-39:/home/user# pand -Q10
Nokia770-39:/home/user# pand -l
Nokia770-39:/home/user# udhcpc -i bnep0
Nokia770-39:/home/user# ifconfig bnep0
ifconfig: bnep0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Any ideas?

Last edited by pcman; 2007-01-07 at 04:50.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
You don't need to be paired to the phone from what I recall. Also, the script has to be run as root, so when I run the script, it automatically SUDOs to root.

All I do is
-connect to the Dummy IAP
-Open up Internet Sharing on my phone and hit Connect which sets my bluetooth to be discoverable
-run the UP script.

I tried the following:
1. gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY
"gives error "No value to set for key: 'DUMMY'
2. Ran ./btup
Error: bnep0 not available.

I'll keep trying. I must need to setup a network interface for bnep0? Seems like the script may not be setting it up properly.

Maybe I need to change this?

# real script follows
BTADDR='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
IP=192.168.2.2
GW=192.168.2.1
NS=192.168.2.1
IFACE=bnep0

Last edited by pcman; 2007-01-07 at 15:23.

Oh, right, yes. You need ot change the BT ADDR, otherwise, its not going to know where to look. I originally connected my T-mobile Dash via PAN to an WinXP machine and did an ipconfig for the other stuff, but I think you need to run
somthing to find out the BTADDR but its not pand -l since I can't seem to get that to work on my 770

Last edited by phi; 2007-01-07 at 15:44.

I did have the BTADDR set to the N770 BT address which I found from the /tools/control panel/Device.

I'll change to the phone BTADDR. Also, when I pand -l it returns to a prompt.

I tried I again and no luck although I know the N770 is 'pinging' the phone because the phone will briefly lightup when I run the script.

What about changing these values as memeber Luna did? I'll give it a try.

IP=192.168.0.170
GW=192.168.0.1
NS=192.168.0.1

UPDATE

I changed to these values and still no go.

On the phone I have 'PC Connection:' set to 'BT PAN and is 'connected'.

Last edited by pcman; 2007-01-07 at 16:02.

I have
IP=192.168.0.2
GW=192.168.0.1
NS=192.168.0.1
IFACE=bnep0

If your phone says its connected, then you're halfway there. sounds like your having forwarding issues. sorry I'm not of much help but I configured this thing 2 and a half months ago and haven't had to touch it since.

I appreciate the help.

When I mean 'connected' I mean the phone is set to share the internet via BT Pan. Although, I have used the phone as a modem for a laptop which works great. Just doesn't seem like the N770 is getting an IP.

I tried the settings you listed but no luck. I'm going to try the other IP,GW, etc. again.

I also note there are no settings in the DEFAULT connection. Is that the same as yours?

All I have to say is Thank You!

I've got it working. What I had to do was go into the current pairing on my phone and delete the n770 that I was previously trying to pair. When I reran the script on the n770 I was prompted to connect/enter a password on the phone, entered 1234, the N770 then prompted for a password, entered 1234, tried to connect to my website and voila, it worked.

Thanks again.

Now to check out the speed. Update - 330 kbps! Nice.

I plan on putting together a guide for this to post. I spent many hours trying to get this working.

Last edited by pcman; 2007-01-07 at 16:58.

Here is a summary of how I got it working.

Date: January 7, 2007
Subject: How to connect Nokia 770 internet tablet with Cingular Blackjack cell phone for internet sharing (Make sure you have a data plan with Cingular first)

1. Create the following 'bluetooth connection up' script (I called this 'btup') in the directory of your choosing, I used /home/user

Script was taken from the internettablettalk.com/forums - Thanks fanoush, phi, et al
#!/bin/sh
# use gainroot to become root and relaunch itself
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
#if not already root, call itself as root
sudo gainroot <<EOF
$0 $*
EOF
exit
fi
# real script follows
# enter your cell phone BT address below
BTADDR='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
IP=192.168.0.170
GW=192.168.0.1
NS=192.168.0.1
IFACE=bnep0

#insmod just to be sure
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/bnep.ko
#start PAN Bluetooth connection
pand --connect $BTADDR

# wait for the interface created by pand
s=60
echo -n "Waiting $s secs for $IFACE"
while [ $s -gt 0 ] ; do
ifconfig $IFACE >/dev/null 2>&1 && break
s=$((s-1))
echo -n "."
sleep 1
done
echo
if ifconfig $IFACE >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
# bring it up
echo "OK, bringing $IFACE up"
ifconfig $IFACE $IP up
route add default gw $GW
echo "nameserver $NS" >/tmp/resolv.conf.lo
else
echo "Error: $IFACE not available."
fi

2. Create the following 'bluetooth connection down' script (I called this 'btdn') in the directory of your choosing, I used /home/user

Script was taken from the internettablettalk.com/forums - Thanks fanoush, phi, et al

#!/bin/sh
# use gainroot to become root and relaunch itself
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
#if not already root, call itself as root
sudo gainroot <<EOF
$0 $*
EOF
exit
fi
# real script follows
echo -n '' >/tmp/resolv.conf.lo
pand -K
sleep 1
rmmod bnep

3. Run the following command as root on your Nokia 770.

gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY

This will create a DEFAULT connection for your internet connections on your Nokia 770.

4. Make sure you have deleted any reference to the Nokia 770 bluetooth pairing on the phone.

5. On the Nokia 770 go to Menu/Tools/Connection Manager/Menu/Internet Connection/Change Connection/'select DEFAULT'

6. On the phone and go to Internet Sharing, make sure 'PC Connection' is set to 'Bluetooth PAN' and select 'Connect'.

7. On the Nokia 770 run the 'btup' script as root in the directory you created the script. i.e. /home/user/./btup

8. The phone will now ask if you want to pair with the Nokia 770, select Yes and when prompted enter the password 1234 on the phone.

9. The Nokia 770 will now prompt for the password, enter 1234.

10. Check your internet connection to make sure it works.

11. Check your speed at http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed/

Good luck!