I always get a "invalid tar magic" when i try to decompress an archive.
the way i use the tar is: tar zxvf archive_name

And the archives are not rar files, as i've seen in another thread on this forum. Anybody has any clue? I even installed tar again on another folder and used it (actually i've used the tar installed when i've modified the N770 for dual boot).

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Having this problem too (trying to install a monome emulator http://monome.org/ ).

I guess I'll have to try untar-ing it on my Mac, zip it up and send back to the Nokia...

Also, following the instructions on the monome site, they say to use the switches xjvf but tar on the 770 doesn't understand the j option...

I guess the 770 must have quite an old or non-standard wget?

The "j" option is for bzip files, which the tar on the 800 (or 770) does not understand. If you re-zip the file as a .gz and then use the "zxvf" option, it should work.

K.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
You're right, it was a .bz2 - cheers for explaining what was going on with that one

(yeah I meant tar, not wget )

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
I have the same problem on my N810:
Code:
/media/mmc2 $ tar xzvf mpfr-2.3.1.tar.gz
tar: invalid tar magic
/media/mmc2 $ gunzip -c mpfr-2.3.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -
tar: invalid tar magic
Edit: I've tried the 5 formats (gnu, oldgnu, v7, ustar and posix) handled by GNU tar to create the archive and get this error in every case. The gmp-4.2.2.tar.gz archive can be untar'ed.

Any idea?

Edit: I've reported a bug: BusyBox v1.6.1 has broken tar.

Last edited by vinc17; 2008-03-21 at 09:29. Reason: additional information

I just want to bump this because I am also having this problem - I can't untar any file on my N810, but I can untar them just fine on a normal Ubuntu box.

Has anyone solved this?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
For me, tar.gz = tar zxvf
tar.bz2 = tar jxvf
tar = tar xvf

Of course, add xarchiver repo and grab bzip2 and gnutar incase

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Aha, well tar still doesn't work, but I installed gnutar and it gets the job done.

Thanks.

a) If you don't have GNU tar, just use 'bunzip -c file.tar.bz2 | tar tvf -' (or xvf -). Obviously you still need bzip2 installed.

b) The file name may be incorrect. Use 'file mystical.fiilename.strange.extension' and see what it tells you. It should be able to identify it as e.g. a gzipped file, or just a plain tar file, for example.