Posts: 36 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ California
Originally Posted by romu View Post
You need to remove the adaption0 repository. Check with the guys on IRC to be sure.
removing adaption0 did the trick. Thanks!!

No multirom required for me. The install path was

Unlock+root Nexus 5-> install TWRP recovery -> Under TWRP install Cm11 + factory wipe + install 1.1.7.28 image on top of that -> upgraded to 1.1.9.28 with wiki instructions (OTA upgrade).
Later 1.1.9.30 and 2.0.0.10 as OTA.

I'm going to use it as my second daily driver and report findings here.

Problems so far (updated 2016.01.14):

Finally I gave up Sailfish with Nexus 5 because of call issues caused by stuck sensors (screen blanking didn't work during calls).

* Keyboard sound and haptic comes and goes. More often doesn't work than works. Same goes with keyboard sound btw. Less annoying if I just turn them off completely.
* Video recording crashes camera app
* No 4G
* Touch sensitivity is good, but it is harder to successfully trigger long press action compared to Jolla. Very noticeable in a moving bus.
* Calibration issue with brightness; suddenly went very dark and brightness slider run out of scale. Reboot fixed.
* Battery in the standby mode (~34 hours in idle standby). The problem is caused by sensor processes. See https://bugs.nemomobile.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837 . Battery usage during actual use of the phone is on par with Jolla phone.
* Because of sensor processes eventually getting stuck, you have to reboot the phone daily. This is to clear up situations where you answer the phone and the screen does not blank out but keeps getting contact with your ears and cheek.
* Some applications from Jolla store still don't scale properly (Compass as an example), but there are no scaling issues in OS itself anymore.
* Applications using HERE Maps as base don't work (Transit Live), as it does not exist on Nexus 5 (licensing I suppose)
* Scrolling in some apps (Contacts) is a lot worse than on Jolla for some reason. UX elements are very smooth, as is sailfish-browser too, so it isn't about the performance.
* Rotation stuck to landscape in applications once (no patches). Reboot fixed. This seems to happen once in every few days, and because of this it is best to enforce orientation into portrait under screen settings.
* Often calendar alarms cannot be acknowledged. You get the alarm sound but the screen stays off. When you open the screen, the alarm is not visible anymore.
* No account support for Microsoft's activesync. For calendar and contacts you have to use services that support CalDAV and CardDAV. Good to know beforehand if you are not in the position to choose from.

[* I claimed before that there was 'No word suggestions in virtual keyboard'. Actually there is; you have to install jolla-xt9 package. This was described in the first post of this thread. Stupid me.]

Obvious drawbacks:
* There is no aliendalvik, so no those few useful apps such as are needed for flight check-ins. It is this kind of thing is where it starts hurting if you don't have an extra mobile device with you.
* No double tap to open. (Kind of workaround is to have LPM mode enabled, so you can doubletap while the screen is on when you take the phone out of your pocket.)

Overall:
We all know Sailfish pluses such as swiping, good contacts app with xmpp-integration etc, so of course I'm very happy with SailfishOS on Nexus 5. (Update: Or was until the sensor problems started to be really irritating.)
It does not run out of memory, doesn't need swap, is stable and has a bigger and far clearer screen than Jolla has. It also has better pocketability, while being pretty much 1:1 in size. Thinner but couple of millimeters longer in the middle.

I'd switch to it as my main phone from Jolla anytime should it have aliendalvik. I like emulators on android, and they are almost nonexistent in pure Sailfish environment.

Last edited by Manatus; 2016-01-14 at 07:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
I'm going to use it as my second daily driver and report findings here.
Great initiative but aren't there better place(s) to be reporting?
Just seems like a waste if it's only being seen by ~5% of devs.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Great initiative but aren't there better place(s) to be reporting?
Just seems like a waste if it's only being seen by ~5% of devs.
I think stuff this general is already on their to do list. I thought that I'd write down anything noteworthy about daily use, just in case someone may want to give SFOS a try on Nexus 5.

It seems to be good enough for daily usage, minus these small niggles. I've used it now for several days as a work phone without any issues. Hasn't crashed and has been reliable so far.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Fair enough...

You just never know the things that may get missed by them, extra eyes observing issues & reporting them where they're likely to be read -could be helpful.

But doing so here (as you say), can also be helpful for end-users considering "dipping their toes."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Has anyone else tried SFOS 2.0 Beta0 yet?

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...for_hammerhead

I've been playing with it all day. Things feel more stable and snappier overall!

The Following User Says Thank You to Demati For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I run it on a daily basis since day 1. I totally replaced my Jolla by the N5. 2 things I really miss:
- I didn't find any working flashlight application, what is strange is the flash is indeed well controlled by the camera application.
- a navigation application similar to Here (offline, vocal guidance, etc).

Originally Posted by romu View Post
I run it on a daily basis since day 1. I totally replaced my Jolla by the N5. 2 things I really miss:
- I didn't find any working flashlight application, what is strange is the flash is indeed well controlled by the camera application.
- a navigation application similar to Here (offline, vocal guidance, etc).
'Torch plugin' worked on the Nexus 4 last time I run Sailfish OS on it.
Have you already tried that plugin on N5?
https://openrepos.net/content/sfietk...jolla-settings

The Following User Says Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Just tried, doesn't work.

I think the nexus 5 has a diff api for it. Easiest way to check it is if we can get hold of the cameraplus source for nexus 5 because the torch on that worked.