Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You know... this is a little rant that I've saved up but it's not targeting anybody in particular. In fact, feel free to disregard it since I truly have no point; only observation.

Whenever I see the conversation steer towards Qt, I tend to read that as a career choice that's being affected by what's going on at Nokia. You chose to become educated as a programmer, employed as a programmer and ultimately invested in that field and invariably you will find tools, frameworks and workflows that compliment your career choices. To me, that's Qt...

But if you're a Linux fan, that's a life choice. You've chosen to follow the meritocracy that is open source and embrace it on any/all devices that you will own. It could be argued that a career choice is a life choice, but bear with me for a moment.

What's going on with Nokia is how they've basically killed off Maemo, help kill off MeeGo and now killed off Meltemi - never noticed it before, but all of the dead OS's at Nokia begin with the letter M that were open source (somewhat)... hmmm... making room for Microsoft I guess - has affected some people's life choices of supporting open source operating systems and the like.

But as a programmer, we're always learning new tools, new methods and new frameworks. But we'll never have another chance to own another Maemo, MeeGo or (now) Meltemi device. And that affects our life choices.

Qt is a different issue altogether. Elop isn't (yet) targeting it. He just killed the 3 M's above and Symbian.

That sucks... just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore.

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
A comment from Tomi Ahonen blog :

Yes, in Ulm people where working on two
Meltemi products.
One already got canceled. Oulu worked on
one product. Both where scheduled for Q1
2013. F*ck Elop, he is a Trojan from M$! I
don't know why he didn't take also the consequence and resign?!? Yes: Meltemi was going to be a
Smartphone (and Tablet!) OS
No: It was not really Meego based. Base
system was OpenSUSE based + QT on top. At least the following Nokia sites
contributed to Meltemi: Brisbane, Boston,
Vancouver, Berlin, Ulm, Espoo, Oulu,
Tampere. Regards,
--> an anonymous Meltemi worker that
got told, that he will be fired soon

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If microsoft buying nokia, they wouldn't announce it before it happens.

More likely. http://www.thewrap.com/media/article...-insider-44271

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-15 at 08:03.

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
everyone knew this will happen, this is how things fail, from household to corporation or country or planet ...

Both where scheduled for Q1 2013

Base system was OpenSUSE based + QT on top.
1Q 2013, oh dear. Why reinvent the wheel for christ's sake? The N900 with 600mhz and 256mb ram was running perfectly fine.

N900 was released 2.5 years ago, how could they possibly **** that up. Beyond comprehension.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
1Q 2013, oh dear. Why reinvent the wheel for christ's sake? The N900 with 600mhz and 256mb ram was running perfectly fine.

N900 was released 2.5 years ago, how could they possibly **** that up. Beyond comprehension.
They forgot about Maemo 6. . . That's how they "****"'ed that up.

Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
A comment from Tomi Ahonen blog :

Yes, in Ulm people where working on two
Meltemi products.
One already got canceled. Oulu worked on
one product. Both where scheduled for Q1
2013. F*ck Elop, he is a Trojan from M$! I
don't know why he didn't take also the consequence and resign?!? Yes: Meltemi was going to be a
Smartphone (and Tablet!) OS
No: It was not really Meego based. Base
system was OpenSUSE based + QT on top. At least the following Nokia sites
contributed to Meltemi: Brisbane, Boston,
Vancouver, Berlin, Ulm, Espoo, Oulu,
Tampere. Regards,
--> an anonymous Meltemi worker that
got told, that he will be fired soon
I bet Marko Ahtissari is the next one who resigns for "personal reasons" or because of "health issues"...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lets hope some angry bird leaks the source for maemo on his/her way out of the door

Elop did'nt kill maemo/meego/etc it was on life support before he joined Nokia, he just made the decision to pull the plug.

Nokia had missed the smartphone boat long before Microsoft came on board.

Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Dude you are overreacting. . . . .
is he? i hadnt been following it but just looked at the stock price and couldnt believe my eyes

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories