im not laughing at my own jokes yet but here are the answers to my questions. I copyed the flash plugin to ~/.mozilla/plugins/ and all is well . And no it doesnt handle youtube video well. can someone post the old plugin for me

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ok... I can't even get anything installed.

I have the correct repository as stated earlier - gregale free/non-free, the install file doesn't work for me, and I have Milhouse's download. But I can't install.

...and yes. I know I'm stupid. But care to help? Point me to a deb file or something at least.

The original browser plugins (before installing flash9) are in /usr/lib/browser/plugins/

The Mozilla plugin directory is /home/user/.mozilla/plugins/

You don't need to copy the flash player plugin to the mozilla dir, you can just creat a sym link,
ln -s /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so /home/user/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Backup your original flash plugin before installing the flash 9. That package simply overwrite the old one.

I couldn't get YouTube to work properly in OS2006 with flash9, it's all scramble. It also crashes a lot more.

Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
What is the proper way to start microb?

Buill
Oh, fast way:
1) run-standlaone.sh /usr/bin/browser --engine=microb
2) cd /usr/lib
ln -s libmicrob-eal.so.0 libmozilla-eal.so.0

Long way - wait while UI package s will be updated...

Ok, now all major problems has been solved...

1) "mozilla" instead "microb" engine (comes from old UI version)...
2) libsm, libxt, libice - packages has been uploaded to extras gregale..

The default setting seems to disable disk cache. I can enable it in prefs.js, but where is the cache directory? It would be better to keep the cache files on mmc.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by romaxa View Post
Ok, now all major problems has been solved...

1) "mozilla" instead "microb" engine (comes from old UI version)...
2) libsm, libxt, libice - packages has been uploaded to extras gregale..
Nope... still won't install for me. Red Pill method, apt-get install method... won't install. But it at least got further than the first time(s)...

microb-eal seems to be having a usr/bin/dpkg error 1 install error issue.

Last edited by gerbick; 2007-08-25 at 16:50.

Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
Instead of "cd /user/lib", it should read "cd /usr/lib"

I get this error when entering /usr/bin/browser

"Address type is unknown or unsupported
file://usr/lib/microb-engine/chrome/toolkit/content/
global/netError.xhtml"
Similar here.
I also get this error after installation, when trying to actually start the browser.

First I used the *.install file, which seemed to create two repository entries,
one wrong and one usable.
Then I had to use the program manager to remove the false repo entry manually,
and install the MicroB package.

After installation the program manager said installation was successful,
which wasn't really true, since the app can't be started w/o the above error loop...

Is that Flash9 package mandatory, or just needed for YouTube junkies?
Is the symlink mandatory, or should the browser work without it?

My 770 has OS 2006 (3.2006.49-2) , German localisation.

Any help appreciated - Thanks;-)

Ray

This is really good news, thanks to the OP ! I almost missed this thread, thinking the title was a question :-)

I guess this is what the Internet Tablet's browser should have been from the start. It doesn't seem any slower on startup than regular Opera - but the I didn't download and symlink the flash player, the absence of which I consider a feature. Afterwards it feels faster - especially when going BACK one page, like in minimo. And of course it groks Google Calendar, Maps and other AJAX-heavy sites, which is the whole point of an Internet Tablet...

Naturally it still has some rough edges, here are some I came across :

- is it only me, or the virtual keyboard doesn't work in tabbed mode ?
- bookmarks are shared with Opera, but logins, cookies and certificates are not (PITA :-)*
- "view" setting in "Hidden" menu is not sticky
- tends to shutting down the entire browser when asked to close one window, even more than Opera... also, it seems that closing a Tab does it every time...
- will sometimes take a long time or seem to freeze when loading a site for the first time (happened to me on ITT), but not afterwards...

Some questions in case anyone knows :

- in the App manager I have another package available named "microb-refui", what is that ?...

- is there any way to change the hardware key's behaviour like in Opera (up/down, short/long) ?

- about:config seems to work, but which parameter changes the default font size ?

Anyway, thanks to the Maemo team for taking the time to make MicroB available for OS2006, and thanks to Qim Gil for making good on his promises. This will tide us over until the new OS2007HE comes out :-)

2 getbick. i had the same problem use apt-get to install it tells you some programs that conflict and have to be removed