Notices

Just noting that Google/HP just re-released a full OpenSource version of Tesseract - a very nicely performing OCR engine. Maybe someone clever could incorporate this into doing a handwriting recognition substitute for the N770?

Personally I hope to be able to do a port of Dasher to the N770 at some time when all my current projects are wrapped up a bit more nicely.

By the way, does anyone know which method is usually applied to handwriting recognition? My first guess would be some neural networking code, as this seems like a problem made for it(at least on a character-by-character basis), but I don't know.

// Kny

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Please listen to me: we don't need any new-fangled schemes for HWR; the perfect HWR engine for handhelds already exists. It's called ParaGraph, is marketed a.o. as the Windows product PenOffice and does 99+% correct recognition of printed, cursive or mixed text in dozens of languages.

The only problem is that the company who makes it, Phatware, refuses to port the engine to Linux. And yes: I say "refuses", because the origin of ParaGraph is as non-Windows as it gets: ParaGraph started out as one of the 2 HWR engines in the Newton MessagPad (and those who never used a MessagePad will please refrain from stupid Simpson or Doonesbury remarks about it, it really really is very good).

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
sic'em Karel!!!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
a friend of mine should send me a MP2100 sooner or later; I'm totally curious to try the HWR because of how much people is talking of it

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by maxilogan
a friend of mine should send me a MP2100 sooner or later; I'm totally curious to try the HWR because of how much people is talking of it
I have two -- and they'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
I have two -- and they'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
AFAIR he's gonna get 5 or 3 of them due to a technical studio or dpt that's going to be closed, and alreay has 1 in a sort of museum (me also, I sent him a LG Phenom Ultra for this sort of palmtops/hpc/pda historycal colletion)

OT does anyone have a guide on howto install netbsd or linux on a WinCE 2.0 HPC? don't tell me 'bout jlime becuse its bootloader won't work with CE 2.0

Alternatively, I could get a CE 2.11 upgrade if someone has a ROM dump of it. No chanches with LG, it is no longer supported (at least in Italy)

Originally Posted by maxilogan
AFAIR he's gonna get 5 or 3 of them due to a technical studio or dpt that's going to be closed, and alreay has 1 in a sort of museum (me also, I sent him a LG Phenom Ultra for this sort of palmtops/hpc/pda historycal colletion)

OT does anyone have a guide on howto install netbsd or linux on a WinCE 2.0 HPC? don't tell me 'bout jlime becuse its bootloader won't work with CE 2.0

Alternatively, I could get a CE 2.11 upgrade if someone has a ROM dump of it. No chanches with LG, it is no longer supported (at least in Italy)
These are very useful URLs for me:

http://opensimpad.org/index.php/Main_Page
(this one is geared towards the Siemens SimPad, but there might be pointers to interesting stuff)

http://www.oesf.org/forums/
(just browse through them, you're bound to find something useful. I know I have)

http://www.hpcfactor.com/
(this site's main focus is Wince, but the forums have a section devoted to Linux)

Hope it helps.

While I completely respect the opinion that a very good handwriting system exists, and that it is a pain in the a** that it is not ported to Linux (for whatever reason), I have to say that the above reply is probably the least constructive I have seen for a while in an internet forum. And I do believe that is saying a lot...

If you were trying to convince them to port it, had suggested a petition for us to sign up to, were working on your own port or WHATEVER, that could in any way attempt at solving the problem of mediocre HWR in the N770 it could have been useful. Complaining about the strange priorities of this or that company and the cruelty of the world is akin to jumping in a pool wearing a jacket - it does nothing to keep you dry, but it sure does make you look silly ;-)

I was trying to solve the actual HWR problem faced by N770 owners, that would like to have the same options as MP**** owners have. So if you have any thing to add to that topic please post again, otherwise start another thread for complaints about the world or praise of the Newton - which, to be fair, seems praiseworthy.

// Kny

Originally Posted by Kny
While I completely respect the opinion that a very good handwriting system exists, and that it is a pain in the a** that it is not ported to Linux (for whatever reason), I have to say that the above reply is probably the least constructive I have seen for a while in an internet forum. And I do believe that is saying a lot...

If you were trying to convince them to port it, had suggested a petition for us to sign up to, were working on your own port or WHATEVER, that could in any way attempt at solving the problem of mediocre HWR in the N770 it could have been useful. Complaining about the strange priorities of this or that company and the cruelty of the world is akin to jumping in a pool wearing a jacket - it does nothing to keep you dry, but it sure does make you look silly ;-)

I was trying to solve the actual HWR problem faced by N770 owners, that would like to have the same options as MP**** owners have. So if you have any thing to add to that topic please post again, otherwise start another thread for complaints about the world or praise of the Newton - which, to be fair, seems praiseworthy.

// Kny
What makes you think that I -- and others -- have done nothing to try to convince Phatware to port their software?

But, as it happens, there is a nice, open source, Linux alternative for HWR. It's called Xstroke and although it was originally intended to be a Graffiti-like character recognizer, a developer on the mailing list ra German, Dr. Limburg, IIRC) recently offered to integrate his own HWR algorythms into Xstroke. I have to admit that, due to computer switches, I since have not renewed my subscription to the mailing list, so I can't tell you how the project is faring (Xstroke development was basically halted prior to the above-mentioned post).

As to Newtons, just one last jab: Before I bought my (still to arrive) Archos PMA430, I read up on reviews about it. One reviewer was complaining about the general "suckiness" of PIM applications in PDAs and referred to the (otherwise excellent) Agendus application and its magnificent level of data integration. My first thought was: Dude, Newtons have had that sort of thing built in since 1993!

That's it. For the record: your appreciation of the usefullness of my post was duly noted -- and binned.