Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
this seems to be the best candidate so far for a mid range "N900"
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...2018)-9340.php

then i hope down the line it can be "re-flashed" with full linux, the "Linux Deploy" is also a nice option, would like a maemo clone but also if somebody could just make a "maemo home screen" app that also comes with Message system like N900 and really want the task/window switcher the N900 has as it is still the best function and loved having message windows open so i could keep track of things etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
i am thinking of doing battery mod, remove the keyboard, fit a (or 2 or 3) massive battery/(ies). i had a 1800 maH (same as BL-5J) battery from a phone (B369) that was built by an Indian manufacturer LEMON that could be used in nokia n900 but without the back cover and my device showed like 900 maH in the status menu, device does not show values greater than what original battery had. i want to fit two or three of them but there is a problem, my device is in a very good condition so i will be looking for another one in coming days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
i am thinking of doing battery mod, remove the keyboard, fit a (or 2 or 3) massive battery/(ies). i had a 1800 maH (same as BL-5J) battery from a phone (B369) that was built by an Indian manufacturer LEMON that could be used in nokia n900 but without the back cover and my device showed like 900 maH in the status menu, device does not show values greater than what original battery had. i want to fit two or three of them but there is a problem, my device is in a very good condition so i will be looking for another one in coming days.
so you want to use your N900 without keyboard?

This thread is about building a "new" N900 out of an android phone like the Samsung A7, will also do the nexus 5 when i get one so we have that for the linux projects.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
This thread is about building a "new" N900 out of an android phone like the Samsung A7, will also do the nexus 5 when i get one so we have that for the linux projects.
I know what the thread means. I just shared what I wanna do just like you . u say nokia n900 without keyboard and everyone gets angry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
I know what the thread means. I just shared what I wanna do just like you . u say nokia n900 without keyboard and everyone gets angry
N900 without a keyboard is blasphemy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
true that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I would say that no GNU, no FOSS drivers, and a non Maemo5 UI is pretty treacherous too though.
I HATE the disorganized Android based UI experience and I also dislike how weak the CLI is even on LineageOS with busybox installed.
N900/Maemo5 I can do damn near anything up to writing an app using only some quick and dirty scripting; launch it from desktop icon and run it in a terminal window. because of blb drivers though we cant use modern kernels so we have trouble backporting stuff like a usable web browser.

Maemo/linux N series (with drivers exception)empowers users, Android is made to give phone companies power over users.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I would say that [..] no FOSS drivers [..] is pretty treacherous too though.
[..]
because of blb drivers though we cant use modern kernels so we have trouble backporting stuff like a usable web browser.

Another device that might be worth keeping in mind in the long term could be the Necuno Mobile [1], especially since Maemo Leste seems to be on the table. [2]
I don't see this device released in the foreseeable future, but that might be a chance to get in contact to agree upon a useful keyboard mounting interface.

[1] https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100458
[2] https://necunos.com/blog/necuno-solu...collaboration/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
I am thinking about designing a qwerty case for my note 9, this time 3d printed.
However, on this new phones, a slider keyboard is not practical because of the position of the camera and fingerprint sensor on the back. The keyboard would cover them:

That's why i think a flip option could be better:

And I think a note phone is a better option because of the pen which resembles the n900 pen

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I am thinking about designing a qwerty case for my note 9, this time 3d printed.
However, on this new phones, a slider keyboard is not practical because of the position of the camera and fingerprint sensor on the back. The keyboard would cover them:
https://i.imgur.com/IBimWR4.jpg

That's why i think a flip option could be better:

https://i.imgur.com/CRmChwN.jpg

And I think a note phone is a better option because of the pen which resembles the n900 pen
yes that is why i stated the "rules" for slide phone, but again after slide will do flip

Tags
3d printing, battery, hw keyboard