Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Nice!

That's great news! A few simple questions, if I may:

1) Did your cheek inadvertently press any of the on-screen buttons? Can you see this being an issue?
2) Would you speculatively rate the conversation as mostly private (inaudible to people within earshot of your voice)?
3) Was it easy to use it as a mobile handset (little fiddling with settings)?
4) Could you see yourself doing this again in the future?
5) Does the size make it awkward to use as a handset? Would one look like a tremendous dork?

Thanks, Karwee, you've been a fantastic help. I've been eyeballing the N800 due to the more accessible price, but have been reluctant due to the lack of a keypad and mic placement (a BIG deal for me). Now that I know the N810 can be used quite easily (and effectively) as a VoIP handset, the N810 wins. The odd location of the mic in an N800, and its slightly-too-large-size (including the camera bulge) makes it less suited for this type of talking (something I can see myself doing often). I'd much rather hold the device to the ear for short, private conversations. Longer conversations, I can comfortably use the speaker. Long private conversations can be used with a corded headset.

Can others in this forum see themselves using the N810 as a VoIP handset?

How many people use their Nxxx's for VoIP routinely?

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

i did, this past sept, on a cruise... it was very convenient, i paid for the internet connection which was overpriced big tyme, but, it was convenient.. shockingly.. gizmo5 crashed trying it on the ship out at sea, while the native voip talk app worked.. @ home on my comcast connection, it's the other way around, except the crash, the talk app just doesn't connect...

when the ship ported @ tortola VI, theere was no roaming @ all for any us mobiles, i grabbed wifi signals around the port, & further inland, & called back here.. it's tymes like this where this tool shines hard, & saves you money.. i didn't look geek'd out ither, i just walk or sat around with the thing extended out in the palm of my hand, on the ship, i mostly sat while talking, @ the bar, or lounge area.. i keep the gizmo account topped off around $40. & i don't even use it alot.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Great story! I especially like the part where the cellular customers couldn't make/receive calls, but the 'not-a-phone' tablet could! IRONY!

}:^)~
YARR!

Capperino

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I've done this many times, actually. One time in particular, I had forgotten my cell phone at home but I really wanted to know if a friend of mine wanted to meet me en-route as I was out and about. So, I stopped off at a local ice cream shop along the way where they have wifi (Stone Cold, although it seems like Friendly's has them as well, and a LOT of fast food restaurants and coffee shops too, like McDonald's and Burger King, although the BK wifi is totally free while McD's and Starbucks costs money).

At any rate, it was handy to have my Gizmo account with a few bucks already invested in outgoing minutes (and it seems that it's only costed me about $20 every year and a half or so, with my usage)--so it's been VERY cost effective and convenient. I just pulled in, got myself a little ice cream (I'd feel bad otherwise) and made the call and we both ended up headin' out to a movie later, as it turned out.

My N800 totally fills in all the gaps a cell phone couldn't--MUCH cheaper--and, despite lacking 3G or any kind of TelCo data plan, it's still serves me quite well coverage-wise what with all the free wifi access in the shops around the highways.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The other free (inside North America) calling option is the GrandCentral service and the GrandCentral Dialer (which I think is available in Extras now). Us Canadians can't get a local number, so you're not likely to get your local friends calling you using your GrandCentral number, but you can make free calls anywhere in North America and have it ring your Gizmo number so you can use your tablet for free phone calls. If you are in the States, you can get a local number and use it for incoming calls, too. Canadians can receive free phone calls using the GrandCentral "call me" web button.

PS: I don't do the "side talking" thing with my N800; I just use ear buds and hold the mic up to my mouth with both hands...

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-05 at 22:32.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The other free (inside North America) calling option is the GrandCentral service and the GrandCentral Dialer (which I think is available in Extras now). Us Canadians can't get a local number, so you're not likely to get your local friends calling you using your GrandCentral number, but you can make free calls anywhere in North America and have it ring your Gizmo number so you can use your tablet for free phone calls. If you are in the States, you can get a local number and use it for incoming calls, too. Canadians can receive free phone calls using the GrandCentral "call me" web button.

PS: I don't do the "side talking" thing with my N800; I just use ear buds and hold the mic up to my mouth with both hands...
Thanks for bringing that up! I used to do that a lot too.. but then I started to realize how CHEAP the minutes were on Gizmo... but GrandCentral IS a good way around paying at all.

Also, yes--I've used headphones and just talked into the microphone as well. but I don't often have my wired headphones anymore and I haven't tried using my Bluetooth headphones to make Gizmo calls yet. I might just have to try it tonight, now that I'm reminded about it.