Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
I got a project for you Dexter. (no killing involved though).

Write a desktop widget that reminds you that you left the camera slide open.

- Check first that the camera or flash has not been used for 2 min.
- Prevents scratches to reckless people like me
- Some flashi text on the desktop telling you, camera slider is open you doosh!

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I got a project for you Dexter. (no killing involved though).

Write a desktop widget that reminds you that you left the camera slide open.

- Check first that the camera or flash has not been used for 2 min.
- Prevents scratches to reckless people like me
- Some flashi text on the desktop telling you, camera slider is open you doosh!
LOL - just edited my previous post (because I don't like double posting) but that seems like a slightly more reasonable project to work on first!

Though I have NO idea how to create a desktop widget, only just got to grips (very loosely too!) with making a "normal" app!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Thank you once again! Once I have the time I shall continue looking into PyQt development, using eric4, but first need to worry about managing my current workload and moving house.

Your tutorials/guides are exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for!

Just need to think myself up a little "project" to get me started with!

[Edit] Infact, after moving house I shall have a project to work on. I plan on getting a QNAP NAS drive, that I shall be setting up a MySQL db on for logging my hours. Would it be possible to create an app for my N900, that could connect to the MySQL database from any internet connection in the world (3G or wifi), with the ability to append, view & edit data?

Apologies for the specific question, just want to know it's possible, not how it's done.
Yup you can as long as the database is accessible externally - got it working with mine last week - just tested the connection (Also tested MSSQL fine)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Yup you can as long as the database is accessible externally - got it working with mine last week - just tested the connection (Also tested MSSQL fine)
Cool, thanks. Looking forward to getting my NAS! Long term, I'd like to use MySQL, with a web front, to replace my current Access DB, with logging hours, invoicing, basic accounts, etc. But in the short term, a nice little N900 app that can just input my hours will do nicely. That can easily be imported into my Access DB.

Anyway, that's far enough off-topic, sorry. I'm sure in a month or so I'll have plenty of questions to ask!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Cool, thanks. Looking forward to getting my NAS! Long term, I'd like to use MySQL, with a web front, to replace my current Access DB, with logging hours, invoicing, basic accounts, etc. But in the short term, a nice little N900 app that can just input my hours will do nicely. That can easily be imported into my Access DB.

Anyway, that's far enough off-topic, sorry. I'm sure in a month or so I'll have plenty of questions to ask!
You can do all sorts of fun stuff. I also have a QNap and regularly use my N900 in combination with it, mostly with some custom scripts for the download station. You also have wizard mounter, which makes NFS shares a breeze. Twonky is not fully cooperating, but I believe that has more to do with my hackery than QNap

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I don't think so, he is talking about stuff not working on his n900,
I am having problems converting the UI file to PY file on my windows 7 machine... way before putting anything on my n900.

I know I can install windows xp vm / ubuntu / but for the 1st time since years, I actually have an OS on my PC (windows 7) that I really like, and really enjoy working on. (Iv'e tried ubutnu several times...).
Is that Win7 64bit?
I've managed to use pyuic4 with a windows 7 32bit.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You can do all sorts of fun stuff. I also have a QNap and regularly use my N900 in combination with it, mostly with some custom scripts for the download station. You also have wizard mounter, which makes NFS shares a breeze. Twonky is not fully cooperating, but I believe that has more to do with my hackery than QNap
Cool, I hope twonky works properly with my N900, the initial reason for me wanting a QNAP is to store all my Music, Videos & Photos to stream to my PS3 and N900 (I was hoping that using OpenVPN, I'd be able to access the shares & Twonky from anywwhere).

I'm testing my wings on this coding stuff (never done anything apart from some crude command line C++ programs) and with my luck on the <20 lines I wrote I already managed to use syntax that apparently isn't supported in the Python version found on N900.

It's mentioned in the Python documentation that the "with ... as ... :" statement (recommended for reading files) should be available in Python 2.5, but apparently "the with statement is only allowed when the with_statement feature has been enabled.". Can I somehow enable that feature or should I just change it to something else?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Hm, maybe this can help:

from __future__ import with_statement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
That did it, thanks!