Hello everyone,
I have had N810 with Maemo and Mer for a while, then upgraded to Aigo MID.

Recently my Samsung Epix that I have used for work got on my nerves (hangs etc) so I decided it is time to upgrade my phone.
After a little fight with my wife I dropped almost $550 on N900.
I was ready to live with only EDGE connection (stupid AT&T) as long as I would have stable phone with required features (Exchange push support, Wifi and decent web browser).

Unfortunately none of the advertised N900 features work.
802.11x PEAP-MSCHAPV2 with WEP doesn't work and is resolved as WONTFIX (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417) N900 just asks for WEP password and completely ignores the settings I have set for workplace WLAN manually. So WiFi is broken for me.

MfE doesn't seem to support client authentication with personal certificate and it doesnt support provisioning. Therefore it will not work with Exchange at my workplace. So Exchange support is broken for me as well.

So I just paid $550 for a brick. Whats worse is that Maemo developers are not interested in fixing any of these problems.
Therefore I will try to reset this phone to factory settings and return it to Amazon.

It is back to crappy WinMo for me. But at least it works in enterprise environment.My second adventure with Maemo is over in 2 days.

Bye everyone.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Did you update to PR1.1, the last update? That solved a lot of people's complaints about Exchange support.

Otherwise, sorry to hear the bad news man...

Yes I did update.
I'm sorry too. The UI is great and it is awesome to use.
Not to mention Quake3 ;-)
But what good is Q3 on my phone if I the most important function that I need (Exchange) doesn't work.
I refuse to buy DRM ridden iPhone or evil big brother Googlephone so I will have to stick with old rickety WinMo.

The Following User Says Thank You to 0xDEADBEEF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States
Nothing wrong with WinMo, especially running on HTC HD2! As I enjoy my N900, HD2 for T-MO is next on my list o-O

The Following User Says Thank You to LuckTR For This Useful Post:
hah I'm too am fed up of this. Same as you at my workplace we're using a similiar configuration and I cant connect, just says autentication failed. nice fail device, it did not live up to my expectations. I think I would be selling it and buy the iphone

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston, MA
i too returned my N900 to Amazon. i still have a N810. my problems were similar also, AT&T with EDGE, tried T-Mobile and the phone had issues keeping a connection. i can't justify EDGE speeds anymore, it's just too slow, epsecially on a smartphone. furthermore, i was hoping that Ovi Maps would come out with turn-by-turn navigation, but that doesn't seem to be the case until Maemo 6. i haven't had a WinMo device in years. i tried a N97 mini, but S60 v5 really is not fluid for touch screens and the N97 mini build quality was terrible (Made in China)...i've had several E Series devices that are much better build quality (Made in Finland). i'm thinking of getting an E72, or i'll have to wait 1 more year for something better from Nokia, hopefully Maemo 6 based.

i too will be getting rid of my n900. it is too unstable. basic things are not really weeded out. i need more than jus the featured functions. i need at least a reliable phone and smooth integration of applications. nokia really neglected this one in my opinion.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
agreed. fun phone to "play" with. otherwise its pretty bad.

If what you are looking for is a nice and stable work-horse, I would recommend an E71. Should be cheaper than the E72, perhaps is not the most eye-candy phone ever, but gets the job done.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
If what you are looking for is a nice and stable work-horse, I would recommend an E71. Should be cheaper than the E72, perhaps is not the most eye-candy phone ever, but gets the job done.
The Nokia E71 is a lovely little machine. Solid, too! As I have mentioned before, I do sort of miss mine. You can probably get one at a good price from eBay...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post: