Hello, I am in need of some serious answers/replies for my unusual situation. I accidentally broke my phone today by destroying the charging port.

The phone would not charge due to a loose connection to the mainboard, which I found out later. So upon trying to fix it with a little wiggling I eventually broke off the piece that was solder on.

If anyone has some suggestions as what my next step should be that would be great. Phone works 100% fine, just no longer able to charge.

I don't mind repairing it because I have VERY valuable/important information stored so I am afraid that when they replace the mainboard, if they do, I will lose my settings and memory stored directly on the phone's hardware.

So heres a little recap:
•Want to repair, afraid of losing information
•Phone from newegg and is 3-4 months old
•Send back to Nokia for repair?
•What should I ultimately aim to do, with no loss.

I even considered finding a phone with a similar battery to charge that battery so I can re-use my N900 until repair. I am really sad, help!!

Hello.
The best thing you can do is pass the reparation under warranty.
If you can't, you should buy an external charger from eBay and charge the battery using it. Many people do it.
You could also get a powermat if they sell one in the future for the N900.
Hope it helped

EDIT: I just saw that you got it from newegg. If you got a warranty, good, but habitually you'll only get a 1 month warranty. Your broken usb port is also a motherboard problem and it needs to be changed too. This is nearly unrepairable, I think.
Stick to my first idea of buying an external charger.

Getting the cheap battery/charger combo off eBay sounds like a great stop-gap measure. While that works you back up all your necessary data. When you are certain you have your backups in order, ship the poor dear away to be fixed.

Now I'm getting more and more nervous about my charging port. Maybe I should send away for a battery and charger now!

If the N900 still has some power - back it up now. You can run a backup to the internal memory, and copy that plus the other contents to a computer via WiFi.

I ran a back-up right before it died. It's currently dead and will look into repair costs etc, I don't think warranty will cover this even if I am under it still.

Also Because the motherboard definitely needs replacing, will I lose my information? Does anyone know if the information is stored on that or connected to it in some sort of way? I just don't want to lose my data.

Thanks for the timely responses!! And if anyone has a link to this ebay charger/battery combo that would be great, I am not sure what to look for.

Thanks again everyone!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
search ebay for "n900 desktop battery charger" (16 results in uk). may as well search for a spare "bl-5j battery" (lots of results) while you're at it, save u not having a phone while it charges.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Just google bl-5j.

You can add charger and or battery if you want, or n900.

Also, someone on this site listed chargers just a few days ago, you could search for that.

Are the batteries sold on e-bay any good? I'm thinking I will be buying the charger/battery combo and see how that turns out.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Nokia is aware of "a" / the problem with USB port coming lose / breaking off of the motherboard. It should be no problem to get it fixed under warranty from Nokia. Definitely backup all your important data / remove if sensitive and send it off to Nokia.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by EvoXLover View Post
Also Because the motherboard definitely needs replacing, will I lose my information? Does anyone know if the information is stored on that or connected to it in some sort of way?
Yes, the eMMC is soldered to the mainboard and the rootfs flash is inside the OMAP3.

Originally Posted by EvoXLover View Post
I just don't want to lose my data.
Isn't that what the backup is for?